1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFE pro dry cold air intake or AEM cold air intake tube

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dirtboyz, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.

Sounds pointless because u were talking of a totally different intake in the first place haha

2. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    after seeing the little useless tube that enters the fender is what looks pointless to me.

3. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Sorry man. You already have your answer. I can't see why you'd want the tube other than for looks. At least with a dry filter setup like the Volant or AFe your filter is better than stock so you are getting some value out of what you paid. That's all I'll say. Best of luck with your mods :thumbsup:

Dirtboyz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    And like I said in the beginning just wanted insight on the two different ones. It started off in the right direction but it seems like you are getting but hurt because you were comparing and airaid tube vs the tube I was talking about.

5. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    maybe you should quit your job and apply for Toyotas engine efficiency team, clearly you know more than they do.

A solid tube on a moving engine is not a good idea no matter you look at it or where its placed.

Go solid mount your engine and trans then it will be fine.. until then you want as much articulation in your parts as possible.

6. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    See that is what kind of opinions I was looking for! Thanks by the way. My thinking with the tube is it has less bends and I would still obtain my OEM air box. Thinking a little better air flow but didn't know if anyone had any experience with it or not. I'm not just going to jump and buy an intake just for looks. But thanks again for the helpful insight.

7. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've had the first version of the TRD which was made by AFE and is similar to the AFE 2Si CAI. Throttle response was most improved. According to the TRD dyno, there was some gain but very minimal.

Dirtboyz[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Sorry I wasted your guys time. It seems here lately this forum is getting less and less helpful because people go out of their way just to bash on their thread. But I do appreciate the guys that gave the good intentions and that goes for you to red lobster. I know you had good intentions with the rest. I wasn't trying to cause a pissing match but I don't post on people's threads if I don't have the answer so I would have rather not had any replies. But it is what it is. Thanks fellas.

9. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4

I tried to order a TRD from the local dealer to stay Toyota which I know is made by someone else with the TRD stamp on it but they told me they don't make them anymore for the newer trucks because of the air pump

10. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I don't think they are making the 1st version of the TRD at all anymore. The second version is made by AEM. If you get the AFE 2Si, same as the 1st version TRD (minus the auxilary air scoop on the bottom for TRD). The price has gone up a lot though. I saw my receipt for the TRD and I paid $325 shipped from a Toyota dealership in TX.

11. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4

Yea they are not cheap. Do you regret getting it or no. If you had the option would have stayed stock?

12. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    No regrets at all though don't expect a power increase that you can feel. Worked well with the URD Maf Cal. Throttle response was the most noticeable difference.

13. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    If I were to just change my drop in filter to a dry filter since currently have k&n which do you guys prefer? AFE or AEM?

14. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I use AFE pro dry in other vehicles. I don't like oiled filters.

15. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4

Yea I don't expect a noticeable power difference but a better throttle response would be nice. What did you have to do for the URD MAG calibration? Is it just a different MAF and is that something I should wait until the warranty is out?

Products Discussed in

To Top