1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFE pro dry S filter?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ETaco23, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Jul 30, 2008 at 7:43 AM
    Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    Yes please post part #s for both pieces as I am looking at making this one of my next mods and I had heard +s and -s of the oil based filters (mainly the dirt thing). So if someone has a way to improve the performance of my Taco even more... let me at it :)

2. Jul 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Not really knowing what motor you have by your info.?
    If you haven't done anything yet you have options.
    The true CAI's that replace everything from the thottle body out aren't cheap. Anywhere from $250 and up. Some at this price are sucking air from the engine compartment as well. Limited gain if any.
    The Toyota airbox setup isn't really that bad and does suck the air from outside the engine compartment through the fender well area. A drop in replacement oil free OEM type filter would offer better results than some of the high dollar ones for that reason for $45. If you still wanted more power and are slightly mech. inclined there is the deck plate mod. that some on here recommend.
    Personally the only reason I go with an aftermarket drop in is maybe slightly more responsiveness and the fact that they are cleanable and reuseable and usually pay for themselves within 3 factory type air filter replacements.

http://www.afefilters.com/IntakeSytemstest.php

3. Jul 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM
    Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    My apologies. I do have the V-6 and have done nothing to anything (yet - getting the exhaust done tomorrow - Flowmaster 40). So I was mainly trying to figure out if it would be better to just change the drop in filter and see what I get (as I am not mechanically inclined enough to want to monkey with cutting holes in anything) or pay to have a complete intake system put in. Just trying to get a guage on if I will see better results one way over another and if the "full" intake is worth the extra $$$$ (and I would probably want to stay away from the oiled filters )

4. Jul 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    honestly, with the actual deck plate mod being dyno'd and the cost of the deckplate versus the cost of an intake.........do the deckplate mod and get and good drop in filter, honestly probably the best bang for your buck there. and you'll see results!

5. Jul 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I ran the K&N drop in on my '89 and '99 and never had any trouble with the oil issues. I think most of that is simply over oiling when cleaning. On the '99 I actually drilled several .5" holes in the front of the air box between the honycombs towards the grill and never had any issues including water from driving in rain. I went with the oil free this time because of ease of cleaning, it is supposed to filter better, and eventual cost savings which would apply either way you choose to go.
    Also welcome to TW.

6. Aug 2, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    i had a hard time finding a pro dry s filter for a 08 2.7. i found an AFE filter but it was a pro guard. will it still have the same benefits as a Pro dry s?

7. Aug 2, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    IIRC the Pro Guard will need to be cleaned and re-oiled, but the Pro Dry doesn't need to be re-oiled.

8. Aug 2, 2008 at 8:26 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You might also look at the AEM Dryflow. Also a good non-oiled filter that I've used in the past.

9. Aug 3, 2008 at 12:07 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 [OP] Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    The part # of my filter that I just put on my K&N CAI system is 21-30018. But everyones system is different the hight might need to be shorter to fit or something else. But I just highly recomend this filter, its awsome!

10. Aug 3, 2008 at 12:26 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:

Here you go on part number.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=AFE31-10123/534.0

You should also consider removing your secondary air filter for best bang for the $$.

11. Aug 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    hey thanks. yeah i do plan to do that. i asked at the dearlership and they said that people that did it had problems with the MAF and check engine light. i figured it was just some bullshit response for me to keep it in there.

12. Aug 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Haven't read or heard of any of those problems from removing the secondary filter. Have read that there is more of a noticable performance difference when removing it on the I4 vs. the V6. ;)

13. Aug 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    grantfire319

grantfire319 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KENTUCKY
    Vehicle:
    05 DOUBLE CAB TRD SPORT 4.OL
    Secondary Air Filter removal. More to come hopefully.
    I have been reading all the hype on AFE and I am convinced. Problem is, is I can't find a friggin link to get one for a 05 4.0L. I have found some links, but there asking 60+bucks for them. Is this the right price? Seems like several of you have got one for cheaper.I know the 2.7s are cheaper but is this the right price for a 4.0L?

14. Aug 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Check the group buy thread and you may get a cut yet. I purchased mine in Jan. for $44 including frt. so yes they are popular and have gone up $$ a bunch. :eek:

https://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=AFE31-10114/534.0

Direct is now cheaper than where I got mine???

15. Aug 13, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    JesseJames

JesseJames Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    6" Pro Comp Stage II Lift, 35" Mud Grapplers, TRD CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust...
    I have the TRD CAI on my 08 Tacoma and want to swap out the oiled filter for the AFE Pro Dry S, but I don't know which one I need. Does anyone know which model would fit? Please Help!

Products Discussed in

To Top