1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Affordability: Tacoma vs. Wrangler

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Glowyrm, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jul 23, 2016 at 12:51 AM
    Glowyrm

Glowyrm [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey folks,

I've been pretty set on getting a new Jeep Wrangler as my first 4x4. However, after reading up on it and watching a ton of reviews, I'm concerned about the safety factor, especially in the event of getting t-boned. That has led me to consider a new, V6, 4x4 Tacoma as an alternative. I'm wondering, though, about how much more I'd end up paying for the Tacoma. For instance, the Wrangler I would get would be about $31-32K MSRP, with a volume dealer in VA offering 7% off of invoice with no other discounts involved. The Tacoma SR5's I looked at (available in dealer inventory locally) were just a hair over $33K MSRP. Could I expect to get a similar amount off on a Tacoma, or are they too new a model to get a great deal on? Are there any Toyota volume dealers in the South East known for giving great deals? My wife and I are in Florida, but we're willing to travel a ways for the right price, and a mini-vacation on top of it!

Thanks for any advice!

2. Jul 23, 2016 at 12:59 AM
    Glowyrm

Glowyrm [OP] Member

Member:
    I should probably say that 99% of the vehicle's life will be spent on the road. I will probably get off road once a month, and we're in Florida, so it's well, flat.

3. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:01 AM
    JayDubya

JayDubya Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 White DCSB TRD OR
    Id be more concerned with cylinder head issues from a 2012 and newer wrangler, water leaks, electrical issues, and "the wrangler rattle" on the 6 speed manual transmissions. You might want to google each of those extensively and make your decision from there.

No vehicle is without issues peculiar to that vehicle. Pick your poison. lol. You are wise to research, read forums, interact with owners, etc.

And, btw, I owned 2 Jeep Wranglers prior to my Tacoma. There are others here who have owned them or currently still own a Wrangler. Maybe they will chime in, but as for me, Ive had 2 Wranglers back to back with major powertrain problems. Your money, your choice...just make sure that "you" are happy with your choice.

securekey, TOMRR, 5lugturtle and 5 others like this.
  4. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:37 AM
    Glowyrm

Glowyrm [OP] Member

Member:
    I hear you. I don't want to spend more in the long run in repairs than I'm saving up front. I'd also plan to get a late 2016 or 2017 model year Tacoma, so I hope they'd have worked out a lot of the new model kinks by then.

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of Toyota dealers as to whether they'll match the 7% off invoice that seems to be the standard bargain-to discount on Wranglers.

For my relatively light-duty off road intentions, will a V6/auto/4x4/SR5 Tacoma do well enough?

5. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:47 AM
    300AACTaco

300AACTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black '15 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    ARB Old Man Emu 90000s and 60091s OME 886s, Trim Packer, Icon Tubular Uniball UCAs, CMC, Invisible Sway Bar, Dakar Rear Leaf Packs, Timbren Rear Bumpstops, All Pro U-bolt flip up kit, Method Race Wheels NV 16X8 4.5BS, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16, DEPO Black Tail Lights, Weathertech Floormats, Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Shasta in Earth Tone Green, Custom Green Tree Fabrication Bed Rack, N-Fab Spare Tire Bed Mount
    Jeep reliability.... Meh. The jeep offroad group here in AK is always breaking something on their rigs on the same trails my tacoma goes on lol

6. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:51 AM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    The Tacoma will defiantly match your off road intentions no problem. I've wheeled with guys who handle their new tacos through some pretty tough stuff

7. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:58 AM
    JayDubya

JayDubya Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 White DCSB TRD OR
    Not sure where you are getting Wranglers 7% below invoice, but buy all you can then resell them for a profit! lol Now, if you are talking about 7% off window sticker, then that isnt quite as good of a deal. Here, Wranglers go for sticker or around $500 below window sticker price.

I have a friend that worked for Chrysler. He got me the friends and family discount, which is 1% below invoice. It is the same as the Tread Lightly and Costco pricing. I had to shop around and get 2 dealers competing on price just to get 2% below invoice. Chrysler/Jeep has a 3% holdback off the invoice.

Edit: An SR5 is more capable than what 90% of us will actually do with our stock trucks, myself included. Selecting the right tread design for the area you will be off roading is the single best modification you can do for your truck. Compare each Tacoma model, drive each and see what you like the best and is within your budget. Go from there.

SandyTaco4x4 and TacoRD16 like this.
  8. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:59 AM
    Glowyrm

Glowyrm [OP] Member

Member:
    OK, thanks guys. Yeah, I checked on a few different builds on Toyota's site. Looks like I could get what I want for $32-33K MSRP on a SR5/4x4/V6/auto. And they do have the builds I'm looking at in inventory, even in the very short-range, local search that the site does. Now I have to figure out what is a reasonable discount I can work towards.

9. Jul 23, 2016 at 2:05 AM
    Glowyrm

Glowyrm [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah, it's absolutely 7% off of invoice. Koons in VA offers it to members of a couple of Jeep forums, no haggling required. Folks on the Wrangler forums are always pushing it as the best deal going. Allegedly, some other dealers will match it, too. I'm in Florida, which is known as a horrible place to negotiate on a Wrangler, so a trip to VA isn't out of the question. I contacted a Koons rep via e-mail, and he confirmed that they would honor the 7% off of invoice, and that this didn't include any of those crazy discounts that no one qualifies for. No discounts at all.

If it wasn't for the safety issue, I'd probably stick with my original intention to buy a Wrangler. But I can't stop worrying about us getting t-boned and my wife getting injured. So, the Tacoma is sounding better and better.

Hell, side air bags aren't even standard on the Wrangler. They're around a $700 option.

10. Jul 23, 2016 at 2:10 AM
    bigmw

bigmw Not-So-Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeastern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue DCSB Sport 4x4, manual transmission
    Bunch of different mods
    Wrangler: pay less up front, pay more for repairs later
    Tacoma: pay more up front, less on repairs later
    That's my Coles notes summary.

11. Jul 23, 2016 at 2:43 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    This about sums it up. Tacoma you'll be riding in style:thumbsup:
    This is a TACOMA forum. Now go ask the jeep guys the same thing. Just remind them
    FIAT= Fix It Again Tony:rolleyes:

Michal006, RIDER34, David K and 2 others like this.
  12. Jul 23, 2016 at 2:48 AM
    Glowyrm

Glowyrm [OP] Member

Member:
    LOL, yeah, you know your reliability is going to go down when you merge with Fiat.

On the safety front, I did some more research. The current Wrangler got a Marginal (second-to-lowest) score on side impact crashes, with Marginal results for head injury and Poor (lowest) results for torso injury. Yikes. The new Tacoma is getting much higher ratings.

I know this was originally about affordability, but hell, what's more expensive than medical bills?

Here's a summary of the 2016 Tacoma:

NHTSA Crash-Test Ratings
    Results are for the 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited V6 4x2 Double Cab 127.4 in. WB

Other, Overall Rollover Rating

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation. NHTSA provides vehicle safety information such as front- and side-crash ratings and rollover ratings. Vehicles are rated using a star rating system from 1-5 stars, with 5 being the highest.
    IIHS Crash-Test Data
    Data based on: 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited V6 4x2 Double Cab 127.4 in. WB

Head Restraints and Seats:
    Dynamic Rating Good
    Overall Rear Good
    Seat Head/Restraint Geometry Good
    Moderate overlap front:
    Chest Good
    Head/Neck Acceptable
    Left Leg/Foot Good
    Overall Front Good
    Restraints Good
    Right Leg/Foot Good
    Structure/safety cage Good
    Other:
    Roof Strength Marginal
    Side:
    Driver Head Protection Good
    Driver Head and Neck Good
    Driver Pelvis/Leg Good
    Driver Torso Good
    Overall Side Good
    Rear Passenger Head Protection Good
    Rear Passenger Head and Neck Good
    Rear Passenger Pelvis/Leg Good
    Rear Passenger Torso Acceptable
    Structure/safety cage Good

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  13. Jul 23, 2016 at 3:03 AM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    image.jpg Don't forget about the wrist injury cost for doing the jeep wave to everyone who drives by in a wrangler.

14. Jul 23, 2016 at 4:58 AM
    CarsonTaco#16

CarsonTaco#16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad
    Stage 7 Icon coilovers lift, toytec front diff drop, toytec/icon u-bolt flip kit, icon rear hydraulic bump stops, spidertrax wheel spacers, 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Method NV Race Wheels, Morimoto Elite Hids, Morimoto Led fog lights, rocky road outfitters super sliders, Gobi stealth roof rack.
    image.jpg Owned A Wrangler ever since I could drive. They are great vehicles and will last a lifetime of you take care of them properly, but Tacomas might be a notch better. I traded my 2015 in for the new 2016 TRD Offroad and have no regrets. Both are awesome vehicles though can't go wrong with either choice

15. Jul 23, 2016 at 5:07 AM
    0311K1LL

0311K1LL The Old Breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Jupiter, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR AC 2.7L 4X4
    OME 887 w/Bilstein 5100's, 1.5 AAL, SPC LR UCAs 285/75/r16 Toyo AT2s!
    I am a diehard Jeep fan and owner. I currently have a built 95 YJ. I have had a 85 CJ-7 and a 99 Long arm TJ.

You don't want these new wranglers (2007-2017) JK. They are garbage. The last good wrangler was the 97-2006/ the TJ. The 4.0 straight six was completely bulletproof.

However, a Jeep's suspension/design will go further than any Tacoma on offroad. But they are totally different vehicles!

My honest opinion- let the hating begin from all JK owners.

TOMRR, rlx02, ne_dan and 4 others like this.
  16. Jul 23, 2016 at 5:24 AM
    Rambeaux

Rambeaux Diäb soulé

Member:
    Jerkwater, USA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blk TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB
    Cracked W/S
    Op, a jeep will walk the dog, off road in wise, on a tacoma every day of the week. The wrangler is WAY more mod friendly. If you're doing some heavy wheeling, I'd go jeep. If you're like me and only see the occasional sketchy boat ramp, go 4x4 tacoma. I had 2012 wrangler and I only had issues with the stereo. I have a 16 TRD sport now and love it. The jeep was fun to drive but the tacoma is a WAY nicer, better built, better looking, more efficient and probably more reliable. As for affordability, you'll likely spend more modding the jeep just because it's fun and easier. Good luck!

Joe23 likes this.
  17. Jul 23, 2016 at 5:57 AM
    Gander

Gander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellis County Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4 Tacoma
    This plus add the resale.....would be Tacoma for me

18. Jul 23, 2016 at 6:08 AM
    BBartow

BBartow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Port Richey, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '95 Ram 1500 V8 & '01 Ram 2500 V10
    Head cracking was 12 & 13 only

maddog72 likes this.
  19. Jul 23, 2016 at 6:10 AM
    0311K1LL

0311K1LL The Old Breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Jupiter, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR AC 2.7L 4X4
    OME 887 w/Bilstein 5100's, 1.5 AAL, SPC LR UCAs 285/75/r16 Toyo AT2s!
    Oh and it's a JEEP. Safety rating is almost non existent lol.

Jeep-ultimate trail rig, will walk circles around Tacomas all day.

Tacoma- more practical for camping/recreation, hauling the boat, safer, better commuter, build quality top notch, resale value!

maypearl, licktheenvelope and bigmw like this.
  20. Jul 23, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    R100R

R100R Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra Access Cab 4wd 5-speed
    Ask yourself do you want a convertible or a bed in the back? If collision safety ratings are a major concern go with something other than a Wrangler (or order one with the optional side airbags). Either way with a Wrangler or Tacoma you'll have one of the best resale vehicles out there.
    I will say my 2015 Wrangler has been completely trouble free, it's never been back to the dealer. JK's from 2013 on have been sorted out. It's night and day better than my previous 1997 TJ in every respect with a better ride on and off road, more ground clearance, smoother engine with more power & torque, zero oil consumption, better 6-speed manual, and much better mpg (19 average).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Sam B likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top