1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

after market brakes suggestions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dylandercole, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Jan 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    For a while my car shakes when braking at highway speeds, so i assume the rotors are warped or something along those lines so iv been in the market for some new ones anyways. but now that I have the 285s I can definantly tell the loss in braking abilities. I saw the group buy for the slotted rotors but am uneducated on the subject. does anyone have any preference or suggestions?

2. Jan 15, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    slotted and drilled rotors run cooler than stock,i've drove with them before and really could tell no difference just daily driving.they may not warp as easily as stock since they run cooler.should have a better pedal at higher temperatures.............oh yeah,did you get that clutch in?

3. Jan 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    yea i got it in. took me over 30 hours but its in allright. runs great but the new throwout bearing is still noisy. but no way in hell im cracking it back open for that

4. Jan 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Drilled rotors are basically used for racing or in activities you might put your truck thru for quick dissipatation of heat. Slotted rotors are normally better for normal day to day operations since they also allow heat dissipatation quicker than stock rotors. Go to www.tirerack.com and there is alot of info on cost and other info. I would definately go with ceramic pads.

5. Jan 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    just got my slotted rotors, and they are In my opinion a great deal, and well worth it for the bigger tires. Im also ganna be getting new HAWK pads, and SS brake lines. My stopping ability went down hill after the new 285's.

6. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails

Read the post above twice....EverTaco (IMO) is spot on. Hawk Pads--Ake Bono Pads whatever...a good pad with slotted rotors is the way to go...I like Ceramic pads and they come in different name brands. The Stainless Steel lines is an excellent replacement as well.

7. Jan 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i saw your pics when you put it in,gettin derty.good job dude.:cool:

8. Jan 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    s/p slotted rotors and hawk ceramics.......from http://raceshopper.com/ ......ftw!!!! best prices and customer service that i have found.

9. Jan 16, 2010 at 12:25 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    that will help with stopping ability? my stopping really went downhill too after the new tires

10. Jan 16, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    a very definite improvement.....and i would also say,if you can afford them....some goodridge g-stop braided stainless brake lines.

11. Jan 16, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Thanks for the web link T-Man....I couldn't believe they had ATE rotors...a damm good choice in rotors as well....

12. Jan 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    If you are "Pushing' the abuse on your brakes why not "research" the total brake upgrade like some 4-Runner owners are doing.....I think you will find a "Tundra" kit or if needed like some FJ-40's are doing...Chevy kits....

Yes,new rotors or Better pads help BUT a "Pucker" factor brake experience due to a small brake system.....:eek::confused:..

Do the "MATH",rotors and pads constantly or pay it foward and know when you STEP ...it will STOP......;)....

There is a "reason" fully loaded Tundras stop as quick as loaded Tacomas...Toyota SPEC'd the brakes to WORK that way.....
    Imagine that...the Factory already did your "homework" ;):D:cool:...

S

13. Jan 16, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    yea but i feel like replacing the whole unit is going to create other unforseen problems. tire and wheel fitment that sort of thing

14. Jan 16, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
  15. Jan 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Brakes? What are those? Who needs those things anyways? :D:D

I just go with the Toyota rotors. Seem to work the best. Just my opinion though.

Products Discussed in

To Top