1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After-market factory sub in 2012 access cab?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by scongdon, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    scongdon

scongdon [OP] Taco Supreme

Member:
    First Name:
    Shann
    Grand Canyon, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    No mods... yet.
    Hey guys,

New to the forum, so first and foremost - hello! I just purchased my third Taco in sequence, a 2012 that still hasn't broken 600 miles.

That being said... I'm a little disappointed in the factory stereo. I installed some nice aftermarket stereo equipment in my '05 (which is all for sale, hint hint), so maybe that's part of it. Those speakers in the headliner are just worthless...

My question, before I trust the dealer, has anyone heard of installing the access-cab subwoofer (the factory model) after-market? I want to keep the factory interior of this pickup intact, and I know the access-cab woofers exist. Any help would be great.

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    That factory sub is not going to be cheap and chances are, will not add what you're looking for in terms of sound. I would explore other aftermarket options.

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    For the money you'd put into getting the factory sub you can get a much better after market sub and sound way better. Why not just move all the after market stuff into your '12?

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Bo Rocks

Bo Rocks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Long Travel
    I am interested in your sound system from your 2005 taco, send me a message about it!!

5. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    scongdon

Member:
    First Name:
    Shann
    Grand Canyon, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    No mods... yet.
    Whipper - I'm concerned about warranty issues... But I've thought about going that route. Any word on how invasive it is replacing those worthless laptop speakers in the headliner? Anyone tackle that bear?

As for moving my old equipment over (Bo, its less than a year old, will PM photos), I want to keep the factory look and stereo in this one. If the factory sub is that terrible, maybe amped after-market speakers are the way to go.

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    scongdon

Member:
    First Name:
    Shann
    Grand Canyon, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    No mods... yet.
    Snapper, thanks man. Ill look into the amped 6X9's, and maybe an under-the-seat sub. The dealership recommended a stereo place that I'm familiar with. Too bad the non-JBL system is such Crap. Real disappointment for a $30k vehicle.

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Martin Logan's, if I'm not mistaken.... too lazy right now to open their website to check logos

I'm surprised you posted this.... at first sight of the pic, I assumed it was Italyn :)

8. Mar 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    jspetrovitsis

jspetrovitsis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NEW HAMPSAHHH
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TX PRO
    Toytec/Eibach front coils, Bilsteins on all four, 2 '' AAL, Light Racing UCA, K&N CAI, Weathertecs front and back, Wet Okoles, Alpine INA W900BT in dash navigation, LED cab lights
    does anyone know if the stock sub is compatible with an aftermarket head unit??? I cant get mine to work

9. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    scongdon

Member:
    First Name:
    Shann
    Grand Canyon, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    No mods... yet.
    Not sure, but speaking from experience, you should be able to wire it up. Does the stock sub run off of RCA's or a line-out converter?

On a related subject, I broke down and just threw $700 of new stereo equipment at my truck today. Couldn't be happier.

10. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    ArcaneEdge

ArcaneEdge Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Ext Cab
    I am looking for a box to put in a sub in my 2011 Taco Access Cab as well. I didn't know they made them with stock sub though. This is my first truck/first Taco. Coming from a 05 Mazda 3 so this is all new to me. I cam across this:

http://www.supercrewsound.com/10tacoecconsole.html

Before I bought it I wanted to know what are people using out there and is this a good buy? It seems like people with Double Cab or Standard don't have an issue installing subs but people with Access Cab have very few options. Any help would be great, thanks!

11. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I don't have any experience with that specific box but the company is great I've gotten 3 boxes from them and all have come in a timely manner and are very well put together.

Products Discussed in

To Top