1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After much grief with Sumosprings I finally purchased firestone air bags. Need advice on controller

Discussion in 'Towing' started by freeriderchad108, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Apr 11, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    freeriderchad108

freeriderchad108 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport Silver
    A few minor things...
    Hey guys. I have a 2016 TRD Sport that I purchased Sumosprings for last year. They work great if I'm towing my heaviest boat and have 5 people in the truck with their coolers and I just filled up full of fuel. Unloaded they are harsh and uncomfortable. I use my truck as a daily driver and tow my boat across town to the wharf 2-5 times a week with the occasional 120 mile trip (each way) to my parent's summer house.

I just bought firestone airbags for the rear end and plan on putting them on in the next few weeks.

What I'm looking for are a few options that I haven't thought of, or advice for or against a product.

I want to control the bags independently so I don't run into any balance issues.

Manual control is the easiest, but I'd need to lug out a bike pump and make sure the schrader valves are in a place I can reach with the pump.

The next step up is mounting an air tank in my bed and using that to manually inflate the bags. Stops me from needing a pump every single time.

Next up from there is getting an onboard compressor like the AirLift 25804 kit. This allows me to see pressure and fill both bags at once. This isn't my ideal but I could settle.

The top of my budget is the AirLift 72000. Independent inflation, onboard compressor, wireless control. Should I just bite the bullet and do it right the first time?

Or... Should i just buy a bigger truck...

2. Apr 14, 2018 at 2:57 AM
    RBTaco

RBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 RC 4X4
    Trac rac, tow hitch, fog lights, tonneau cover, Texas Edition rims, custom console, weathertech floor mats.
    I installed the Firestone’s a few years ago. Install took me about 4 hours. They work great to level the truck while I’m towing. I ended up putting the fill valves in pre existing holes on the underside of the rear bumper. No problems getting access to them. I use a foot pump to pump mine up individually.

Poindexter likes this.
  3. Apr 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    Cocanyoncarver

Cocanyoncarver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD
  4. Apr 19, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    Poindexter

Poindexter Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    I did the same as @RBTaco , carry a bike pump in my bed tool box. Usually run 10-15 psi each side empty, about 25 psi with the bed full of green cord wood.

freeriderchad108[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top