1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After small *pop*, OEM radio DISK button unresponsive. USAspec to blame?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sook, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jun 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    I've had the USAspec iPod adapter installed for about 4 months; it's had some general flaky qualities. Yesterday I had been using for about 15 minutes with no problems. Stopped to get food, truck was off about 10 minutes. About a minute after starting truck, with iPod not connected, there was a very faint speaker pop and the radio unit shut off. The AM/FM1/FM2 buttons work fine, the DISK button does nothing. Doesn't turn on stereo or change function.

Truck off for about 3 hours, no change. Most of the way home, connected iPod again. Small delay in iPod recognizing "a noncompatable device." Disconnected it and immediately smelled blue smoke. Felt dash where USAspec is mounted (up and behind stereo) and was warm to the touch.

After I got home, I removed the stereo and took out the USAspec. It smells like blue smoke. Reconnected stereo without USAspec and DISK button still unresponsive.

1. I'm under the "certified used" warranty from the dealer. 3 yr warranty has expired. Extended warranty not purchased. Would a broken stereo be replaced under that warranty?
    2. Should I be forward with the above information when I take it to the dealer or should I remove all evidence of the USAspec and not volunteer any information?
    3. How much would a new OEM stereo cost if not covered under warranty?
    4. In your opinion, did the USAspec cause this? How?
    5. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for your help!

Updated:

Dealer confirmed radio is broken. It is not serviceable. It is not covered under certified used warranty. New replacement is $550, refurb is $275.

USA spec only offers warranty on units sold through authorized retailers. Stores on eBay are not usually authorized. I can ship it to them, at my expense. It's $30 to look at. More if the board needs to be replaced.

So yes, the USA spec broke the radio. Customer service was apologetic but unable to help satisfactorily.

I bought a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT.

2. Jun 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    sook

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Bump. Anyone have advice?

3. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    tacoman00

tacoman00 Your Average Joe

Member:
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD-Sport Silver Streak Mica
    Bilstein 5100's with AAL in rear, 265/70/R17 BFG KO2 tires on 17x9 Fuel Maverick Machined rims with 4.5BS and -12mm Offset.
    I Bow down to you my man. you can smell colors. thats pretty awesome! :p

4. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If you still have a warranty I would go that route but I would remove the USA spec. I wouldn't lie but I wouldn't offer any extra info either. Personally, I don't think the USA spec was the culprit anyway.

If you're out of warranty go buy an aftermarket head unit with ipod controls.

5. Jun 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    ^^this

6. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    sook

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ha! It's called blue smoke because that's the color of smoke that comes out when electronics die. Once you let the blue smoke out of something, it doesn't work anymore. And believe me, it has a distinctive smell.

To Top