1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Axles???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dadic 78, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    So my mechanic advised me today that both my rear axles are damaged (from the bearing wear) causing diff fluids to leak all over and contaminate my rear brakes... UGH...

I'm looking around for Aftermarket axles, but can't seem to find any. Does anyone have insight as to where I may be able to find some? OEM are NOT cheap!!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Apr 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    There use to be a bearing and seal supplied by off road shops to work on an axle with deep grooves . Cant remember the name but they worked well because the new bearing and seal would ride deeper into the axle housing eliminating the seal from riding in the same oem groove which stops the leak . In a nutt shell , the new bearing and seal would ride on a new surface . It wasnt a speedy sleeve .
    I will look around to see if these kits are available for the Tacoma . Would save you a lot of money . Maybe they were called axle savers:D
    EDIT : Here you go http://www.skf.com/us/products/vehi...ive/wheel-end/rear-axle-repair-kit/index.html

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  3. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    Dadic 78

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Ah, thanks SO much man, you're a life-saver!!! I'm going to look into these bearings today once the shops open up.

Where do you live, I owe you a beer! :)

4. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    I think it depends how deep the groove is. My old ford ranger fx4 level 2 had crazy expensive axles that no one but ford sold and I was looking at a replacement. The grooves were deep enough to leak but shallow enough to be ground down. I was on borrowed time but it lasted another several thousand miles at which point I sold the truck. Not a long term fix but it bought time and wasn't nearly as expensive as replacement.

5. Apr 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    Dadic 78

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    For what it's worth here's how this whole situation ended...

I searched high and low for the axle saver bearings, and unfortunately nobody seems to make them for the Tacoma. Not only that, but they're becoming scarce for all other makes and models as well.

I went back to my mechanic, advising him that this repair is going to cost me an arm and a leg! New axles, bearings, all the seals, clips, etc... $1800 in parts alone (and I have a bodyshop, this is my COST, over $2600 if paying retail). Then add the new brake shoes (due to contamination from fluid leaking), and you're looking at a near $3000 bill if paying retail.

My mechanic has a machinist on site who then assessed the axles, and concluded that the axles weren't the issue, rather the grease seal in the bearings was bad, and thus causing the leak. Nice find! Saved me $1200 in axles!

So to all you guys who will eventually experience this, be aware that the axles themselves don't need to be replaced, just the axle bearings.

Products Discussed in

To Top