1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Brake Calipers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by korslite, Oct 3, 2011.

1. May 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    Great info! Thanks for following up.. Did the stainless lines improve pedal feel? I just ordered SP rotors and Hawk pads and I'm considering stainless lines if they make a positive improvement.

2. May 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I'm a little late to the party but you can usually free up a stuck caliper with a good cleaning. Try that next time, you can save hundreds.

Don't know about the rest, but my '05 doesn't have rubber lines anyways. I wouldn't think upgrading to stainless (unless due to lift requirements) would see any benefit.

3. May 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    Thanks for chiming in on this old thread Fortech. I'm just gonna pop for lines along with the rest. It certainly won't be worse..

4. May 29, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    korslite

korslite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    I did not notice any improvement in pedal feel to be honest, the SS lines were purchased for the extra length to accomodate increased wheel travel from coilovers and removal of the sway bar. Also they are a bit tougher if anything were to snag up in there.

The caliper was not stuck, the actual problem was made clear in the post you quoted. Bad wheel bearing was the underlying issue.

5. May 29, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    I realize this, BUT you did not become aware of this until AFTER you replaced the caliper that you initially thought was stuck. The point I had intended to make, had you cleaned the caliper pistons that you thought were stuck, you would have realized the caliper was not the problem and not had to spend money needlessly on said caliper you didn't need.

6. May 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Point taken, this was a learning experience for sure, thanks. Nice thing is even with ALL the parts I bought I still paid a fraction of the cost of a wheel bearing job at a shop and I have new shiny parts on the truck. :D

7. May 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Not a problem. And the reason I knew this? I did the same thing about 15 years ago with a Mazda I owned. I also learned the hard way!;)

8. May 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    I think for most things I'd rather learn the hard frustrating way than pay the dealer or a shop to figure it out for me. Neither the dealer nor the couple shops I called in town had a clue what was going on when I talked to them. They suggested all the things I had tried already. There is a sense of accomplishment I guess even if you end up feeling like a bit of a 'tard when you figure out what should have been obvious. At least my time doesn't cost me $100/hr! Hopefully having posted up on here someone else wont take as long to figure it out.

9. May 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    ^^ This. I spent all of last weekend replacing a starter on my parents' 1991 Pathfinder only to later figure out that a scrub of the battery terminal connections was the only thing needed. That was a PITA to replace and wasn't even necessary, but I still felt a lot better than having paid somebody $600 bucks to replace it. Learned a little something in the process.

10. Nov 25, 2015 at 5:36 AM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    I'm a lot late to the party but I'll ask anyway. "How would you describe a good cleaning of the calipers?" My local Toyota stealership said that my brake calipers might be "binding" because "they don't apply immediately upon depressing the pedal" and they might have to replace them after they examine the brakes more thoroughly while they perform the standard brake job. I declined the quoted $400 brake job and the possible subsequent $700 caliper replacement.

I already ordered, received and almost ready to install the EBC Stage 4 Brake Kit (pads and rotors), but am hoping to avoid buying new calipers. Which leads me back to my original question:

Any tips and suggestions on how to clean the calipers properly?

Thanks Tacoma World!

I've never done any of this stuff until I found your website last week.

11. Nov 25, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Most important to keep calipers working is to ensure clean brake fluid. Bleed brakes as part of a maintenance routine. I would imagine spraying them with the pressure washer would clean them sufficiently. Road salts can play havoc over time.

Products Discussed in

To Top