1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Cruise Control - Good or Bad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rickochet, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    OzarkMK

OzarkMK Active Member

Member:
    Springfield Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Grey Access Cab. Currently Unmodified
    This is my first post here and on other forums I know reviving an unused thread is frowned upon. This seemed like as good a place to start as any. I am looking at buying a regular cab without cruise control. Has anyone done this recently with at 09 or newer Tacoma. Or can they point me to a more relevant thread that has more active discussion.

2. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    OzarkMK,

I have a regular cab with a installed cruise control. I my case the dealer had it installed by a third party. I did not know that it was so easily installed until later. There are several write ups here on TW about it. So yes, it can be done for about $100 in factory parts, a wiring harness and the actual control stalk. That is all that is needed IF the wires are in your steerring colum already.

If you are buying new, your dealer can have it installed by a third party. Toyota does not allow their dealers to install it after the disaster with runaway cars.

3. Jan 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    Airbrnrcndo76

Airbrnrcndo76 New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC. U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    97 taco
    Somebody mentioned the factory install is $120.00 and "Plug And Play".
    IT IS NOT.. Sure, it's a cheap part and install for the STALK but that does not include all the underhood components to complete the cruise install on a base model tacoma. Careful if you think you can order the stalk, install it, plug it in and your cruise will work. Better look under your hood too.

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I got my '09 before the runaway issue and my dealer wouldn't even talk about installing anything - cruise, VS wipers, DRL et al. and wouldn't even recommend a third party.

I found a third party that did after market stuff. They used the Rostra Kit which was about $187 which included everything including the wiring harness if needed back to the ECM. They charged me $80 labor so for about $267 I had cruise and I was very pleased with that price. I am an old geezer and I hate working on stuff anymore. The Rostra cruise has worked flawlessly for 4 years now.

Products Discussed in

To Top