1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket cylinder management system

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoDawgfan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Anyone ever heard of this? http://www.fuelsmart.info/index.html

Saw this on Gearz with Stacey David today. Thought I'd look it up. I think it's kinda high and better work for the $. I would be afraid it would void the warranty though. Also why aren't more manufacturers doing this from the factory? My wife's Accord has the factory version of this. I can't say if it really helps or not. Her car does average 28 mpg's, not bad for a 272 hp V6 imo. Thought's or opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=un9UUlFz0iQ

2. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    dusman

dusman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Windsor, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORDC MGM
    but wait there's more, if I order now I get 2 for the price of one and a free string of pearls!

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat

I like Stacey David, but I guess everybody has their price. Of all the mpg products out there, this looks like it would be the most legit. My biggest thing is if the “variable displacement” really works, then why aren't more manufacturers using it?

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I read up on this and here's the basics of what I found:
    Variable displacement is the same as cylinder deactivation -- intake and exhaust valves close for each "deactivated" cylinder, causing an air spring effect in those cylinders and creating virtually no extra load on the engine. Fuel is also cut off during cylinder deactivation.

Since this fuelsmart thing has no effect on intake or exhaust valves, it is not the same as variable displacement or cylinder deactivation, it's just a fuel cutoff. It could save some fuel I guess, but my Tacoma already has fuel cutoff on deceleration.

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
    Someone with money test it

Products Discussed in

To Top