1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Key Fob Programing Issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Budbudbuilds, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Jan 5, 2023 at 11:48 AM
    Budbudbuilds

Budbudbuilds [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    So I've looked all over and I've tried programming these fobs every way I could without success.

I'm hopeful one of you will have some information on what might be going wrong. I know that worst case, I bought the wrong fob for my vehicle but I don't have the corresponding code to check since I purchased my car without an original fob.

Images of the product and video of my problem are listed below. I have everything on Youtube (lower link)

Here's The Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096WBC82Z?ie=UTF8

Here's A Video of my Issue: <--- You Tube
    https://youtu.be/jEcaYcU1VXk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  2. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
  3. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    Budbudbuilds

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    @Dm93 I guess I just assumed it originally had fobs. Do you know how I might be able to check?

thanks for the reply

4. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:17 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Did you see the number on the one you bought "GQ43VT20T". This is the FCC ID Number and MUST Match the receiver for your truck.

FCC ID # on my 2012 Prerunner Access Cab and 2010 Highlander are both GQ43VT20T.

Two suggestions for you.

First: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-tacoma-won’t-go-into-program-mode.766275/#post-27468574

Second: Contact the parts department ( in person is better ) and ask them to give you the FCC ID and Toyota Part Number for the correct FOB. If they give you the FCC # at least you will know if you have the correct FOB or not.

TnShooter and Budbudbuilds[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:18 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    Look in the thread I posted, the keyless entry module (if equipped) is behind the glovebox.

upload_2023-1-5_14-18-28.jpg

6. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:27 PM
    Budbudbuilds

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    @Jimmyh so I’ve looked before I wasn’t able to find it maybe you’ll have some advice on where it might be (it could be staring me in the face)

As for talking to the dealer. I originally tried this and they were not very helpful or willing to give me suggestions since I didn’t buy the key fob with them, maybe I’ll try again if nothing else works.

image.jpg image.jpg

7. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    Budbudbuilds

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    @Dm93 Oh great thank you so much for the image. I believe I saw the module when I replaced my air filter for the interior blower but I’ll check again and get back to you.

Jimmyh likes this.
  8. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:31 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    FCC ID # would be here:

[​IMG]

Budbudbuilds[OP] likes this.
  9. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:33 PM
    Budbudbuilds

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    @Jimmyh
    I just found in on the product description I should’ve checked it more thoroughly first.
    image.jpg 3DD9A803-3FEC-4CFC-98EE-B42E8662CD6C.jpg

10. Jan 5, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Here are the complete process for programming the remote FOBS. You may want to clear everything and reprogram the truck to receive the FOBs you have. Note: The info in RED for other models.

Try this. There are 4 modes. You should use Rewrite Mode to start over and only program the remotes you want to use.

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

1. Add mode, used to add a remote to your car that is not currently registered.
    2. Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.
    3. Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your car.
    4. Prohibit mode, to prohibit all remotes from operating the door locks.

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/...eplacement-keyless-entry-control-remotes.html

Procedure To Program Toyota Wireless Remote Transmitters:

Begin with: The driver's door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition.

1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds.

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds.

2. Close and open driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4 - 6 should be performed within 40 seconds.

4. Close and open the driver's door twice.

5. Insert the key into the ignition.

6. Close the door.

NOTE: Steps 5 and 6 should be reversed for the following models ONLY (close door first, then insert key into ignition):

2000 - 2005 Celica

2001 - 2003 Prius

2001 - 2005 ECHO

2001 - 2005 RAV4

2003 - 2004 Avalon

7. Turn the ignition switch from "Lock" to "On" and back to "Lock" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode:

1 time for ADD mode.

2 times for REWRITE mode.

3 times for CONFIRMATION mode.

5 times for PROHIBITION mode.

8. Remove the key from the ignition.

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If Confirmation or Prohibition modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For Add or Rewrite modes do the following within 40 seconds of Door

Procedure Lock confirmation:

A. Press both car transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release.

B. Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1 second and release.

If the keyless entry remote transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.

If there are problems with the remote transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.

C. If multiple remotes are to be reprogrammed, repeat steps A and B.

11. Open the driver's door to conclude programming mode.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  11. Jan 6, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    Stubbie

Stubbie Member

Member:
    Truckee Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 OR
    If you have an ACE hardware store near you it might be worth seeing if they have the technology to program keys/fobs. I bought an aftermarket key from Amazon with buttons (I wanted to get rid of the separate fob) and after hours of reading about how to program the key I had a guy at ACE do it. It took him about 15 minutes and had him stumped at one point (button pushing/door opening sequence for my key was different).
    Believe me, I'm all about doing it myself. I hate having someone else work on my truck (2010 TRD) but I was more than happy to hand over $18 to that guy after watching him struggle.

12. Jan 6, 2023 at 9:25 AM
    GorgeRunner

GorgeRunner Out There

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    I may have these fobs or something very similar.
    I followed the directions, it didn't work. I tried directions for other vehicles and eventually got it to work by one extra door opening or something like that.

13. Jan 6, 2023 at 3:13 PM
    trakmasterrs

trakmasterrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    So i just watched your video, and it looks like you forgot to confirm a step (right before you pressed the two buttons on the remote), at 1:09, did the locks automatically click on and off on the car? I followed this guys video awhile back on my 2012. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhG9JsC-w4. Notice he points to the lock clicking indicating that its in programing mode, once confirmed he then programs the remote without ever putting the keys back in. He opens the door to close out the programming mode.

14. May 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM
    Budbudbuilds

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    So it’s been a while since I’ve tried to do my remotes thank you everyone for your helpful comments and suggestions.

@trakmasterrs I did get the lock and unlock signal from the car that you’ve been speaking of but I received the code twice where is others seem to only get it once.

@Dm93 I finally got around to taking my panel off behind my glove box and I was able to find a keyless entry module

5A40E0F3-5553-4DAD-A406-604658AC57AE.jpg

15. May 5, 2023 at 7:58 AM
    Leomania

Leomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB v6 4x4
    All stock, baby!
    My Taco also came without fobs, only the keys. I bought a similar set of aftermarket fobs on EBay, and the first try to program them with the chicken dance method failed. I tried a second time, but modified the above instruction to “Lock all doors except for the driver’s door” which resulted in a successful programming. Whether this was truly what allowed the programming to succeed, or I just did the steps correctly the second time, I’ll never know. But give it a try, can’t hurt.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. May 6, 2023 at 9:14 AM
    ranchero

ranchero Member

Member:
    Hello everyone,

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I have my OEM remote from My 2007 4runner that got into a car accident and totaled recently. Can I program this fob to my 2006 Tacoma?

Thanks

17. May 6, 2023 at 9:18 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If it has the same FCC ID Number it should work.

My 2012 Prerunner has FCC ID # GQ43VT20T. My wifes Highlander also has this ID Number.

ranchero[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 6, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    MikeSpiller

MikeSpiller Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hey, OP, solved this problem yet? If you didn't, here's my tips:

First thing, did you follow the instructions that came with the key fob? It's important to follow them step by step to ensure proper programming. Also, double-check that the key fob you bought is compatible with your Tacoma model.

If you've already tried that and it's still not working, then it could be a wiring or connection issue. Check the wiring connections to the keyless entry module and make sure they're secure. You can also try resetting the module by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

19. May 8, 2023 at 12:35 PM
    Budbudbuilds

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    Thanks @Leomania for the suggestion I tried it unfortunately that also didn’t work.

@MikeSpiller I don’t remember getting any instructions in the box with the remotes but I’ll check the Amazon page. Thanks for the suggestion.

MikeSpiller likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top