1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket muffler

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Vision10, May 18, 2018.

1. May 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    Vision10

Vision10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2001 2wd 2.4l auto sst
    Camper, grill, backup camera, stereo/speakers,
    does anyone hve experience replacing their stock muffler with something like a flowmaster? Did you experience any problems with how the truck ran after installing it? I was just about to order a flowmaster 50 series but after watching https://youtu.be/1y9StlQZuFE scottys new video i’m having second thoughts.

2. May 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    Mitch76

Mitch76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    275/65-20 Cooper Discoverer XLT. Borla XR1.
    I had a Flow Master 50 on mine for a while. It was great around town and loved the sound but on the hiway was a different story. Since it downshifts so much the drone was not for me. Ive since gone nack to stock. Also there was no increase in MPG or power, sound only. You will not experience any problems other than the drone and that is subjective anyway. By the way, Scotty is annoying as fuck!

3. May 18, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    Sterling_vH111

Sterling_vH111 Go do something real instead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    Secretly Long Travel & Supercharged
    You wont get any power or mpg gains, or at least nothing noticable. If you like the sound of a louder exhaust, then go for it. I have a borla muffler because I like the sound it produces.

4. May 18, 2018 at 11:07 AM
    Vision10

Vision10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2001 2wd 2.4l auto sst
    Camper, grill, backup camera, stereo/speakers,
    All my driving is city anyway and i’m not looking for increased hp or MPG. I just want to make sure doing this won’t decrease mpg or power. And I especially don’t want it to make my engine run like crap. I trust TW more than scotty so if yall say it’s fine i’m going for it

5. May 19, 2018 at 12:03 AM
    trustyrusty436

trustyrusty436 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma, auto, 2.7, RWD Access cab, long bed, Utility model
    LCE exhaust header, AF Dymanics CAI, MagnaFlow cat back
    I put a cat-back system on my 2.7 auto, it was ok locally, but rather loud. I did a two hundred mile freeway trip with a lot of big hills, the constant shifting of the auto caused me to put the stock system back on. That and I lost a lot of bottom end torque. If I had a stick shift it would likely still be on the truck. So, if I were you I would not do it!

6. May 19, 2018 at 12:43 AM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Scotty is an idiot... i cant even watch this video.

About 5yrs ago i tried to explain the mistake of throwing hids in a celica with oem halogen based reflector housings. He lost his shit and blew up in the comments section of the video. He just didnt understand an arc and a filament are different creatures.
    Just now as i searched for it, i see many others tried to explain the same thing too. Heres the video that confirmed he is an idiot.

https://youtu.be/xzlDZSZhUcs

henryp and rmepilot like this.
  7. May 19, 2018 at 12:48 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    That said, ive had a flowmaster original 40, and currently have a super44 in 3" variety.
    Both had a tendency to drone at highway speeds, but i do have a v6 so im not sure how it affects 4 bangers.

Ive done alot of work to fine tune my exhaust over the years and have minor drone and no rasp, but again its a v6 so i wont get into details as it most likely wont help u.

8. May 19, 2018 at 1:21 AM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    I like the sound of my Flowmaster 40 around town. I can’t hear the drone at highway speeds over my tires anyway.

I just turn up the radio and most all other sounds go away

I have a v6 but I’m sure the radio would work on a 4banger too

9. May 19, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    IFGD

IFGD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2001 Regular Cab 2.7L
    Scotty needs a muffler on his talk-hole.

10. May 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
  11. May 24, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    If a noisy exhaust is valuable to you, go for it, it's your money.

I have better things to do with my money than replacing something that still works perfectly.

BillsSR5 likes this.
  12. Jun 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    M-cameron

M-cameron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Scotty is an annoying pissant....i dont know why anyone gives him a second thought.

changing your muffler isnt going to effect anything other than the sound.....if you want a louder, slightly more aggressive sound, by all means, swap it out.....however, just keep in mind, its a 4 cylinder, so its going to sound like a modded Subbie or Honda....its not going to sound like a V8.

what CAN effect your performance is changing the exhaust pipe diameter.......if you go too large, you can stagnate the exhaust flow, causing poorer performance......for our motors, about a 2" diameter pipe is perfect.

but just swapping the muffler isnt going to effect that.

13. Jun 20, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    LOL Scotty Kilmer is hilarious to watch.

His neighbors must think he's a freak. He's always outside screaming at his video camera.

henryp likes this.
  14. Jul 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    The best muffler I have ever heard on a 2.7 is the TRD muffler from the V6 trucks that someone purchased pretty cheap used and had a muffler shop weld it in.

I can't remember if he kept the resonator before the muffler but I want to say they deleted it.

Sounded SO good!!

nickonfire700 likes this.
  15. Jul 17, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    Flowmaster Exhaust

Flowmaster Exhaust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Flowmaster
    A simple muffler replacement with a 50 Series Flowmaster will add some tone to your vehicle and WILL NOT cause a loss of power when correctly installed. With the addition of one of our Universal Replacement Mufflers, tuning is not necessary. If you're installing "power adders" such as turbo's, superchargers and in some cases even performance-based headers then a proper tuning can help to squeeze some extra HP's by correcting fuel trim through the use of a tune. With a muffler replacement, you are getting a different exhaust note and any difference in the volume of air that the vehicle is consuming is controlled by the vehicles ECU (main computer). Our Cat-back systems include larger diameter piping which helps the application to exhale easier and even with the larger piping that our Exhaust Systems provide no tune is needed, the ECU handles it.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

16. Sep 18, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Mitch76

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    How did my comment get quoted in your post?

17. Sep 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    Flowmaster Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Flowmaster
    Not exactly, so maybe a little clarification is in order...my comment was in response to the YouTube video that was posted and the question that was asked. The information in the video is incorrect and a simple muffler replacement will not affect ANY of the "issues" that were discussed (if properly installed). I then attempted to compare how replacing a muffler versus replacing the exhaust system itself with a performance-oriented Cat-back will affect the vehicles performance and its many computer controlled systems.

When the factory muffler is replaced with a performance version but still using the stock exhaust piping (which in most cases is small piping with pressure bends) there will be an increase in sound but an increase in HP's or TQ will be minimal. The computer controlled systems in the vehicle will not be affected.

Whereas, the addition of one of our Cat-back systems will include larger (over stock) mandrel bent pipe along with one of our performance mufflers. The larger piping along with a free-flowing muffler allow the engine to exhale better, thus freeing up horsepower. When large power-adders are installed (turbo or supercharging, performance headers, CAI's in addition to a free-flowing exhaust) then a tune should be performed to gain the best performance numbers and lessen the chance for catastrophic failure of a major component

We spend a great deal of time and money researching and testing every performance product that we sell. We also dyno test nearly every product and include the results of those tests on our website. I have included a dyno chart below of a bone stock 2014 V6 Tacoma with our dBX Cat-back (part #817615) installed as evidence that our systems not only add that distinct Flowmaster exhaust note but add real world verifiable performance increases over stock.

[​IMG]

As a previous Technician and Assistant Service Manager for the Toyota brand for nearly 15 years, I have personally put my hands on nearly every Toyota/Lexus model that has been in production since the late 90's. The information that I post is based on information and facts about our products and my experiences in the last 18 years that I have been in the industry. If you have any questions, comments, concerns please feel free to PM me and I will gladly assist.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

wjktdi and Mitch76 like this.
  18. Sep 19, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    Mitch76

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    So about 10HP and 10TQ or so?

19. Sep 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Flowmaster Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Flowmaster
    Yes Sir, I wish we had better numbers on there!

- Jason @ Flowmaster

20. Sep 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    Mitch76

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    Any numbers on the 2.7?

Products Discussed in

To Top