1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket oil pan gasket for 2.4/2.7L?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CitizenSnips5, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Feb 19, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    CitizenSnips5

CitizenSnips5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all,

One of the first things that needed fixing on my new-to-me 2.7L 1998 (170K miles) was a fresh coat of FIPG on the oil pan. It was leaving a decent-sized oil puddle wherever I had it parked and with the help of a diesel mechanic buddy we went for it. Luckily just a 2WD model so no need to drop the diff, but he was pretty baffled that the truck didn't have an actual gasket and just silicone sealant. He recommended to me if it ever started leaking again to look into getting an aftermarket one.

3 weeks since we put the new FIPG on the leak is much better than where it was; but it still weeps a couple of drops of oil from one corner of the pan. I've been thinking when the next oil change comes up I'll try out the aftermarket gasket.

I've searched around and haven't seen anyone discuss aftermarket options for the oil pan gasket and was wondering if anyone has had success with a product like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-04-95-...FE/393013093171?fits=Model:Tacoma|Make:Toyota

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Va
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma - 2018 Tacoma
    Personally, I would always replace the OEM silicone with a gasket. Of course making sure ALL the original silicone is removed first.

I wouldn't take a chance on a eBay 'no-name' gasket. I try to find a FelPro brand gasket at a local auto parts store or order on-line.
    McCord gaskets are ok as well if you can't find FelPro. I've sold both in my auto parts stores when I owned them.

3. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    If the FIPG failed then it wasn't done right or it was the wrong type.

4. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    CitizenSnips5

Member:
    True - I think I saw a listing for "FelPro" in the same eBay search here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Felpro-39V...coma/164667677378?fits=Year:1998|Model:Tacoma

It was official Toyota FIPG, I think the issue was getting the damn thing back up there without bumping into any other surfaces was extremely difficult, so maybe a bit of the silicone rubbed off when placing the oil pan back up. Luckily it's a really insignificant weeping drip (for now) but stills bugs me obviously!

5. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Was everything square, no warping in the pan?

6. Feb 19, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    CitizenSnips5

Member:
    Pan looked good, no warping and I painstakingly scraped off the old FIPG and gave it a power wash since there was quite a bit of old dried up oil along the rim of the surface and exterior from all the previous leaking.

Products Discussed in

To Top