1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ahhhhhh 4X2

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by snjkid372, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  2. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Quit hurting on the 4x2 guys... it's all technique.

I made it through college in a 2wd, 4cyl ranger in the top of teh UP of Michigan. 320" of snow and NEVER STUCK! Like others said, put weight in the bed (sand bags, bowling balls, people, whatever), keep the momentum, and it'll go through anything!

3. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    True that. :D

4. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Let's see...one snow storm in 1996 and one in 2009. And seemingly no snow in between. Consider that a 4WD is more expensive to buy, maintain, run and insure - you made the right decision getting a 2WD. Use public transport for the few days every 13 yrs when your truck doesn't cut it.

5. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    bluejays

bluejays Well-Known Member

Member:
    sorry i'm not so good with cars, as i just got my drivers license. what's so bad about 4x2 and why do we need to put a lot of weight in the bed for? can someone explain? i have a regular cab 4x2, but i live in cali, so it's all good. i just wanted to understand the concept of the 4x2 and sandbags. thank you

6. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    The extra weight on the back helps give it more traction on the back tires, which is what are power the truck forward

7. Mar 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    Bsaint21

Bsaint21 Veteran Member

Member:
    Texarkana TX
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner sr5 v6 4.0
    4 inch lift. Chrome grill package, 17" Chrome Plated Rims, 32 " Mickey Thompson Wheels, Westin Signature Chrome Side Step Bars, AEM Brute Force Cool Air Intake, Helix Power Tower Throttle Body Spacer, UGA Bulldog front floormats, Toyota Front Aluminum Skid Plate, Toyota Logo Bed Mat.
    Dude I have a 4x2 and I have never had a problem. Its how well you can use what you got buddy. Ive been all over from the main road to the desert to the woods... and never had a problem. Ovcourse my lift and my tire size probably help too. Once I get my full 6" total chaos susp lift i will have NO problem what so ever doin the offroadin thing anywhere.
    I was however thinkin about tradin it in for a 4x4, but i dont think it would be a wise investment right now. I would lose more money than i would want out of the deal.
    So dont let anybody tell you that 4x2 is useless. You might get stuck easier in the swamps... but just be smart about it. and get some bigger tires for that mother fucker!

8. Mar 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    LOL! Yeah, I hear that. In all honesty, there is snow every year, just a few inches here and there but it's the ice that gets you in NJ.

I have to laugh. They're calling for some "snow" here and everyone is running around with their heads cut off. First of all, we won't get any accumulation even if we do get snow. Second, it's going to be 70 degrees by Friday. I love SC.

9. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The same idea as having a rear wheel drive sports car - give it a little bit too much gas and it'll get tail happy (fish tailing).

10. Mar 2, 2009 at 4:42 AM
    steelerfan7p

steelerfan7p My other car is a Bugatti

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champi
    Vehicle:
    Non-TRD, Non-SR5, Non- Prerunner
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    You mean they make trucks that don't have four wheel drive???:eek: What's the point in that?!?!?!

Seriously tho, we have hills around here that my Cavalier with snow tires won't make it up. And thats with lots of forward momentum. For me, fwd is a necessity.

11. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    jward2331

jward2331 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    Geez, Don't have any problems here in s:Dunny Fl with my 4X2....

Actually, I grew up in RI and learned how to drive up there. If you have a truck/van, put weight in the back. After that, it is technique and a lot of luck. You can't do anything about the other drivers and all the other "unknown" conditions that add to the situation.

12. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    DMZX

DMZX Active Member

Member:
    E. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2x4 Tacoma
    I have a 4X2. When the snow gets deep and the plows can't keep up, I throw on the chains.

That turns my truck into a tank (or at least it sounds that way). I can go where even 4X4's fear to venture. :D

13. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    x2 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    new jersey = 4wd...period. for the couple of times a year you need it,its better to have it then not to have it.nothing worse than being stuck in the house.

15. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I lived in upstate NY for a lot of years without 4x4 and did just fine. BTW, it snows there- a lot. ;)

16. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    It hasn't snowed enough this year to really justify the need for 4wd. However, it never hurts to have it available when need be. I'm glad I have it; especially for my 30 mile trek in to work this morning. I saw a couple of 2wd trucks with toppers sliding going stright and the front wheels turned. One It's nice to also have the control when you're starting from a stop and not having to be so concerned with the rear end fish tailing form the ice. Hey whatever works, there is no right or wrong.

17. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Its difficult in Vermont to buy a 4x2, but have had friends who have them & do just fine, yeah it snows here a little bit.
    But....now it seems like everything is 4x4.
    I've see plenty of em off the road too, flyin by ...
    As mentioned someday upgrade to better tire & add some weight or hang out @ your friend's & take it easy/enjoy the snow day. :D

18. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    :rofl: AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You suck!!

;)

Seriously though, don't sweat it. I rarely use the 4wd on my Tacoma, and today I was driving my big diesel truck and never had to put it in 4x4. A limited slip rear differential will work wonders for you on days like this.

Spend some time tearing around empty parking lots today and get used to handing the truck in skidding situations. A lot of driving in the snow is technique and knowing what to do when the truck does something unexpected.

Be safe out there!

19. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :woot:

20. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    "It's a poor musician who blames his instrument." It's all how you drive it. Weight and weight displacement is huge. Keep tire chains with you when you are expecting a problem.

How many guys with locking hubs get stuck and have to get out and lock the hubs in. If they locked before they got in the crud they would of been fine.

You could always get "Tow Truck In Box" and you'll be fine. http://www.towbox.com/.

Even a few bags of sand or kitty litter will work. Crack'm open and spread it under the wheels.

You'll get the hang of it. Besides, if you bought a 4x4....Global warming will be in full effect before it's paid off.

Just remember, we all learn from experience. You'll now know what to do what you didn't do next time. (Huh?)

Besides, If you had 4x4 and was able to "climb" up the driveway to the garage....would you of been able to stop before turning it into a carport.

Products Discussed in

To Top