1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ain't nothing easy about buying a truck...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chill6x6, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Dec 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    The decision is actually quite easy, it comes down to quaility and resale value (hint)....TOYOTA!!:)

2. Dec 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    avionicsman

avionicsman Member

Member:
    As a Nissan owner looking at new trucks I'd look at Tacoma. I'm very up on keeping my 2000 truck running but it's had more then its fair share of problems in its 160k miles. I've owned since new.

Some things I would not have expected to do as early as I did:
    - @100k - I've had to take the head off due to oil blow back in to intake.
    - Variety of A/C issues, two thermoresisters, A/C just died again but haven't troubleshooted yet.
    - Crankshaft pulley went bad
    - Random clutch chatter after I dropped the tranny replaced flywheel, clutch, pilot/throwout bears, master and slave cylyinders.
    - Rattles since day one
    - @110k High side power steering line
    - @80k Stock 2wd suspension, had blown ball joint boots, had to replace costly upper control arms
    - @120k Windshield washer pump
    - Constant cruise control issues, breaking switches under the pedals, etc.
    - Temperamental power windows
    - Probably other stuff I should list but can't think of

Current problem I can't figure out, is during cold temps < 50F ambient, I have fresh gasoline smell in the cab. I've checked from tank to engine with no leaks, no extra consumption.

Seems like I have to buy most parts from dealer as generics do not exist or fit badly, especially grease seals for front bearings.

I just don't want to be a home mechanic on the weekends any more.

I like working on my vehicles but not that much. Also Nissan has been very bad standing behind their vehicles lately. Just look up "strawberry milkshake" transmission/radiator problem on the VQ40 autos.

3. Dec 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    muddin

muddin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's on all four with some OME 885x's. Brute Force Fab front bumper. Warn winch. Koenig countersteers wrapped with duratracs.
    the tacoma feels like a real truck...the frontier feels like a off road go cart with sheet metal. I drove both when i was looking to buy a new truck just back in august and hands down the Tacoma won. The reliability has been great so far, i have 10,000 miles on it and bought it brand new. i have towed about 6000 pounds and had no problem. If you want something that is quality go with the taco...just my 2 cents

4. Dec 14, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    chill6x6

chill6x6 [OP] Member

Member:
    The Silverado has really been a great truck...it's an LTZ 4-door 4x4 with a 6.0. It's had the battery replaced and that's it! I tow about a 4600lb boat and a enclosed motorcycle trailer. Of course the Chevy has no problems with either. And believe me...a 4500-5000 lb boat is a heck of a load. A lot of tongue weight too. Ain't no way any mid-size truck will be in the same league and I know that... I don't pull the boat more than about 60 miles USUALLY so I SHOULD be okay with the Tacoma. I'd get another full-size truck BUT...I really get tired of parking a locomotive everywhere I go and let's be honest..I usually get from 13-15 mpg around town so a little improvement here would be great too. I drive and park solo WAY more than I tow!

Products Discussed in

To Top