1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air circulation button help.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FixedTRD, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM
    FixedTRD

FixedTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Alhambra, CA
    All pro LT, All pro front bumper,All pro rear fox, 1.5 full leaf and u bolt flip kit. KR sliders, bestop, high lift with custom mount, katskin leather, Hankook MT and atx artillery. DMZ SUA w/FOX triple bypass
    I have an 09 d-cab and I just notice that in the morning when I turn the heater or ac on the hits the air circulation button, it would turn off by itself and I would need to press it again. Does anyone else have this issue? I am planning on taking the truck to the dealer to check it out.

2. Dec 5, 2009 at 12:10 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Mine only turns off when i switch to defrost, i have never had it turn off by its self. So if its turning off in any other position i would take it in.

3. Dec 5, 2009 at 3:44 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    ^^ He is right.

The truck will not allow you to recirculate the air when the you have the defroster on. If you are not selecting defrost you should not have this issue.

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

Because afterall ...you're trying to DEFROST (remove the moisture).

If you recirculate the air while in defrost, you're not getting rid of the moisture.

A/C alone (without the defrost), you should be able to recirculate. I do this all the time in the summer.

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    Mine does it when in regular operation with heating, haven't noticed it with cooling though. Just this morning in fact. I don't know if it's a temperature safety thing or what. Any knowledgeable fellows out there?

6. Dec 5, 2009 at 5:03 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    Mine does it. It's very annoying. Mine only does it with the heater though. I thought I read somewhere that if you press and hold it, it will stay. I've tried and does not work. Let us know what the dealer says.

It never did this in my 2006 Tacoma that was totaled. It only has done it in my 2009.

7. Dec 5, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you in DEFROST mode?

8. Dec 5, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    No, henceforth the regular operation. ;)

9. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i had a previous thread about this one,it automatically turns the recirculation off ,if you want it to stay on hold the recirc button down for 3 sec and it will stay on.there is a thread on fj cruiser.com that explains it in detail,but what you are saying yours is doing is normal operation.the thread on tw was ..............anybody seeing this.

10. Dec 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    This is nuts. I have the exact same problem. For some reason that I can't explain while driving home today the air recirculation button would darken and my truck would suck exhaust and NO, I WAS NOT DEFROSTING. After I reactivated the recirculate mode a few minutes later it turned itself back off. I can't believe it.

This has never happened before. I've had my truck for 6 months. Furthermore, now when I cycle the ignition, the air recirculation mode is always off by default--It used to be on. Something has to have changed!

I'll try the 3-second thing and then scrutinize the owners manual for an answer and post back.

11. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    I actually read the manual, and it talks about the holding the recycle button for longer than 2 or 3 second, can't remember which, but I tried it with the heater/ac turned off and pressed and held it and it worked for me.

However if I already have the heater/ac on and then press and hold it, it only stays on for a little while.

SO, maybe the secret is turning the heater/ac to the off position then press and hold the recycle button, then turn the dial to the on positon. It seems to work for me with regular function (non defrost position).

12. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
  13. Dec 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    A few months ago I paid $15 dollars to access the Toyota Information System. Well my money went a little further when I reviewed my notes and I found the precise cause of the trucks behavior. :bananadance:

The text underlined below was my exact cause. It doesn't get cold in San Diego and that day last Monday was the only cold day since I bought my truck.

Toyota changed the logic in the defroster in the 2009 models. Here is how it works.

Defroster Control Logic

• Due to the adoption of the defroster control logic, fogging of the windshield is minimized, improving visibility.

• The defroster control logic automatically changes the air inlet mode to the FRESH mode under any ofthe following conditions:
    1) The DEF mode or FOOT/DEF mode is selected.
    2) When the ambient temperature stays below 10°C (50°F) for 3 minutes or more during the RECIRC mode.

3) The ignition switch is turned on when the ambient temperature is 10°C (50°F) or less.
    • Press and hold the FRESH/RECIRC switch for 2 seconds or more to turn off the RECIRC mode while the defroster control logic is operating.
    [​IMG]

14. Dec 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
  15. Apr 9, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    ydnapluk

ydnapluk Member

Member:
    After a few days of searching, I found this mode from fohlkmann and just completed it on my 2015 dbl cab TRD OR. So far, the easiest way to regain control of air recirc and auto-A/C "features" I've found:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/a-c-on-with-defrost.7160/page-8#post-2395617

A/C still automatically comes on when TEMP control set to MAX A/C (I'm not a fan of this feature, but can live with it) - otherwise A/C does not "self-enable". Recirc button does what you'd expect when you push it and will stay in recirc mode across ignition off/on with the key (biggest win for me).

Was so glad to *finally* find a solution that works for me, just wanted to share the link with this thread so it might be easier for others.

Thanks fohlkmann

Products Discussed in

To Top