1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Conditioned Seats Project

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ProForce, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    ProForce

ProForce [OP] IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I was just reading this article as well and what I am finding is that cooled seats work 1 of 2 ways:
    Either they have small fans (like a computer) embedded into the fabric similar to the method I describes above which then pushes air (not chilled) through some type of "diffusion layer" to disperse the air throughout the seat surface OR
    If they are actually "chilled" then they either need their own compressor/condenser (which is not reasonable to have a self contained AC unit mounted under each seat, besides it would be really loud and needs a place to dump heat outside the cabin) or they just use the cars AC pump and route the already cooled air in a similar fashion to what I have designed (except way better and more efficient since its OEM)

As far as not getting enough air from the vent... its not about trying to create a breeze that needs to be felt through the seat, but rather just enough cool air under the fabric to considerably cool the seat down. It should not take much to make this happen. As long as a little bit of chilled air is being piped into the seat this will work fine. Its not suppossed to feel like your sitting on an ice pack, simply disperse heat and keep your body slightly cooler.

With fabric, this may be pointless. But with leather.... :D It will work wonders!!

2. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
  3. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    That would be easy... there is already AC duct directly behind the glove box. If your serious then this can be done for about $5 and half an hour of work.

4. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Well this is just an idea. Thats why I made this thread is to get better more efficient ideas. My OP was obviously more complicated that it needed to be and is inefficient, but it was just to serve as a basic starting point to get some ideas rolling.

Is this really what they are called? If so, then perfect! Now to find some I can use :D

OK, so I researched Peltier and Thermoelectric plates and it seems as though this will not work. A 2"x2" Peltier would need over 400watts and over 50amps to run, and even though one side is extremely cold, the other side of the plate becomes burning hot. Without a method of heat dispersion as well as an entire electrical system overhaul/upgrade, this seems to be not practical to use.

5. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    This is how most cars do it... they have their own individual blower assemblies under each seat with piping throughout the cushion. Basically what I did in the OP, but with more dedicated air pressure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Sep 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Well this thermoelectric thing looks to be not practical, and an actual condenser with cooled lines would create condensation under the fabric and thats bad news too. Looks like the AC idea is still most ideal. Although my OP was slightly complicated, if I can clean up the concept I think this is still my best best. Add perforated leather seats and Ill be set. Just enough air to cool off the leather a bit.

7. Sep 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    My Kia Optima has both heated and 'cooled' seats and is one of the hundreds of reasons I bought that car. It really is amazing car for the price tag and I don't miss my 2007 A4 at all. I digress. From what I've read it appears as though 'ventilated' would be a better term for describing these seats as with most that's basically what it does. I've seen 'kits' that basically have larger PC fans that you cut into the foam of your seat and then cover with the heating element as pictured in the OP and then it basically does double duty. Now, to me this seems that it would be quite difficult to add as an aftermarket afterthought and have it be efficient. This seems something that is better applied at the factory level where R&D can make the entire design optimal for this application. That being said, I think the best (probably not easiest or least expensive) way may be to find seats from a vehicle that has both of these functions at a junk yard and then disassemble and reassemble splicing electrical connections and what not. The easiest and least expensive method (not best) would be to just do the cooling fan cut into seat cushion as a solution. You don't need leather and I think that the cloth of our seats might actually work better with this method as airflow would be maximized over perforated leather. I may still give this option a run as I've seen kits that have both heating and venting as one kit and it's not terribly expensive to try and anything would be better than nothing really. Whenever I'm in my truck in the summer I miss my Optima's cooled seats dearly. They really do make that much of a difference and anyone who goes for a ride with me is amazed at how nice it is.

8. Sep 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
  9. Aug 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    "Water Carbon" Seat Cooling
    http://www.amazon.com/Water-Carbon-..._7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1438720545&sr=1-7
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CXS2CXBDXJPVKAM0MR5
    "Champion" Seat Cooling
    http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Seat-Ventilation-System/dp/B00CSZ4HGS

I'm not sure what's better, getting an electrically cooled pad or cutting into your seats to add actual fans. I have been wanting to do the TRD Seat Swap so maybe I could find some and cut them, problem is junkyards are nearly void of Tacomas.

If you put fans it, what is left to cushion your seat? Wouldn't it no longer be comfortable?

10. Aug 4, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
  11. Aug 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    My Lexus had "ventilated seats" which were just that. Ventilated. Not "cooled". I was kinda bummed when I figured out the difference. Living in AZ I'd pay big money to have 50* seats in my truck.

12. Aug 4, 2015 at 2:23 PM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    I rented a Caddy Deville in Hawaii one year that had actual air conditioned seats and it was AWESOME. I would take that feature over navigation and probably other things as well.

I agree with you on the Lexus. I had an 05 ES330 with "Cooled" seats and it was pathetic compared to the Caddy

13. Aug 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    I rode in a new Ford Explorer sport twin turbo v6 that had actual "cooled" seats and yes, it was AWESOME. You could feel cold surges every once in a while, like little waves of heaven.

14. Jul 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    Paul123

Paul123 Web-Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRDOR pyrite mica, 3" lift 33's, 4.56’s
    Bump Anybody ever do cooled seats In their taco?

Sugar Silva likes this.
  15. Jul 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    iLLogics

iLLogics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Eastvale Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab OR
    Nah get some ice packs and sit on em, itll cool sticky balls and prevent monkey butt quickly.

In all seriousness, cooled seats work by the a/c cooling down the cabin and a few sets of seat mounted fans making airflow through the seat covers too cool them down. The Tacoma seats are not designed for this. If you can retrofit some Lexus es350 seats with this system into a Tacoma, it could work but I myself think my money's are spent better else where then worrying about a fan cooled cloth seat.

Paul123[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    elmontemike

elmontemike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    :yes:

17. Jul 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Paul123

Paul123 Web-Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRDOR pyrite mica, 3" lift 33's, 4.56’s
    I was just curious cause my buddy just did this in his 2001 ford for about 60 bucks. But I can't see how I could make it work with our cloth seats, especially in a case like mine where I have heated clazzio covers

18. Jul 21, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    iLLogics

iLLogics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Eastvale Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab OR
    The reason why I quoted the Lexus es350 in my last post is because my youngest sister has one with the cooled seats. The seats are perforated similar to a leather motorcycle jacket. The seats are also heated. (All Factory) They just have a few fans in them to keep the air going. Your seat covers make it a bit more difficult but anything is possible my man, you just gotta open the wallet a little wider. I do not know much about the aftermarket cooled seats, but for all I know there might be an all in one heated and cooled kit out there. I feel your pain on the leather seating tho... never again without the "cooled seating"

Paul123[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 21, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    There is a difference between "ventilated" seats and "cooled" seats.

Ventilated seats help and you can definitely tell a difference, but actual COOLED seats are where it's at.

These would sell like hot cakes in Arizona.

Paul123 likes this.
  20. Jul 21, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...ooling+pad&dpPl=1&dpID=31cGfbjeNUL&ref=plSrch

Canaiblize this and use it's parts??
    www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K5AYTGU/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1500698825&sr=8-9&keywords=electric+cooling+pad

Products Discussed in

To Top