1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air filter recommendations?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Back40, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 4:55 AM
    Back40

Back40 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Dbl Cab
    Looks like the AFE Pro Dry S is a popular choice on this board. How should it be cleaned?
    I had a K&N installed until I saw the affect on the MAF sensor so I went back to stock. Any other recommendations? Thanks for the feedback.

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Use the SEARCH button in the upper blue bar (towards the right). Lots of discussions about this already.

I owned a K&N for years without any problems. If they're seated in your airbox properly, If you keep them clean, and if you don't over-oil them...they should work fine. I cleaned mine every 6 months. I've owned K&N's on a few different vehicles without any problems.

I changed to an AFE because I wanted something different and I didn't want to keep buying cleaning kits for the K&N. I like the AFE - although, it does not allow as much airflow as the K&N does. I haven't cleaned my AFE yet. Only been in the truck for about a year.

To clean the AFE - simply look in the product manual, go to their website, or search the forums/google.

3. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    I love K & N air filters. I work at a Chevy parts dept and get to sell expensive MAF sensors to people who over oil their filter. If you use them properly, I'm sure they are fine, but I would stick with a dry filter. JMO.

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco POST WHORE M0DERATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport PR
    The aFe filter is inexpensive and simple to clean...and no oil to mess with. If you're going to go with a higher flow, reusable filter you might as well get it, vs. a K&N or TRD oiled filters.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Fyi: my afe filter did not come with a manual and the afe site does not have instructions. I started a thread a while back about this and the consensus seems to be to soak it in warm water and let it dry. Some say to blow it out in reverse with a compressor though i dont really trust that method.

6. Dec 30, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    http://billswebspace.com/afeprodryscleaning.pdf

http://afepower.com/faq.php

7. Dec 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Thanks. Afepower just put that back up then because it hasnt been available for quite a while. I even mentioned it in my thread. Good to see it's back.

To Top