1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air/Fuel gauge problems

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ViperJay, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    ViperJay

ViperJay [OP] These are the voyages...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Radiant Red DCLB Sport 4x4
    URD CAI, DTLT Headers, Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, Aero 2540i muffler, NST Pulleys, URD MAF Calibrator, Icon 2.5 Coilovers , Bilstein 5100s in rear with All Pro 3" Leaf pack, Total Chaos UCAs, 2 Kicker 12" CVT Subwoofers w/Kicker ZX350.2 Amp, JVC KD-AVX77 stereo, ARE Camper Shell, 1 20" LED bar and 2 7" LED bars in front, 4 KC 6" HID Slimlites mounted on Bajarack roof rack, sliders, Cobra 29 XLR CB Radio, Icom IC-207H UHF/VHF Radio, Bed Lighting, Fog light mod, Projector Retrofit Headlights HID 5000k, HID fog lights 4300k, BHLM, LED taillights and turn signals, Glassworks front fenders, Blue Sea Fuse Box, Mil-Spec Battery Terminals, Odyssey PC2150 battery, Satoshi Grill, All-Pro Front Bumper
    Ok so I just installed an Air/fuel ratio gauge last night. I decided to wire it to the driver side o2 sensor for signal (the one behind the second cat) and I test drove it last night and the gauge worked perfectly fine. Well this morning I drove to class and right when I left my garage, I got a check engine light :annoyed:. The code is a P0158 as well as P0606 now I looked up the code and its 02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2). As far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that's the passenger side sensor. I'm kinda stuck as to what to do about it.

I know that its a narrowband and not a wideband and most of my searching just turned up people saying that the narrowband is crap and the wideband is the best. I am trying to avoid those kind of responses, I just want to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.:cool:

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    ViperJay

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    URD CAI, DTLT Headers, Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, Aero 2540i muffler, NST Pulleys, URD MAF Calibrator, Icon 2.5 Coilovers , Bilstein 5100s in rear with All Pro 3" Leaf pack, Total Chaos UCAs, 2 Kicker 12" CVT Subwoofers w/Kicker ZX350.2 Amp, JVC KD-AVX77 stereo, ARE Camper Shell, 1 20" LED bar and 2 7" LED bars in front, 4 KC 6" HID Slimlites mounted on Bajarack roof rack, sliders, Cobra 29 XLR CB Radio, Icom IC-207H UHF/VHF Radio, Bed Lighting, Fog light mod, Projector Retrofit Headlights HID 5000k, HID fog lights 4300k, BHLM, LED taillights and turn signals, Glassworks front fenders, Blue Sea Fuse Box, Mil-Spec Battery Terminals, Odyssey PC2150 battery, Satoshi Grill, All-Pro Front Bumper
    Thats what I was thinking but why would the error be for the passenger side sensor?

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    You A/F gauge is messing up the signal to the computer from the O2 Sensor as previously stated. As you know Narrowband is complete crap. On another note. The point of a A/F gauge is to tell you how your engine is running. Placing it after a device that burns up any excess fuel in the exhaust stream is completely useless information anyways. It gives you absolutely no indication of the A/F that your engine is running. Another thing is that this information is pretty useless and of very little interest unless you are running a boosted application. Your CPU keeps tight reigns on the A/F ratio based on the O2 sensors and knock sensors. no need to keep an eye on it.

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    The 'Bank 2 Sensor 2' unit is one of the two Heated O2 Sensors - the same component you say you wired the A/F Ratio gauge into.

Like PRS 2 TiFJ already noted, I have no idea why you'd want to wire an A/F Ratio gauge into one of the Heated O2 Sensors. :confused:

For the locations of the A/F Ratio Sensors (Bank 1 Sensor 1; Bank 2 Sensor 1), see:

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    ViperJay

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the responses, I wired it to that sensor because it was easier to get to and I didn't think there was a difference between the two.
    I hope to get a blower this summer and when I do I will go for the wideband but this was just the gauge that I got with the pod pillar.
    I was trying to follow these instructions: http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/2650-1163-00rA.pdf Is there a wire in the ecm that I could use instead of going directly to the sensor itself?

(Oh and I disconnected the gauge and that got rid of the CEL)

Products Discussed in

To Top