1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

air horn placement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AJ4X4, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    AJ4X4

AJ4X4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I built an air horn that sounds like a cruise ship horn and want it on my truck. It will be the same set up as a train horn with compressor and all. My problem that i now face is where can i mount the horn and how. Anyone that can help please do. Thanks

2. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Passenger side rear fender between the fender shell and the bed box.

3. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ill check that out. Thanks

4. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM
    Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    '20 Grey TRD Off-Road 6spd
    TC +2 LT, Kings, BAMF Armor, 35s, gears
    After you get it mounted, take a video! I want to hear this thing! You built it?

Btw I put my horns where the spare tire was

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes i built it out of PVC. Go to YouTube and search for PVC train horn or ship horn. The Guy's name is dozerboymiller and he has a plans booklet on eBay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. May 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I just got around to getting a decent video but it still dont do justice of how loud it actually is. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/5RrIVOEpQA4

7. May 7, 2014 at 10:07 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    I LIKE it!

Crawl up under the bed of your truck. You might just find plenty of room there for multiple horns depending on how big they are.

I have a Wolo air horn designed to mount on top of the cab located between the grille and the A/C condenser. It is completely hidden.

8. May 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Ive got a set of k3la pvc horns I just built tonight got to tune them tomorrow and might just mount them up on the taco somewhere.

9. Sep 23, 2014 at 3:35 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Yes!!! I just ran into these same vids of dozerboymiller! And was wondering if any members here built one. So excited ima have to build me one! What's yer suggestion on an air tank and compressor? I may have an extra tank here my bro has I'll see if I can snag it off him. But wondering what kind of compressor to get. No clue as to what kind of cfm these things will take. I can prolly figure out the rest on my own. Just didn't see much as far as what people use for their air setup. Gonna have to install another output too so I can use it for airing my tires as well.

Also wondering what yer thoughts are regarding the 'legality' issues. I'm not gonna be blowing it every chance I get, but I live outside of a fairly small town so I don't think I'll be using it much in town. However there is a train that blows through town close by so I may be able to sneak a few blasts here and there:D But, what kind of ticket can you get for this?

10. Sep 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have a viair 280c with 2 gallon tank. $200 from Amazon. It works well with the single trumpet ship horn but I wouldn't recommend it for built train horns because they use a lot of air. If you have instagram look on my page (@ajbailey44) I have a video of the train horns and thats about all the blast time you get before it gets weak. I recommend buying horns if you want the train sound but I love the ship sound.

I live about 10 miles from a small town and ive blown it in town with no problem. I think if you use it responsibly you wont have any problems. Just be careful because you can really scare somebody and possibly cause a wreck haha.

11. Sep 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    Ive got a 2.5 gallon air tank any ideas on where to mount it under the truck without removing the spare wheel?

12. Sep 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    On the 2012 there seems to be enough room under the bed between the cab and the spare. I've also seen pictures on the Hornblasters website that shows horns, tank, and compressor all mounted behind the grill.

13. Sep 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'm gonna be going for the ship horn sound. Saw a bigger one dozerboymiller made that sounded like a ship horn so ima try that one. And I'm going for the cheapest possible setup for now. Don't wanna spend too much. If I can get a compressor pretty cheap then I should be good if I can get my bros air tank. not even sure what size the tank is right now. What about a little tire compressor? Would something like that work? I got a pretty good one...

Yeah I need to remove my spare anyways. Want to put it in the bed. I recently got stuck in Sandy mud and it bottomed out on the spare and left my wheels free spinning. Need that extra little bit of clearance. So I'll be mounting mine there too. I wouldn't mind having it in the extended cab part so it's out of the elements though since I go mudding and driving through floods a lot. Idk we'll see..

14. Sep 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:

15. Sep 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    Keep in mind that air horns consume large volumes of air. A 2-3 gallon tank is plenty from what I have read but the main thing to consider is how quickly your compressor will bring the tank back up to the required pressure (around 100 to 120 psi)

I recommend checking out Hornblasters.com. They have a lot of good information there about compressors with different duty cycles, how long they take to fill tanks, etc...

Check out the pics in this link. SICK!!! :eek:

https://www.hornblasters.com/installs/set/?katestoyotatacoma

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  16. Sep 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Hmm.. well I don't really care too much about how long it takes to refill. Seeing as once I blast it a couple times I'm not gonna be using it again probly for the rest of the day to avoid trouble. Ha. I'm not gonna be going around scaring people. Maybe friends and mostly asshole drivers. Was wishing I had it today already as I just got back from an errand and someone raced around me and cut me off, only to turn into a community like literally 100 ft after he passed me. Fucker. And I have a couple dickhead neighbors that haul ass down our dirt road throwing rocks everywhere as I pass them. I always slow way down and they just zoom by. So sick of this. They're gonna be in for a treat before too long:D

Well I'll do some research and see what I can come up with. Like I said I can't afford to get a nice setup. I don't see anything wrong with building my own. I wanna say my bros tank is maybe between 10-15 gallons something like that. That should be enough. And he has a huge ass compressor in the shop, I wanna say 500 or 750 gallon or something, so I'm wondering if I can use that instead of an on board compressor to fill it up for now and have a limited use, until I can afford a nicer setup. I've even heard of guys using a second ac compressor I think it was, from a different vehicle built in to their motor using a modified bracket and longer belt. But I'm not even gonna go there. Ha. Seems like too much work. Would be sick as hell, but no thanks.

17. Sep 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    I started by adding a tiny Wolo model 619. It is a direct drive air horn with a built in compressor has a single low tone. After 2 weeks...it just wasn't enough.

I even took the "shields" off of the factory horns. Big improvement but still not enough.

The last thing I have done to date is ad a big ass Wolo model 845. This is also a direct drive air horn but the compressor is about the size of a Red Bull can and the horn is designed to mount on top of the cab. I kinda re-engineered things a bit and mounted it behind my grill. It puts out about 125 decibels which is modest compared to real train horns but I don't have any trouble passing state inspection.

The combination of the 2 air horns and the enhanced factory horns sounds kind of like a train but I still get envious when I hear a REAL train in the distance. I probably won't be satisfied until I get that sound on my truck. :D

I have a few crappy pictures of these installed in this post: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/330463-train-horn.html

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  18. Sep 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    So has anyone ran into trouble with the law??? What kind of ticket would be issued and would it just be a fine? I imagine they'll inspect your vehicle, and maybe make you disable it on site upon discovering it. But couldn't you just say you refuse to let them search your vehicle? Because at that point they've only pulled you over because of a noise complaint and have nothing to charge you with because they don't know for sure.. I imagine it would come down to a multitude of warnings before they take it further. I mean, like I said I live in a small town and I have a very unique looking truck so it would be easy for cops to notice me once they have a description...

19. Sep 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    AJ4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That tank would be fine to run without a compressor as long as you have a way of putting around 150psi in it....thats what my horn seems to like best. And as far as legality my state doesn't do vehicle inspection so I dont know how that would work. However my buddy had a train horn and blew it in a a neighborhood in town at night and got pulled over but got nothing more that a stern talk.

20. Sep 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh ok. Guess it depends on the cop. And how many warnings you get. Ha. But yeah I was talking about how are they gonna know if you have one or not? Are they goanna ask you to pop your hood, and look under your vehicle? Isn't that part of a vehicle search that they need permission for? I know it's bad to say no in some cases because that's like saying you're guilty. And especially if yer giving them an attitude. I imagine it would be best to come clean and just tell em you had no idea it was against the law, a little white lie of course, and tell em you'll be careful around town and not use it. I just wanna be prepared if it comes to this is all, ha. I'm sure they'll be more strict if yer going around town scaring people with it though which I won't be doing..

Products Discussed in

To Top