1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air intake Kit for the 2.7L Tacoma

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Osiris117, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Apr 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    Osiris117

Osiris117 [OP] "Historicly, Historic"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Blazing Blue Metallic 2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Totally "Stock"
    Hey Everyone,
    I'm hoping that someone can give me a hand, I have been looking for a good air intake kit for my 2008 Tacoma. It has the 2.7L 4cyl, I looked first @ K&N I found what I was looking for but the $575.00 price tag is not what I was looking for. I dont mind paying the price, but I am wondering if there are any other companies out there that make an intake for the 2.7L, that might be alittle easier on my wallet???? Has any one heard anything about the "Speed by Spectre" kits??

2. Apr 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    take out the secondary air filter and add a afe pro dry s drop in filter....best bang for your buck there.

3. Apr 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Apr 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    kroggy

kroggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 3.4 4x4
    Grill Guard. PIAA 520's. And ...
  5. Apr 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Removing the intake resonator also seems to help, although it's a PIA to get to.

6. Apr 12, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Actually that hurts air flow. Something with throwing off the correct regulated air flow, i have asked before. with the I4 all you can do and actually see an improvement is take out the secondary air filter and put in a drop high flow.

7. Apr 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    It seemed to help out when going up hills on the freeway in 5th gear. Didn't loose as much speed without the resonator. I haven't noticed a change in mpg with it off or with the secondary air filter removed. They're both off now, but the largest change resulted from taking off the resonator. Maybe it's because I did it after taking off the secondary filter. I don't have any scientific evidence one way or the other, just the butt dyno. :)

For what it's worth, I don't have an AFE filter, just a K&N drop in oiled filter. I might change it out sometime though.

8. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

Well the K&N air filters do provide the best air flow, however not the best filtration. If you are mostly highway the K&N is a great filter for you, if you offroad a good bit or live where it is dusty reguarly, the AFE is better.

I don't have any scientific data either, I just remember askin chris that once and said something of the sort. Who knows, the butt dyno might be best :)

9. Apr 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    I have taken off the 2ndary air filter and air resonator too. I've notice a change in throttle response. Just what I felt. I am happy with the hp my Taco can crank out for me. I could not ask for more from my 2.7L truck.

10. Apr 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    Osiris117

Osiris117 [OP] "Historicly, Historic"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Blazing Blue Metallic 2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Totally "Stock"
    $575.00 was the cost to order it here @ my local performance shops, since they dont stock any performance mods for the 4cyl tacomas it was considered a "Special Order Application" hence the hefty price tag. The rest of the cost was the included insrtallation. Brutal

11. Apr 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    not a good idea for that, i drove my truck like that for about 5 months, no performance gains or mpg gains, just that loud as noise coming from the engines if you want sound then i say go ahead but youre not gaining anything

12. Apr 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
  13. Apr 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    cstainton

cstainton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Ext Cab 4X4 SR5 v6 Short Bed, Manual
    6in Procomp Lift, Chrome Bull Bar, Billet Grille, TRD CAI, Tacoma seat covers, Kenwood 6in Nav/DVD/Music player, Viper alarm system, Tinted Tails, Rear Diff Breather Ext.
    You vould always go with the TRD cold-air. Thats what i have and no compaints yet

Products Discussed in

To Top