1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

air intake mod?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vtragweed, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Nov 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    has anyone done a mod to change the intake tube from the box to the engine?

2. Nov 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Change it how?? Not sure where your question was going...

3. Nov 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Think he's talking bout getting rid of stock plumbing. Did this with my Old V6 Intrepid. Had a local Meinekie fab me a pipe. Painted it with some heat resist paint. Added K&N drop in filter, and noticed more torque& throttle response, to include a cleaner look with the new red plumbing.

If you opt to do this w/the Taco, I'd do as such;

1) Fab a pipe as set from above(this reduces turbulence= better air intake flow). "Only remove rubber tubing, leave all else".

2) After market Dry flow filter

3) Remove the Secondary unneccesary filter

4) And if funds allow Tune with MAF Cali. Money saved on a so called aftermarket Cold Air Filter will pay for some of the cost on scan tool and such.

Try it, post it, and enjoy/ Trial and error. Who knows, you might come out on top:cool:

4. Nov 21, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    geerts016

geerts016 geerts016

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SR5 4x4
    alpine 9884 deck, auxilary LED backup lights, alpine 6x9's, alpine 6's, rockford p1000 amp, two rockford p2 10" subs, seat heaters, deezee tool box painted BSP, aero 2525 exhaust, halo projector headlights, LED light strip in hood scoop, black mesh grill, tinted taillights, window visors
    i'm trying to think up a way to make the hood scoop functional and ram air intake.

5. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I pondered on that idea a bit. Seems like not enough clearance under there.

Best bet for a somewhat Ram effect would be the Volant w/additional attachment, or URD TCAI.

In my opinion, Id go with URD. One of the best mods I've seen during my import days was to have that filter in direct contact with on coming air. Cold air=density=more HP. And thats what the URD does.

We must just face the fact that the Sport scoop is just for cosmetics:cool:

6. Nov 22, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i noticed on mine where the stock tube connects to the air box its bigger on that end then the other end, maybe try a hardware store and see what they have ????

7. Nov 22, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    has anyone tried 2 pieces of bent metal with a coupling to join the 2, the reason with 2 pieces is for 2 different sizes on the ends

8. Nov 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    No need, you can find a 2 1/2 to 2 inch coupler (just an example). That way you have one continous pipe flow.

9. Nov 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    im not exactly sure if i understand what youre puttin down

10. Nov 22, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Being as the hood scoop lies in a low pressure area of the hood, it would most likley detract from your hp. Do a Google search on vehicle aerodynamics, and you will see that if the hood scoop were to be made "Functional" it would only be for letting air OUT of the engine bay. If you want a "Ram air" intake, look at Volant, or try to route the intake so it receives air from the front of the vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top