1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air shocks vs. Air bags?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ENIGMA206, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    ENIGMA206

ENIGMA206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 Off-Road DC
    Tunes Tonneau On-board Air Firestone Air Bags
    Doing a search, I was surprised to see that there isn't very much information regarding air shocks on TW.

I would like to be able to level out my truck when towing the boat or when hauling cargo over a long distance. The need for air bags that can carry 5000 pounds in a truck rated for 1400 pounds is a little overkill in my opinion. My truck is pretty much stock and have no plans for making it a super-stocker off-roading machine. It is my daily driver/hunting/fishing/family machine.

I have researched all of the leveling options out there and have decided that the air bags or air shocks is the route I'd like to take. Is there that much advantage with air bags over air shocks such as the Gabriel Hi Jackers? Air shocks cost way less. Worst case scenario would be hauling maybe 800 to 1000 pounds in the bed or 400 pound tongue weight from the boat.

2. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I had air shocks on a muscle car. Stiff as hell. Air bags would be more adjustable assuming you have on board air. If I'm not mistaken, most guys on this site seem to prefer Timbrens for their overload issues. Timbrens keep it soft when unloaded too. Helper springs? Somebody chime in?

3. Dec 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Airbags. You can pump it w/ a bicycle pump if you needed to. If you wanna be level when towing the boat, another option would be weight distribution hitch.

To Top