1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airforce Reserves CCAT program...

Discussion in 'Military' started by USFCON, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM
    USFCON

USFCON [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    I've been thinking about joining the USAFR for a long time now (since H.S.) and recently found out about the CCAT program. A co-worker introduced me to the job and am quite interested. CCAT = Critical Care Air Transport. I have my Bachelors so I would go to officer training? and start as a 2nd Lt? I wonder if anyone has any experience in this field. If CCAT isn't avaliable right away it's not a big deal btw.

I called them this week and got in touch with a recruiter but his office number went to voicemail and his cellphone mailbox was full, so I guess I'll try again on Monday.

Any info is appreciated!

2. Aug 21, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
  3. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    AKTacoma

AKTacoma Dedicated Crew Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houma, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DCLB
    Not sure about what that program is, but you'd be able to go to the AF academy to become an officer and you would become a 2LT after you get your commission. Recruiters can be difficult to get a hold of over the phone, best bet is to catch them at the office.

4. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Hillbilly Zombi

Hillbilly Zombi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 2.7L Tacoma 4x4
    B5100's all around + Fabtech full length aal + diff. drop. Eagle Alloy 15" wheels with 32" BFG AT's. Custom built skid plate, Rhino lined bed, Westin bars, Husky liners.
    The AF Academy is a school right? He said he already has a degree so he would just need to go to OTS (officer Training School).

5. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

Not sure where you live, but I would locate a Reserve Aeromed squadron. I believe that's what you want to do with CCAT right?

I've flown quite a bit of Aeromed missions (some real world, some training), I know Charleston has a Reserve squadron for that mission for sure.

Best bit of advice I can give, try and find the closest aeromed squadron, talk to someone in that career field, then start talking to the recruiter. It's a lot easier once you know someone in that squadron since you'll be conducting interviews with them before the decision is made to send you off to OTS then the following schools.

6. Aug 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

7. Aug 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...

that's what i thought as well. no need for the academy if he already has a bachelors. i'm looking to hopefully go officer next year when i finish my degree and a slot becomes available in my squadron

8. Sep 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    JoePa Fan

JoePa Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whip
    Stoney Creek Mills, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 T/X Pro TRD Black
    CAT back performance exhaust, Bilstein shocks, window vent visors, Access LE tonneau cover, Pop N Lock tailgate lock, TRD beadlock alloy wheels, TRD valve stem covers, tube steps
    There are usually 3 distinct members of a CCAT; a doctor, a nurse, and a respiratory therapist. As you probably know, the doctor and nurse would be commissioned. The respiratory therapist would be enlisted. So, unless you have a medical degree or bachelor's in nursing, you probably could not be a commissioned member of a CCAT. You could attend the Air Force's respiratory therapy school but it won't earn you a commission.

9. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    As i stated in my OP, I have this. I'm a RN, BSN, CCRN.

10. Sep 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    JoePa Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Whip
    Stoney Creek Mills, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 T/X Pro TRD Black
    CAT back performance exhaust, Bilstein shocks, window vent visors, Access LE tonneau cover, Pop N Lock tailgate lock, TRD beadlock alloy wheels, TRD valve stem covers, tube steps
    I read that you had your bachelor's degree but didn't recall it being in nursing. You would be commissioned as a Second LT as such. Air Force medical officer training used to be only 2 weeks long and consisted mainly of learning rank/s, marching, reporting/saluting, customs/courtesies, and a little bit of physical training. I believe that once you are commissioned you can then apply for CCAT school which is just down the road from where you would attend officer's training. CCAT is at Brooks AFB and officer training used to be at the Lackland AFB Annex both of which are in San Antonio.

I don't know how competitive the selection process for CCAT school would be. It probably would also depend on the needs of the reserve unit you join. Good luck and keep us posted.

11. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    Do appreciate the info. I called recruiter but didn't receive a call back. I have a feeling there currently isn't a huge need.

Will keep everyone posted!

As always, info and support appreciated.

12. Oct 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    Update:
    So, only took about a month to hear back from the recruiter, mostly because my message was crackly and he didn't get my number correct. Anyway story is I would go to Alabama for Officer training then ship out to NC for aeromed/flight training. Total training would be about 6 months. Gotta lose 10lb by November which is no biggie and get my paperwork in order then should be good to go.

My questions...is there anything I should "get in writing" ? Does it even matter? Pay/benefits etc will be discussed next month if cleard for commission.

13. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Education + experience of OP would prob mean at least O2 if not O3 right off the bat.

Get EVERYTHING in writing. The problem is that they always include "or per the needs of the (insert service here)" so they can pretty much do what they want if they need to do it. A friend of mine was supposed to go to Walter Reed as an RN and ended up @ Ft Irwin.

I HIGHLY suggest you look into what bonuses are being offered - recruiter may not mention those. Usually you have contract bonuses (ie. 3yrs - $20,000), MOS (what the Army calls your Military Occupational Specialty) bonuses (basically a bonus for being a nurse), and possibly student loan payback if you have any. The only problem is the bonuses are taxable so take that into account.

As far as CCAT. You can also look into the Army. Too bad you didnt ask this question a few months ago. A friend of mine was the Army liason w/ the AF for the flight nursing programs. The Army also has the Burn Course which also incorporates some flight nursing protocols iirc. IIRC the Army also has a rotary wing flight nurse course. The CCAT course, as explained to me, is specific to fixed wing aircraft.

If youre that high speed you can also look into a few more courses. These are Army specific but if your command supports you you may be able to attend.
    - MMCBC (Medical Management of Chemical and Biological Casualties Course)
    - C4 (Combat Casualty Care Course)
    - Combat Medical Badge
    - You already have your CCRN but the Army does offer an ICU nursing course

Have you given any thought to the US Public Health Service (www.usphs.gov)? Its a long complicated explanation but basically we're a uniformed service and carry rank, earn all the pay and almost all of the benefits of military personnel (so far on-base child care is the only thing I dont qualify for), but we work for other federal agencies (see website). You could be interested in the Coast Guard, USMS (Marshall's), or ICE (Immigration and Customs). A friend of mine was detailed to the USCG and was the medical officer (he's an NP) for sea interdictions in the Gulf. Same friend was also a part of the ICE Spec Forces (they actually call themselves "special forces") and did high security deportations and stuff around the world. USMS's "con-air" (formerly known as JPATS) has nurses aboard as well.

Theres a bunch of other opportunities within the PHS. If you got questions let me know.

14. Oct 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road

Excellent info. Thank you for your response and insight. I signed up for USA jobs, not too much up my alley that I can find so far.

Currently filling out the USAFR Application. Will have everything in writing, and will check all my options before raising my right hand and signing on the dotted line.

Need to lose 8lb, finish my CSC certification and get a few references together.

Will post more when I get my offers.

15. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    Application sent! So we'll see what happens.

16. Dec 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    Application received and accepted. Stage II of paperwork sending out today. Physical conditioning requirements are not bad at all, but might start p90X again.

Will wait and see what's next.

17. Dec 2, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ^^congrats man!!

18. Dec 2, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    JoePa Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Whip
    Stoney Creek Mills, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 T/X Pro TRD Black
    Congrats, USFCON! Keep us posted.

19. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    update - weight is down to 183. Conditioning is better. Waiting to hear from the Sgt for next step in processing. Also unrelated i passed my CSC test :D. Been a good few weeks.

20. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    USFCON

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    Turned in my initial paperwork and recruiter scheduled MEPS for this coming Wednesday. He also said I will be added to the scroll which is submitted to the DOD for processing. My base selected is Patrick in Cocoa beach. He gave me the name of a Capt who is on a CCAT team and had a nice convo on how the program works. Pretty exciting stuff. Only 3 or 4 ccat teams in the nation. Can't wait....we'll see what happens.

Oh and I'm probably rambling to myself but...the correct term is CCATT...theres a new commercial regarding aeromed evac and CCATT....

Products Discussed in

To Top