1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama thread!

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2009.

1. May 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    That's pretty cool man. I mean, not cool that it happened, but cool that you're here on a forum talking about it. This makes the third experience I have some amount of personal connection to with Toyota trucks / SUV's in serious accidents involving flipping, and the person has walked away.

1) My best friend got clipped by a drunk driver on the interstate in a '97 4Runner, basically pit maneuver that the cops do, but a drunk guy in a huge sedan. Guy hit him and kept going. He drove off into a ditch, flipped, crushed in the A pillar, he escaped with minor cuts and bruises.

2) We were on the highway coming home from a movie late one night, raining, toyota tacoma (first gen) in front of us, saw someone starting to come over, swerved, overcorrected, flipped, and landed on all four tires on the side of the road. The woman inside had no idea she'd flipped it, and was in shock. We called the cops, paramedics came, she walked out of the truck on her own power before being put on a stretcher. They said she appeared to be fine.

3) You got hit by a fucking train, flipped it, got drug several hundred feet, and here you are.

All in all, seriously impressive stuff from Toyota. Not that I was considering owning another SUV, but it makes me even more a believer than I was before.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. May 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread

i would not bring this up at all if/when the rr company contacts you. bc believe me you will have a private investigator so far up your butt he will get first bite of your breakfast. and will turn your's and your parents's lives upside down looking for any faults for them to expose on your behalf.

reason i know this is about 8 or 9 years ago while i was working at the tuscaloosa quarry a subcontractor was crossing a set of railroad tracks just as a fellow employee of mine was crossing. the train hit them both. totalled both vehicles and broke the subcontractors arm and messed up his leg and the coworker got cut up prtty bad and badly bruised. the sub threatened a lawsuit and yelled about not blowing the horn sufficiently and all kinds of other stuff about not having lights or a gate at the crossing and so on and so forth. the coworker said nothing just nursed his wounds. a couple weeks later the rr company contacted the coworker and just "gave" him an undisclosed amount for an apology and hired a PI to follow and investigate the sub. about 6 months later the sub's company went under his house got foreclosed and he was applying for food stamps. the rail road is a very powerful opponent and when angered doesnt play nice. but if you approach with a calm smooth head and just being truthful about what happened and not insinuating more they try to do right by the "victims" from what ive seen in the past.

not trying to dog ya mat but this is when being the aggressor will not pay off i assure you.

3. May 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    I wasn't saying he needed to get involved in a lawsuit. I was just stating that they are suppose to blow their horns. I believe you about being the aggressor. I know the RR company Is a strong company. I wouldn't want to go up against them in any way shape or form!

4. May 28, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    dude I'm so glad you made it out ok. You are so lucky. good thing he had a cow pusher and you were lifted.]

I'd ask for a refund on those sliders, they didn't hold up all that well!

5. May 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    You know, I was thinking about sliders after seeing these pics, it's almost like having side bumpers if you get broadsided by an automobile other than a truck / SUV.

One more on the selling point to convince my wife I need them for the 100... "Honey, it's for the safety of you and our daughter."

6. May 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    My sliders have saved my ass at least three times offroad, and thereby paid for themselves. But armor isn't great in any kind of serious collision. There's a reason cars look so awful after an accident, and it's because crumple zones absorb energy instead of transferring it into you. Sliders and bumpers largely negate that, and instead remain rigid, meaning you're going to be more likely to suffer frame damage to the truck, but also have impact force impact the occupants rather than being absorbed by body panels getting crushed.

I would do sliders, but I don't think the make the truck safer.

7. May 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    yeah, but his wife doesn't have to know that.

8. May 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Good point.

Better point.

9. May 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    thanks Buzz Killington! :facepalm:

10. May 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
  11. May 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    60driver

60driver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Sport 4x4 Tim Mica
    Illum 4x4 switch, 20" LED bar in lower grill, LED in scoop, aux fuse box, avid light bar and 'sliders'
  12. May 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    mac424205

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    If I had the cash and time for something like that. I would also have the time to use it! Go to Moab, out west and camp.

13. May 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Gonna bump this, never got an answer.

14. May 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    You can do Skyway Motorway in 2wd, no problem. Gorgeous drive.

15. May 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.

^^This, and The slab too as long as you stay away from the real mean shit.

16. May 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
  17. May 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Thanks guys, Where are these located?

18. May 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.

Skyway is around the Sylacauga area, and the slab is in Montevallo.

19. May 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Yep, the slob is in Montevallo...OH! You mean the SLAB.....sorry. I misread.....btw Dave, did you miss my text today, or were you ignoring me? Just curious.

20. May 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    mac424205

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    hey bill, will your stock suspension fit on Alex's truck. all i need are struts for the front and shock absorbers for the rear. I am bouncing all over the place on the interstate. Maybe coils also.... :notsure: :burnrubber:

Products Discussed in

To Top