1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama thread!

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2009.

1. Jul 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    nah, thats my brighter red clone. He's on cherokee forum. I'm trying to get him to swap parts with me since he's selling but he just won't agree to it. He's got long arms that are swappable with my short arms and he's got 4.56's and lockers in his axles. I told him I'd meet him and swap axles for some money. He'd get just as much selling it with my axles as he would his...

was that on CL?

2. Jul 11, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Nah, he lives with Nick, the guy I bought the 80 from.

3. Jul 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    ha, no shit. I feel like I somehow know a friend of a friend in every offroad click in alabama since I've lived in both north and south.

4. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Looks like I am not going to set up that dinner meet after all. That BBQ place closes at 2 pm on Sundays and since I will only be up there for 3 days I want to make sure to hang out with my friends as much as possible. Maybe next time I will have more time an can set something up a little better.

5. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    No other places around that you could arrange for a meet at 5? Heck if enough are coming we could just bring our own food and soda. lol

6. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    That's an idea. I don't know the area, never been there. I googled it and there is a place called Jacks, looks kinda like a basic place. We could always do that if you guys want to. Or if someone could help try to figure out what's in that little town and see what the options are that would be great. But if push comes to shove then yes, we could just do a picnic type thing at a local park or something.

7. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    So that means you got it? Lol

8. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    chadj20

chadj20 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    Anniston, AL
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 tacoma

lol... Jacks is a fast food place, branch of Jack n the box or something... Oxford is about 20 minutes away and you have plenty of choices there. If you need to know the restuarants in the area, let me know and i can list em.

9. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Please do so I can get this all figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Being in Orlando makes it difficult to set something like this up. At least then I can figure out somewhere good, easy to get to, and not too far from where I will be staying.

10. Jul 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yup. 92' FJ80, H42 manual trans, twin sticked '87 FJ60 t-case, manual locking hubs, aussie lockers front and rear, 37" Goodyear MTR's, 16.5" steel bead locks, full size spare on matching bead lock, bunch of spare parts. Steel skid, sliders, tube bumper.

Needs AC charged, and I've got a couple of tubes of Toyota FIPG to re-seal the third members (they weep slowly). Also could use a rear bumper with tire swingout.

Other than that, she's ready to go. I know the guy that built it, and the guy I bought it from. It's built well, wheeled a good bit, but has been well taken care of. Fingers crossed that I have similarly good luck with it.

11. Jul 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    damn dude, Sounds solid. Take a lot more pictures when you get a chance.

12. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yeah, will do. I need to clean it up a bit. I'm kinda picky like that, but once I get all the dirt out of it I'll snap some pics.

Oh Bill.... (or anyone else really)

You know much about A/C? Thing had R12 in it back in 1992, then it got recharged with Freeze 12 in 2009, and now it's not cooling.

My troubleshooting was going to start with the compressor, make sure the electronic clutch is starting it up, it's turning, then check the level (not sure how to do this...), if compressor working, and level low, top off with Freeze 12. That about right?

Any tips?

13. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    sounds right to me. you will need to get a set of gauges and hook up to it in order to read the pressure. then when you read the pressure find a chart for the freeze 12 (google it if nothing else) and it will tell you what the pressures should be according to ambient temp. if low add, easy peesy! and that is how you check the level of refrigerant.

14. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    get some 93 parts and use r134?

15. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    So that's a legitimate question that I've got. I've heard that if you mix the two it's really bad for the compressor. Is there some way to flush everything if I got a compressor from an R134a version?

16. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    You would probably need to swap the entire system. R12 and r134 have significantly different heat properties and would thus have different chemical properties at the same system pressure.

I was just joking when I said convert to a 93. Just pull the doors off. problem solved.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  17. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    you could prob go to a ac maintenance shop or possibly even if you had a friend that did hvac work and use their recovery system and have them pull it out and then just pull a vaccum on the system. this is also a pretty good way to check for leaks. if it holds a vacuum on the system on your way home then you prob dont have any leaks, at least not major ones.

you would however most likely have to change the expansion valve and possibly the drier out to switch refrigerants as they will have different boiling points so require diff amounts of opening in the expansion valve. you could probably use the existing coils in the truck, just may not cool as well or efficiently?? not sure about what the required ratio difference is on coils between the two refrigerants and i dont really know where my books are right off hand.

18. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yeah... I know a guy that does HVAC work that might could give me a hand for a nominal fee. I'm hesitant to pay a shop, because my past history with vehicles has been that AC = wallet rape.

Plus... the wife was hella cool in letting me get this thing to begin with. If it turns into, "ok now we gotta pay to fix it," right out of the gates, that's going to be bad. Looking for as DIY / free / cheap as possible, w/o f'ing something up.

19. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    I understand... we are in "money crunch mode" right now so all extra spending has stopped for me, yet i found out the other day my wife has now spent about $600 for curtain material and supplies to make curtains for a house we are about to put up for sale?????? guess money saving only applies to me right now??? so if it keeps this trend i prob wont be able to buy my graduation present when i finish school in december? oh well lifes not fair so why bitch? momma's happy so thats what matters.

20. Jul 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    I fail to see the problem? Wouldn't fixing it be as simple as rolling down the window? :D

Also, Bill does ac work. May want to send him a PM.

Products Discussed in

To Top