1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama thread!

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2009.

1. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    dragr1

dragr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Allpro bumper Warn M8000 241,000 miles
    Anybody have some stock rear leaf springs they want to sell at a reasonable price? Not the pre-TSB springs please. The springs on mine are worn out with negative arch bad. It's a 2007 CC TRD 4x4 auto with 297,000 miles. The closer to Auburn or Montgomery the better.

2. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Well then you lose! Get you some fake bullet hole stickers you can put on his windows next time! :D

The stock springs suck, even the TSB springs. If you're looking to do it on the cheap, go with an AAL. That would give you a temporary fix, but you'll be back in the same boat after a year or so.

If you want to do it right, go with a new leaf pack. Wheelersoffroad sells leaf packs that sit at stock height for a reasonable price. They are much better then the stock ones.

3. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    ill have to look into that :rolleyes:

4. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    dragr1

dragr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Allpro bumper Warn M8000 241,000 miles

Those are nice but I'm just looking for something temporary as the company should get me a new truck in the next 12-15 months.

5. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    ^^ An AAL should do ya then.

If you want one that will last that long, you may want to consider a 3 leaf progressive AAL. Costs more than a single leaf, but will likely last you the time you're after.

6. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I've got the stock springs from my last truck, but I'm way up here in Knoxville.

Also, if anyone wants to buy the overload leaf from a Dakar pack or stock coilovers, let me know.

7. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    is it the standard OL from the dakar pack or is it the the extra leaf for the dakars? jw. it it is the extra leaf i may get it from ya, but i dont think running 2 OL would be wise...

8. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, no, standard overload leaf, although I didn't think there was a difference? I haven't researched it.

9. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    You do a track day this weekend, Jim? How'd the miata hold up?

10. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, I did. It went great for the first 6 sessions (15 minutes apiece). TONS of track time, I am a huge fan of track days over autocross already. I really need to replace the 16 year old shocks on it and add some swaybars.

Miata held up... until the radiator blew. Plastic separated from aluminum, it's 16 years old after all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99253396@N08/9335222388/

11. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Cool. Yeah, loads more track time than autox. I did one on my motorcycle back in 06 at Barber, and I was so tired by the end of the day I didn't even ride the last session.

The down side of all that time is that you go through the consumables a LOT faster. Miatas are light though, so supposedly that's the least expensive way to do it. Tires and brakes last longer.

12. Jul 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about tires and brakes, they're also very cheap - my current tire set was only like 80 bucks a tire installed, you just burn through them much faster in street driving vs like a truck. I will probably eventually get a set of stock wheels on craigslist or something to throw a set of track tires on.

I started it up briefly (sans coolant...) to get it off the trailer and parked once we got home. It was apparently giving off a little light grey smoke, I'm really hoping I didn't cause engine damage.

13. Jul 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Sounds like you had a great time. I miss driving on a track. Been YEARS since I have been on one. Let's hope that there is no damage other than the radiator itself. I believe they are not that expensive. Are you going to replace it with stock, or going the performance route?

14. Jul 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, it's a lot of fun for sure. I was debating an upgrade, but I didn't have any cooling problems despite doing 7 15-minute sessions until I blew the old one. I went with a $90 Koyo-manufactured OEM replacement.

The upgrades were like 200's for an all-aluminum one sufficient for naturally aspirated track use and then 300's+ for forced induction track use. I figured if I stay in this, I will consider a turbo, so I didn't want to upgrade now and then have to upgrade again... if that makes sense.

Any ideas on the grey smoke? I'm worried I busted a seal, the car got very hot after the radiator blew.

15. Jul 22, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
  16. Jul 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Just to be sure, are we talking grey smoke from the exhaust, or just the general area of the engine? Typically burning oil will cause a white colored exhaust, rich fuel will cause black smoke. Grey could be either a combination, or from coolant. I would suggest getting a pressure tester from the local parts store, replace the radiator, then pressurize the system at 15 lbs and watch for pressure decay. Sometimes a small amount of coolant can be drawn into the intake from a radiator blowing. As the engine tends to draw air from the engine compartment, near the front, a blow radiator can EASILY allow this coolant to get into the intake.

17. Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    We're talking from the exhaust. That's a really good point. I mean, coolant flew up onto the windshield when it blew, it was most definitely under pressure. Thanks, Bill! I imagine that if that's what happened, it'll just burn off then and stop smoking?

Of course, I haven't fired it up for more than 20 or 30 seconds - I only started it to pull it off the trailer and park it.

18. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Most likely, you will be fine. Only way to know for sure is the pressure test after the radiator install (Make sure you fill it with coolant BEFORE the pressure test) and let the engine run to burn off whatever has been drawn into the intake.

19. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    OK, I'll do that. Thanks, Bill, that helps.

20. Jul 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    just wanted to throw this out there, is anyone interested in my tire carrier i made and had on my truck for the last couple meets? If so please let me know, bc if there is no interest it is getting cannibalized for my next project. If you are interested I will be selling for less than i have in materials. just pretty much cover the handling kind of fee bc i want to see it go to a good home! Like i said if no interest its getting chopped up to be used for parts.

pics to show what im talking about

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top