1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama thread!

Discussion in 'South East' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2009.

1. Aug 28, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    Arrowshot

Arrowshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    - TRD Sport Package - Leer 100XR Wilderness Package Shell
    Replacement for the one that cracked in Moab?

2. Aug 28, 2018 at 8:59 PM
    coke can

coke can Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
    Who wants to hear more HAM talk? Too bad here goes the latest in my HAM endeavors:
    Just got off the radio with a guy in Decatur. He has a UV-5R (5 watts?) with the stock rubber ducky, and was able to talk to me through repeaters all the way out to Monte Sano mountain- about 25 miles away from him! I'm in Huntsville and was able to hit most of the repeaters on low (1W) of power, but was coming in a little weak on some so I bumped it up to medium (4W) and was fine. I was about 12 miles away.

VHF was definitely more clear and consistent than UHF. The UHF signal was easily compromised- even just my antenna wagging a little would make it cut out at the extremes of it's oscillation.

Can't wait to see how they do vehicle-vehicle!

baldridge and gixxerphil like this.
  3. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:22 PM
    Jerneyman

Jerneyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4
    **Armor** CBI Offroad Moab 2.0 Home Fabbed Rock Sliders Home Fabbed IFS Skid Plate Home Fabbed Mid Skid Plate Home Fabbed Transfer Case Skid Home Fabbed High Clearance Rear Bumper **Suspension** ADS Front Coilovers (Extended Travel, 700lb coils, Remote Resi) Total Chaos UCAs 1.5 inch AAL Rear Bilstein 5100s COMING SOON: Chevy 63 Swap **Wheels/ Tires** Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Front/Rear TRD Rock Warrior Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper STT MAXX **Electrical** Pelfreybilt Auxiliary Fuse/Relay Panel Blue Sea Fuse Box Bussman 100 AMP Breaker **Recovery** Smittybilt 9.5k Winch **Lights** 20 Inch Single Row LED Bar Rigid Side Shooters (Flood/Pair) w/ CBI Offroad Ditch Light Brackets Rigid Duallys, Amber for fog lights **Miscelaneous Mods** Rear Diff Breather Relocation RAM Mount A-Pillar Mod w/ Garmin Power Cable Ammo Can Bed Rail Tool Box Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Mod (Mini Sledge Special)
    That’s awesome. I just bought my mobile antenna from GigaParts. It’s a 1/2 wave antenna I believe. About 3 feet long. Looking forward to mounting it in the truck and seeing what kind of range I can get. I need to figure out a mount for my radio in the truck though....

4. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    gixxerphil

gixxerphil @Koditten Pirate Radio member #008

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nautical Blue Metallic DCLB SR5 4x4
    Are you guys using a handheld? I picked up the Baofeng bf-f8hp. I also bought the Relentless Fab CB/AUX hood mounts.

5. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    Nope, that was a capacitor from the compressor fan on my AC unit, paid 20$ to a site and the guy walked me through finding the problem, removing and replacing the capacitor. Worst part was when he told me I had to short that big mofo before I disconnected it. That took a few minutes of prayer and nut growing before I did. Biggest part of it was it was dead, so it didn’t do a damn thing, but you never know until you short it!

rmepilot and medic2230 like this.
  6. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    coke can

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
    You got the longer one I linked, or the short one? I'm still kind of nervous about mounting a magnet on my roof in case a branch catches it and drags it down the roof and ruins the paint or something...

If you settle on a good spot that can work with a small plastic piece, lmk and I can print it fairly cheap. Just need the dimensions and I can model it up and print no problem.

7. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:31 PM
    coke can

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
    Yep, I have the f8hp as well.

You have a link to that mount for the antenna? I'm kind of leaning toward the hood mount option over roof too, just so I don't have to worry about it getting swiped by a tree. I don't think the lost range will be missed that much.

Edit: oh, maybe I'll use this. Should be able to run the cable through a rear cabin air vent or something, right?
    https://www.relentlessfabrication.com/collections/toyota/products/05-tacoma-bed-rail-mount-tab

baldridge likes this.
  8. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    gixxerphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    https://www.relentlessfabrication.com/collections/toyota/products/05-tacoma-hood-hinge-cb-aux-mount

I couldn't figure out which side I wanted, so I bought both sides powder coated. There is a code for $10 off $50 orders. My order was $50 and some change. I don't know what the rules are for posting the discount, but I can PM you the code if wanted. This code came from Relentless Fab, I sent them a PM.

baldridge and coke can like this.
  9. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:37 PM
    coke can

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
  10. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:38 PM
    gixxerphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
  11. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM
    coke can

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
  12. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    **Armor** CBI Offroad Moab 2.0 Home Fabbed Rock Sliders Home Fabbed IFS Skid Plate Home Fabbed Mid Skid Plate Home Fabbed Transfer Case Skid Home Fabbed High Clearance Rear Bumper **Suspension** ADS Front Coilovers (Extended Travel, 700lb coils, Remote Resi) Total Chaos UCAs 1.5 inch AAL Rear Bilstein 5100s COMING SOON: Chevy 63 Swap **Wheels/ Tires** Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Front/Rear TRD Rock Warrior Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper STT MAXX **Electrical** Pelfreybilt Auxiliary Fuse/Relay Panel Blue Sea Fuse Box Bussman 100 AMP Breaker **Recovery** Smittybilt 9.5k Winch **Lights** 20 Inch Single Row LED Bar Rigid Side Shooters (Flood/Pair) w/ CBI Offroad Ditch Light Brackets Rigid Duallys, Amber for fog lights **Miscelaneous Mods** Rear Diff Breather Relocation RAM Mount A-Pillar Mod w/ Garmin Power Cable Ammo Can Bed Rail Tool Box Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Mod (Mini Sledge Special)
    I think I got the longer one you posted. I went in there and told them what I needed and bought what the smart dude recommended. I obliged and bought it. Lol.

Can you print using a generic STEP file? Or is it specific to your machine? I’ve got solidworks on my system here at home.

13. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
  14. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:54 PM
    JBTacoma

JBTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Two 2000 SR5s and a 2003 Limited Double Cab
    Same one

15. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    gixxerphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:

I'm hoping the ones I ordered specifically for AUX/CB will be what I need.

16. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:57 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I’m sure you can make it work one way or another if not. It’s just a mounting bracket with a hole after all.

17. Aug 28, 2018 at 9:59 PM
    coke can

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
    I'm not sure about the step file. I think not though. An stl is the easiest for me to print. That's what my slicer converts to gcode for the printer.

I should be able to deal with pretty much anything fusion 360 can handle though.

18. Aug 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. I can save to a bunch of formats .stl is one I believe. What’s your printing capabilities with your machine?

19. Aug 28, 2018 at 10:05 PM
    coke can

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
    25/21/21cm build volume. For a bracket, 0.3mm layer height is probably fine, but I should be able to go to 0.1 if necessary. Printing PETG plastic.

Jerneyman likes this.
  20. Aug 29, 2018 at 3:07 AM
    BamaTaco56

BamaTaco56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Me likey

Products Discussed in