1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama thread!

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2009.

1. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4WD
    so how did you determine "X amount"?

cubie likes this.
  2. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    haha yes I do, I actually learned it in high school, alongside the Pythagorean theorem and all that other super useful, can't survive without tidbits of information.

cubie[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    coke can

coke can Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD DCLB OR MGM
    No apps here, just a joint account. Every payday, 50% of our paycheck (not counting bonuses or overtime) is automatically transferred to join account. That's used for mortgage, house bills, date nights, groceries, joint vacations, etc.

Everything else comes out of our personal accounts- my car insurance (ours aren't combined), eating out not with the other, weekend outings alone, toys and truck parts, etc.

cubie and stronghammer[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    that's sort of how I mentally do things now. I allow myself my "required" monthly payments for everything to be roughly 50% of my monthly income. The rest I put in savings, spend on fun, or whatever else there may be.

5. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    Jerneyman

Jerneyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4
    **Armor** Home Fabbed Hybrid Front Bumper Home Fabbed Rock Sliders Home Fabbed IFS Skid Plate Home Fabbed Mid Skid Plate Home Fabbed Transfer Case Skid Home Fabbed High Clearance Rear Bumper **Suspension** ADS Front Coilovers (Extended Travel, 700lb coils, Remote Resi) Total Chaos UCAs Chevy 63 Swap w/ custom shock hoops 14" Bilstein 7100s **Wheels/ Tires** Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Front/Rear TRD Rock Warrior Wheels 285/75/16 BFG KO2s **Electrical** Pelfreybilt Auxiliary Fuse/Relay Panel Blue Sea Fuse Box Bussman 100 AMP Breaker **Recovery** Smittybilt 9.5k Winch **Lights** 20 Inch Single Row LED Bar Rigid Side Shooters (Flood/Pair) w/ CBI Offroad Ditch Light Brackets Rigid Duallys, Amber for fog lights **Miscelaneous Mods** Rear Diff Breather Relocation RAM Mount A-Pillar Mod w/ Garmin Power Cable DRT Fabrication Cab Mount Relocation Pinch Weld Mod (Mini Sledge Special) Short Rise Bed Bar for Tire Storage/ Hi-Lift Mount
    It’s an ongoing evaluation but I basically took what I made from my last job and figured that’s a good baseline. I save everything that I make that’s more than my previous salary. Makes it like I never got a raise. I also save in to my 401k as well as a Roth IRA.

6. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    JBTacoma

JBTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5, 2003 Double Cab and a Suzuki Samurai
    I forgot you are an engineer, let me explain.
    When you see only the side of a rectangle shape object and only the front of another rectangle shaped object in the same picture they are most likely 90 degrees to each other. Being we didn't use a snatch block he most likely pulled me sideways.

b.jpg

7. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    How do you pull that off for me and my daughter that I have every other week we spend that much easily. I've tried coupon clipping and suck royally at actually using them and doing it.

8. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:07 PM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    lol but that's not at all how you're sitting!

we can see the side of your front bumper in front of your grill, but we can see 0 of the rear of your samurai. we do see a straight on view of Brian's truck.

here's a drawing to explain for you. now tell me, are you getting pulled more backwards or sideways?

upload_2019-8-5_14-7-44.jpg

tweakit88 and InfernoChalupa like this.
  9. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 and '18 TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab
    My wife and youngest son eat like mice. Me, oldest son and daughter have a pretty normal diet. We don't buy sodas or candy or none of that bullshit. It's fresh fruit, veggies and I cook just about every single night. I also grow crops and do a little canning. I hunt deer during the fall and if I kill 6-7 deer in a season, that gives us ground meat for a year. Deep sea fishing, the same way. Charter a boat, catch hundreds of pounds of fish and it feeds us for up to a year.

whitedlite and InfernoChalupa like this.
  10. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    well said, again I wasn't saying Dave Ramsey's stuff was "crud" just that I didn't want books/videos/seminars and stuff to purchase. I'm sure he knows his stuff, but like you...I'm not going to get rid of credit cards and free money just because they can be the downfall of some folks.

InfernoChalupa likes this.
  11. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    So I was correct, yall are both right! You said straight back, wrong. Jeff said sideways, wrong. 45 degree pull, correct! lol

12. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    With credit cards, you are always owing somebody something. If I can't buy something outright, I just don't buy it. Unless it's an emergency of course, which is what the credit card is for. I hate owing anything to anyone. Everyone will be different in how they budget and their discipline to budget. That free money back shit sounds good, but doesn't take into account the interest charges over time.

13. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I said backwards. I drew the green lines to show you, look how much closer the winch line is to the backwards green line. it's about 45 degrees off Brians truck, but it's almost a 180 degree pull off the back of Jeff's samurai

14. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    Dave Ramsey's "crud" is what I followed to get out of debt. I also pay attention to a lot of different investing guys on where to go from here. Plus look to my parents and my grandparents on how they handled money. It's helped a lot in saving and being set. Now only buying stuff with cash is probably the hardest part because you can't just go out and spend 4g for stuff but it's nice saying and knowing that I don't have a credit card bill hanging over my head.

stronghammer likes this.
  15. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    that's not necessarily true that I will always owe somebody something.

say I have 500$ cash, and I also have a $500 credit card that gives me 5% back.

I want something that costs 100$ (that's w/ tax).

Buy it with cash, I'm out $100. Buy it with the credit card, I'm out $95. I had the money for it, but got some back for using the card. Payed it off with that cash, and don't owe anybody anything. Done.

16. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Jeannie and I are going to start a Roth IRA soon. Between that, both of our vested 401k accounts and the dime of every dollar that she and I have saved, will help out when we get older and want to buy our 40 acres of land out in the boonies!

17. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    Yeah I fish quite often not as much as I use to, same with hunting. Selling my home and moving into this apartment has huge limitations on putting meat away. Both me and my daughter eat above avg diets. For example just this morning we went through 8 eggs 1/2 pack of bacon, and one bowl of cereal. We are both far from being fat or unhealthy. I do the same with meals as well fresh fruits and veggies and cook or prepare meals ahead for later.

18. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    yeah when I said "crud" everyone took it the wrong way...guess I should've said "stuff"...

I'm looking at this EveryDollar thing Tyler pointed out and it looks pretty good to help see the numbers.

19. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    JBTacoma

JBTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5, 2003 Double Cab and a Suzuki Samurai
    Look where I am at, I had no problem backing up so why would I need to be pulled backwards. He pulled me sideways because when I tried to go backward I hit the rock BEHIND me.
    I really hope you have vision care and you may want to see someone about memory lose too, you took the picture.

cubie likes this.
  20. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I see your point. I don't use credit cards enough to amount to my 5% being worth anything at the end of the year. Plus, it would only benefit you if you put that 5% back when you get it, but a lot of folks blow it on a vacation, Christmas, remodeling, etc.

And even then, you still have the remainder of that debt on your credit card, which means you owe something to somebody! lol

stronghammer[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top