1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama thread!

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4WD
  2. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    An explanation of the excessive rainfall. I just want it to friggin stop.

From the WPC: Flash flooding over the Lower MS Valley developed from elements often seen when heavy rain occurs here. The jet stream transports moisture from the Pacific, as low-level winds transport moisture from the Gulf. Storms train along fronts in the moisture plume, causing flash flooding.

This is the GOES-17 infrared image showing the subtropical jet stream transporting mid and high-level moisture into the lower Mississippi Valley.

[​IMG]

This satellite image shows Total Precipitable Water, which is a measure of the depth of the moisture in the air. This image shows highly anomalous moisture values over the western Gulf states. Also, notice the deep moisture moving into the lower Mississippi Valley.

[​IMG]

This image shows that the low-level winds are transporting moisture onshore from the western Gulf of Mexico.

[​IMG]

This image explains that moisture and instability become focused on the fronts, and storms train along the front, which causes flash flooding.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    T4golfR

T4golfR Golf dad > Soccer mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    HSV, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 T4R
    Golf club accommodation mods
    Gate 1 at Redstone can suck it today! There was potential for gate 3 being closed due to flooding so gate 1 caught everything. got in line at 625 to and just sat down in my chair about 3 mins ago. Today furthers my hatred of people. Fuck, its only Tuesday!

Crikeymike, JEtaco03 and stronghammer like this.
  4. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    As if the rain wasn't enough, here's the Severe Weather forecast for Today and Tomorrow. There were some small areas of rotation yesterday evening in a line of storms North of Montgomery that moved thru Alex City and Dadeville, eventually making it to Auburn/Opelika but by the time they made it to Lee County it was just heavy rain. I don't know if any damage was associated with this or not. Just goes to show even with a low level threat of severe weather it can happen.

From AlabamaWX

RADAR CHECK: A band of steady, light to moderate rain is on radar at daybreak from near Aliceville to Tuscaloosa to Birmingham to Anniston, otherwise the sky is cloudy with temperatures generally in the 60s. A flash flood warning has been issued for the southern half of Tuscaloosa County until 9:15 a.m. CT.

NWS offices in Huntsville and Birmingham continue a flash flood watch for roughly the northern half of the state today, but the good news is that the rain won’t be as heavy or as widespread as yesterday. Additional rain amounts over the next 24 hours should be around 1/2 to 1 inch. Of course, creeks, streams, and rivers remain swollen, and in some cases out of the their banks.
    [​IMG]

We do note SPC has defined a low end, “marginal risk” (level 1/5) of severe storms today for parts of Central Alabama… a few storms this afternoon could produce gusty winds or small hail, but the overall severe weather threat is low.
    [​IMG]

SEVERE STORMS POSSIBLE TOMORROW NIGHT: Tomorrow will be mild and breezy with a few showers possible, but a decent part of the day will be dry. Temperatures will rise into the low 70s by afternoon ahead of an approaching cold front.

That front will push a band of strong, possibly severe thunderstorms into Alabama tomorrow night. Models continue to suggest low surface based instability values over the state, which should limit the overall threat. SPC has removed the “enhanced risk”, but they maintain a “slight risk” (level 2/5) for much of the state tomorrow night into early Thursday morning.

[​IMG]

TIMING: The window for strong to severe storms will open up around 9:00 tomorrow night over West Alabama. Better chance of a few severe storms could very well hold off until after midnight for Birmingham and points east… and the threat will wind down early Thursday morning.

THREATS: Heavier storms tomorrow night could produce hail, damaging winds, and possible a brief tornado or two. For now the overall tornado threat looks fairly low, but certainly not zero.

RAIN: Rain amounts of 1/2 to 1 inch are likely tomorrow night, and with the ground totally saturated some flooding issues could develop overnight.

Rain and storms will end early in the day Thursday, and we could see some clearing late in the day with a high in the 50s.

FRIDAY AND THE WEEKEND: Friday will be sunny and cold. We start the day in the mid to upper 20s in many areas, and the high will be in the upper 40s. Sunny weather continues Saturday; once again we will deal with a sub-freezing start (most places will start the day in the 20s), followed by a high in the mid 50s. Clouds increase Sunday, and some rain could reach the state by late afternoon. The high Sunday will be in the low 60s.

NEXT WEEK: The pattern favors mild and generally unsettled weather; highs will be in the 60s and there will be some risk of rain daily, especially during the first half of the week. See the Weather Xtreme video for maps, graphics, and more details.

5. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:45 AM
    JBTacoma

JBTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5, 2003 Double Cab and a Suzuki Samurai
    It's like most every other mod done on here, some have a use, some don't and some do it for the Gram. This mod like you said is mostly for camping. The ML-ACR switch controls how the batteries charge. Your battery used to start the truck is automatically disconnected when ever it sees it discharging and is reconnected when it sees a charge. You can also flip the switch and use the extra battery to jump start your truck. It also helps to have the extra battery when you have to use your winch over and over. You can actually use your winch enough that the alternator can't keep it charged.

When camping I use the extra battery in my roof top tent for lights, charge my GoPro and laptop, the grand kids use it while playing on their tablets, fans in the summer, electric blankets in the winter and some use it for a refrigerator/freezer.

Brian422 and cubie like this.
  6. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Arrowshot

Arrowshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4X4
    A Crap Load
    Old folks (myself excluded) have hearing issues and don't realize how loud they are.

7. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Haha I have some hearing issues too, and this guys has literally been told before that he’s too loud, he just doesn’t care and won’t put the effort in to go into a conversation room 10 feet from his cube.

8. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
    Got no more monies :annoyed:

cubie likes this.
  9. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    Brian422

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Not Stock
    Im just gonna by one of those battery boxes when the time comes. No need for a dual battery.

cubie likes this.
  10. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    JBTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Whats a battery box?

Dual batteries is something that you defiantly install because of a need.

JKU3000 and cubie like this.
  11. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:06 AM
    Brian422

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Not Stock
  12. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:09 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    FotoJet (26).jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Toyotacrawler and cubie like this.
  13. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    JEtaco03

JEtaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Market, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    Lifted on 18s and tires, LEDs all around
    Yeah, a row over from my old cube there was a guy, clear not from around here, that always talked at max volume. To the people setting next to him, someone in the walkway, even on a private phone call. Made the rest of us super annoyed. His boss said something to him, the office manager, and the main admin assistant but never did any good. To top off just being load, he was seemed pretty stupid on common everyday topics. So we all just made fun of him quietly or if we needed to talk about work, we would make it a point to be loader than him.

stronghammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    JEtaco03

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Market, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    yah I'm hoping my ride to work is better. I've had to stay at home for an extra 2 hours with the kids. you would think with the wife being a school teacher this type of thing would take care of itself, but HSV schools went like normal and Madison county schools are 2 hours delayed. It wouldn't be so bad if they had announced it before I left work yesterday and I could have brought my work computer home. I kind of figured traffic was going to be crap after seeing 2 people in the ditch on the way home.

15. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    that describes this guy perfectly as well! you know the pain. he's from Chicago so he acts like he knows everything and has an annoying accent that he yells with...

JEtaco03[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    JEtaco03

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Market, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    yeah I don't know where this dude was from but I do remember a load 20 minute argument over what constituted a millennial. He was arguing with the 30 yr old girl next to him, and even after she googled it he still insisted he was right.

stronghammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    JBTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I thought about one of those but recharging is the reason I went dual batteries. I go on multi day trips where I use them day and night especially when the grand kids are with me. To be able to use it more than one day you would have to add a solar charger and that puts the cost about the same as dual batteries and I'm not sure solar would be able to keep it charged, with the batteries they charge very quick.

cubie and Brian422[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Brian422

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Not Stock
    I thought about it and for me it whould be the better route. I can stick the battery in the bed connected to my outlet during the day while driving around and i would really only use it at night time. I can see the use for dual battery's if your letting alot of people use your juice. But for me the solar generator would be more than enough. Id only really use it for my phone/ipad and a small fan. Possibly a fridge if i get one in the future. Which i would probably get a lower watt/hour one to run my electronics and use the bigger one solely for the fridge. Would be more than enough and probably half the cost of dual batteries and i wouldn't have to wire anything and it potable from vehicle to vehicle.

19. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:44 AM
    JBTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cullman Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I can see how it would be useful, I thought about using one. if I didn't have a need for the extra winch power and didn't camp multiply days deep in the woods I may have went that way. Adding the battery monitor, optima yellow top and the wiring is the same price as the battery box and I don't have to even think about charging it, both have pros and cons.

Brian422[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 11, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    Brian422

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Not Stock
    I agree!