1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarm!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by andercal000, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    andercal000

andercal000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Everett
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD SPort
    RCD 4.5 inch lift kit
    so i searched and didn't really get any answer but i'm looking for remote starter and alarm system for my truck. I've been looking at viper, clifford, python and etc and they seem all the same they have. so tell me which one u think is the best or other company.

Thanks

2. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    mhunton

mhunton Member

Member:
    All three names you mentioned are lines made by Directed Electronics. Major differences are features. Small differences are build quality (i.e. keyfobs, etc.) and aesthetics. Clifford is the top line, then Viper, Avital and so on to include Python. I've installed all of them over the years and there are only slight differences as a whole.

Narrow down what you want to have the system do for you and research the features. Think real world use. Some people want all the bells and whistles and a week later can't remember how to roll their windows back up via remote. Stick to the basics and keep it simple.

I personally think the Clifford line is the most refined and dependable product available. However, the installation is more important that the product. The best Clifford out there won't work correctly and reliably if not installed correctly. Do your research and find a good installer you can build a relationship with and can talk to and trust.

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Dj0rk

Dj0rk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    I just put a Viper 5704 in my '08. Remote start works well with the added module to trick the ignition. Added the glass sensor and it came out to be a bit more than I wanted to pay. But, thanks to the IRS, I did it anyway. The only thing I've found is the non-LCD fob tends to be sensitive. Every once in awhile my wife will start the truck digging for something in her purse.

4. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    stattonmw

stattonmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Statton
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Tacoma TRDsport
    5" RCD Lift TOYO ATII Extreame 295/70R18 XD Addict wheels Factory toyota side steps TRD exhaust
    I am looking at compustar... I have had clifford, and autopage in the past and had good luck with both.

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    550kawirider

550kawirider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SR5 4X4 - Mag Grey
    Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 2 10'' Image Dynamics IQD.V4, JCV 2DIN, Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller, MB Quart ONXY Component speakers, OME 855 Coils, 5100's Front/Rear, 1/4 Taco Lean spacer Firestone Ride Rite Air bags, GloShift Dual Digital Air Guage/Needle Gauge, LotTek A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod, Powder Coated TRD Sport Rims, Coverking Seat Covers, Custom Interior Lighting, Custom TRD Sport Decals, Tint, In cab power outlet, Fog anytime mod, Backup camera anytime mod, Blue Sea Systems 6 bank fuse block w/ thermal switch, Viper 5901 Security/Remote Start, LED Bed Lights, Blacked out Badges, In-cab air bag controller, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Viair On-board Air System, Grover Semi truck air horn, Rhino Rack over bed rack system
    I had a Viper 5901 installed about a month ago and it works great! I had an issue with the remote starter intermittently not starting the motor (crank but not stay on) Turned out the first installer didnt hook up the tach wire. (he claimed newer alarm systems have a virtual tach sensor) be sure to have the installer hook up the tach wire. Fires up every time and its nice and toasty before I drive off. Its a huge piece of mind to have the paging alarm. I've received shock sensor notifications to the key fob, ran out to my truck to find the a-hole in the next parking stalls car door hitting my truck. Nothing like setting off the alarm to scare the piss out of them. :)

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    This is great advise^

If the alarm is quickly installed and care is not taken with the installation then not only could you have potential issues with it, but it could potentially be much easier for the would be thief to defeat.

Look at brands and features, but pay very close attention to the shop you are having install it and the installer him/her self. Care taken to hide wires, sensors and generally make the alarm more difficult to spot, get to and defeat is key. Solid connections and care taken to ensure safe and reliable long term installation is a must. Might cost you a bit more install wise as it takes longer, but in my opinion well worth it.

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    andercal000

andercal000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Everett
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD SPort
    RCD 4.5 inch lift kit
    ah now i know! i better start asking people who's around in seattle if they know anyone who can install and actually install it right and etc. thanks for the advice!

Products Discussed in

To Top