1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by 08WhiteTRD, Jun 17, 2008.

1. May 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Looks good...

Alth

2. May 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Looks good...

Although, I went with the OME Full Kit from ToyTec - so I can't really comment on the Billy kit...

Do some more research on the diff drop. There are very mixed opinions on here with regards to using the kit. I didn't.
    Couldn't be happier - was in a similar situation as you. Hit 100k, rear leafs were shot - front shocks were due for an upgrade etc.

You should get your lift, then buy my 265/75/16 A/Ts that I'm selling...ha.

Which Yota is yours? Silver double cab with an ARB and a topper?

Jake

3. May 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    savageoneseven

savageoneseven Member

Member:
    PA/AK
    Vehicle:
    2004 xtra I4 4x4 SR5 5sp
    Yeah....the xtra cab with bedliner black topper.

I'll look in to the diff drop. A few years back when I first got the truck it seemed like it was required to prevent excessive wear when lifting 3" or higher.

Too bad I don't have room to carry tires. Leaving the island in 2 weeks and the bed is already going to be packed in.

4. May 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    i have 5100s on the back of my second gen double cab long bed and i like them so far ive heard that the OME are just a tad stiffer but if you are trying to carry more weight then either OME or 5100s should do just about the same.

you leaving the island for good?!??! if you need help installing it i would be glad to help you out but i go on leave on the 17th of june. im on the 60 side of the airsta.

5. May 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    savageoneseven

savageoneseven Member

Member:
    PA/AK
    Vehicle:
    2004 xtra I4 4x4 SR5 5sp
    Yeah I'm moving to anchorage this month. Thanks for the offer though. Since I don't have my dirt bike at the moment, I'm itching to go wheeling instead....but my shocks are so bad I can't stand driving over bumps. Sucks!

6. May 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    wheresmikeys

wheresmikeys Get Some

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Red Lodge, Montana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD Off Road
    ARB Bumper. Old Man Emu Suspension Dont leave home without it
    I have the full OME suspension. LOVE it! No diff drop necessary.

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Howdy, guys! How's AK this time of year? I'll be spending the next month along the Kenai River just SouthWest of Anchorage. Any suggestions for clothing to bring?

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    stvnshnn

stvnshnn Active Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just got back from Ninilchik last week. It can vary from day to day and even from hour to hour. I would bring clothes for weather ranging from rainy, windy and 45 degrees to sunny and 75. We lucked out and had great weather for the three days we were down there. Have fun.

9. Jun 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Sweet! Sounds like my type of weather. Thank you!

10. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Bring good rain gear and warm clothes. Chances are it will be raining and chilly. It makes those 70 degree days so much nicer when they don't happen every day :D

11. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    Bring just about your entire closet if you can. The weather around here, especially on the Kenai changes by the hour so you'll want to be prepared. If your fishing on the rivers you might even want some long johns to have under your waders on the chilly days. Then again it might be bluebird and 80 degrees the whole time your here! Oh, and don't forget the camera. People travel here for the views for a reason :D

12. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    What color is your truck? Theres a silver taco with out of state plates that I've been seeing around Girdwood lately. Possibly you?

13. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Ack!

It can get chilly in the summertime? How's the city of Kenai? Any fun nightlife, or just bars?

14. Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    Chilly if your standing thigh deep in a glacial river. It was only about 50 today in Girdwood which is about and hour and a half north of Kenai. And im the wrong person to ask about Kenai nightlife considering my age... 17 :p

15. Jun 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Haha yeah man it gets chilly in the summer when it's raining and windy out. Especially if you are fishing on the Kenai. That water is glacial fed and freezing. But I'd say you'll see 50-60 degree weather for the most part.

The nightlife anywhere in Alaska is not very exciting compared to places in the lower 48. Kenai will have bars, but not much else. You could always check out Goodtime Charlies as well...Never been myself. It's in Soldotna though.

16. Jun 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Guess I don't mind the weather, but I didn't think about the water temperature. In four years, I'll be looking for your answer on the nightlife. heheh

That glacial water again... hmmmm... think I may have to prepare a bit more for that. Thanks for the head's up! How's the Kenai River? Big? Wide? Choppy waves? Calm?

17. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    All of the above depending on where you are.

18. Jul 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    so anyone on here ever been up to Barrough during Sept!?!!

19. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    HOLY SH*T, THIS PLACE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! The drive from Anchorage to Soldotna was crazy, stupid beautiful. Ya'll are lucky to live here!

20. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    We feel that way too! Don't tell too many people about it though, we like our quiet. You crazy californians and all your shenanigans....

Haha but seriously that drive is really pretty, you ought to make your way to sutton up north, good off roading and crazy beautiful there too. :) I'm headed up in a few days to do some shooting.

Products Discussed in

To Top