1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ALCAN Drive 2011

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeverich, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dec 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Those are golden words to live by up here ... and it doesn't just apply to your vehicle!

Reminds me of the old Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry line - "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Finally, if you don't mind my saying ... you are wise beyond your years IMHO! That will serve you well up here ... because Alaska is a wonderful land ... but she'll kick your butt if you don't respect her!:cool::)

God's Speed for a safe journey for the remainder of your trip...this thread is awesome!

2. Dec 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    hutchg

hutchg Member

Member:
    Are you taking the ferry from Homer? My sister lives in Homer. We were up there last summer. It's fantastically beautiful!! She and her family are here in Texas for Christmas but flying back on the 26th. They'll arrive home about the time you hit Homer. Fantastic people...let me know if you need anything while in Homer and they'll be glad to help.

Hutch

3. Dec 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Boost JuNkY

Boost JuNkY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2003 TACOMA DC OFF ROAD
    35'S ON 3s
    Thanks for sharing... someday I'd like to take that trip!

4. Dec 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy searchgeek

Member:
    Merry Christmas jeverich! Stay safe on the rest of the trip - loving the report thus far. Makes me want to head to the mountains nearby to play in the snow... :)

5. Dec 25, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Epic thread...:cool:

I drove across the US in 2000 with my First gen Taco, but it pales in comparison to this adventure....:eek:

Stay Safe Jake!

We're rooting for you! :thumbsup:

6. Dec 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I want to make it up there someday. But I will admit I simply don't have the brass cojones to do it in the winter. Props to you and stay safe.

7. Dec 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Made it to Anchorage - I'll give an update in the AM...

Tired, hungry and ready for a drink. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Stand by to stand by,
    jake

8. Dec 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    Glad to hear you made it into Anchorage. My wife and I made the drive from San Antonio to Anchorage seven years ago. It was a beautiful ride. I would love to do it all over again. Stay safe !

9. Dec 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    Welcome to our snow:) We have about 6 feet piled around our driveway at the moment.

10. Dec 25, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Great news! Awesome job documenting your adventure and sharing it here. I think you have a following now. You'll have to keep us posted on how things go in Kodiak. Welcome to the Last Frontier. :)

TW can have it's very own version of "Deadliest Catch"! :D

Sincerely, Best of Luck with the new job!

11. Dec 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
    Awesome thread. Sub'd

Who did you work for up in Port Townsend?
    I did some temp work in P.A. on the Hood canal Bridge a couple years ago.

12. Dec 26, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Do yourself a favor today and stop at the Sunrise Inn (its a cafe/motel/gas station/RV park right in front of the landing strip there) in Cooper's Landing for a lunch break...they have the best burgers! At least that was true when I was up there.

13. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    TOYMAN chicago

TOYMAN chicago Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Chicago
    Jake, what wonderful memories you will have from this trip. When you get settled, buy the light kit you want (merry christmas) and I will send you a check or furnds via PAY PAL

14. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    TOYMAN chicago

TOYMAN chicago Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Chicago
    don't be offended other members, no toyota here just wanted to be able to follow my god son and his adventure.

15. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    wheresmikeys

wheresmikeys Get Some

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Red Lodge, Montana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD Off Road
    ARB Bumper. Old Man Emu Suspension Dont leave home without it

Those are the best flaps EVER. I have some off my old 60 and a couple left from an 85 4Runner that I will be retro fitting to my Taco

16. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    wheresmikeys

wheresmikeys Get Some

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Red Lodge, Montana
    Vehicle:
    You definitely have to go with the Dakars. The first thing I did with my 98 Taco was new rear leafs. And now I am ordering them for my 08. It helps a ton with weight

17. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    PC4x4

PC4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4
    Suspension: Icon front, Icon 2.5 rear resi, aal few other small things
    This is incredible and inspiring. Puts some perspective on the great outdoors...

Thanks!

18. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    wheresmikeys

wheresmikeys Get Some

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Red Lodge, Montana
    Vehicle:
    GOt to go to Humpys. The bloody mary bar is great

19. Dec 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Pulled into Anchorage last night around 1830 - following a somewhat cursory "Christmas" dinner of pre-made sandwiches from a Chevron in Palmer. Quite celebratory, I must say!

In all honesty, the last day of the drive was one of the most trying in terms of road conditions and weather. Needless to say, I was surprised somewhat.

Departed beautiful Tok, AK around 10:30 - almost got stuck in the middle of town... Went to make a turn around and under-estimated the depth of the snow. Got stuck. Here I am, Christmas morning - hopefully stuck - for all the churchgoing families to see! Took a breath, collected myself - then started to work myself free. Took a few 'rock back and forwards'; managed to heat up the clutch pretty good (clutch packs smell horrible). I got out! Used the 'poor mans locker' trick of pulling out the Emergency brake a few clicks to equalize the torque across the rear axle.

About an hour outside of Tok - snow started falling and road conditions began to deteriorate considerably. A pang of desperation began to fester in my stomach after passing several CLOSED gas stations; especially when my tank was on the wrong side of the half full marker. Reached Glenallen on a quarter tank, and was able to fill up. Salvation in the form of expensive petroleum products!

The moose were apparently celebrating the holiday as well - they seemed to appear in droves all throughout the highway. Yes, they are big. No, the bull bar wouldn't do much to mitigate a collision with one. Slow down.

The distinct signs of human population soon began to assimilate over the horizon - sodium vapor light glow, planes, buildings...

Took some re-training to drive in traffic again. It's amazing how easily you forget that there are obligatory asshole drivers everywhere. I would say that the majority of those that I encountered driving the Alaska Highway this time of year had a mutual respect for their fellow motorists. Case in point - 10 people stopping to ensure that the Dodge was pulled out of the ditch in Watson Lake.

Well - off to get some breakfast and have the oil changed in the truck. MtGirl, I'll see if I can find the Sunrise Inn. Think I'm going to hang out in Anchorage for tonight again.

Not too many pictures from yesterday - it was somewhat of a "hammer down' day.

20. Dec 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top