1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment question help!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by THROUGHITALLDUDE, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE [OP] Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    Ok so i just recently lifted my truck 2.5 with some toytec coilovers truck drives awesome BUT after i got it new tires and got it aligned i found out the guy who did my alignment i guess isnt very good at it. And now when i turn my truck far right as far as it can go the tire rubs the lower control arm. I have stock tire size so i know that that isnt the problem. What my question is is if he messed up on the alignment can that be the reason why my right side only is rubbing when its maxed out?

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Yes, it is common to find alignment techs who are clueless but honestly, I've never heard of a tire rubbing on an LCA. I wish I could tell you more but someone on here probably can.

My wife and I both have degrees from UCR. What program are you in?

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    I am studying Business and Psychology so i plan to double major what kind of degree did you get

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    My wife got her PhD in Psychology there. I got a B.A. is Sociology. Now I'm a teacher and have a Master's from University of New Mexico.

Again, I don't know what to say about your rub. Did the alignment tech accidentally knock off a steering bump stop or something?

Be patient. Chris 4x4 will come to the rescue.

5. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Good point. It's a hassle to take it back for a few hours but I think it's worth it to see what they have to say about it.

A picture of UCR too. Nice, but it's difficult to recognize without the smog.

6. Jan 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    So i went to the shop again and the guy stood there saying he has no clue why the left side has 2inches of clearance and the right side has none. so i went to a different shop that i always go to and the guy said that if they did not straighten the rack before getting the truck aligned than the truck can get aligned but steering will be offset therefore causing the steering wheel over extend to the right and under extend to the left leaving room for the right to clear the lower arm but cause the left to rub because tech. the left side turn radius was taken away and given to the right causing it to turn further than it did before. so monday the other shop is going to realign it correctly

7. Jan 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    That sucks. I hear way too many alignment horror stories. Fortunately I found a great local shop that has done a couple lifted vehicles for me with no problems. Are you going to pursue this any further with the first shop or are you just writing that off?

8. Jan 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    i am just gonna let it go theres no sense in fighting him he gave me a great deal on nitto terra grapplers so i will just drop it. so as long as it gets fixed i am good

Products Discussed in

To Top