1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment questions...guys chime in please

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by r12rex, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Aug 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    r12rex

r12rex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Guys,

I purchased the firestone lifetime alignment. They got the alignment within the specified range (I don't understand why they have ranges to begin with and if so, these ranges should be within half of a degree not 1)...anyway, the truck has Billys up front set to 2.5 and rear 1.5 AAL. Caster is obviously going to be off, but what irks me is the camber. Firestone set the front to 0.7 and 0.5 L/R. I went back and asked that they put it as close to 0 as possible, but the stupid service rep said he couldn't do that without a camber kit...that's bullshit...

How close have you guys been able to get your camber to 0?

The problem is the tires are already wearing unevenly...*read outer edge*. Tire pressures are fine and all else is good, but those stupid guys at Firestone won't listen to me about the front camber.

Any thoughts?

I have a pretty extensive background on car suspension and alignment because of my Subaru STi that's been modded to death and sees track duty.

The half degree doesn't sound like much, but it is and quite honestly I'm not satisfied with the outcome of the alignment. I went as far as to call my alignment guy whom is the only guy I ever let align my Subie, but unfort. he won't do it because it's a truck.

Thanks for the input.

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

2. Aug 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have always been able to get them to 0* Camber. Never had issues.

3. Aug 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    r12rex

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Chris,

That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

That camber kit bullshit is crap. I know these trucks have factory camber adjustment and there was not a doubt in my mind that it had enough to bring it back to 0 even with the small lift.

Where did you get your alignment BTW?

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

4. Aug 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Are you in AZ? I get mine done at Shumans Auto Clinic. I have found they do the best out here.

5. Aug 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5
    SOLD!
    It seems to be that Firestone is the issue here. I have had some serious issues with multiple Firestone locations in the past. You get what you pay for with cheap labor.

I would recommend taking your truck to a shop that specializes in alignments, and is well known for quality work.

6. Aug 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    It seems like the store you went to is the problem- Trying to get you to have more work done or whatever.

My local Firestone got mine to like .2 and.3 and it drives true with even/proper wear on the tires.

7. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    r12rex

Member:
    Just took it to a different Firestone and they fixed it. :)

Yea, the one right around my house is not very customer friendly.

Anyway, all is well now. :)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

To Top