1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All About Suppressors

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Polymerhead, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Dec 1, 2014 at 2:24 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    If both are bolt guns, perhaps the SiCo Harvestor? Marketed more towards hunting than tactical. Do the rifles in question have threads on their barrels? Adapters may be needed for proper threads to mount the suppressors. Any grain weight will be quiet as long as the loading will yield less than 1100 fps at the muzzle. A bolt gun is ideal for suppression as all the gasses are forced out the suppressor rather than having some come back out the receiver as self loaders do when the action reciprocates.

2. Dec 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    06indigoink

06indigoink Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    i hope they do that where I end up going. suppressors on layaway!! hell i may get more than i wanted
    the 308 I'm looking at is going to have threads on it, the 270 will have to be taken apart and sent off to have threads cut.

3. Dec 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I used Tornado Technologies to have a Savage 22wmr Bull cut to specs for a 22Sparrow and was impressed with the workmanship. They don't get in a big hurry mind you, from what i can tell they are quite busy and try to wait for a "batch" of stuff so they have less tooling changes. Customer service answers update emails and such in a day or two. Will use them again in the future.

4. Mar 9, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    Alright....I never thought I would ever be in a position to do this, but here I am....and I BLAME ALL OF YOU!!!
    I'll be shopping for my first can....
    So, here is my thinking...I have a browning buck mark 22 caliber (which I'm happily going to emulate the OP) by going with a Tactical Solutions barrel with threads (5.5 inch). And I'm in the process for shopping and having a hard time finding a KelTec CMS 30 22 mag. This already comes with a threaded barrel.
    Question for all you experts...do you think I can get a can with two different caps/threads for use on two different guns? I have no idea what the thread diameter is for either gun, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the disappointment. Your responses are greatly appreciated (as is all the great information here).

5. Mar 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    The thread diameter is per caliber. So all 22 cal guns should be threaded the same. Then as you step up in calibers it can change so u will be good to go 22 to 22

6. Mar 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are you talking two different caliber guns, or about using on a Buckmark and a CMR30? Multi caliber usage is a big plus with some suppressors, however I would not recommend using any rimfire on a sealed, non serviceable can. I just spent all afternoon Saturday picking lead out of my rimfire cans.

Standard threads on .22 caliber guns should be mostly 1/2-28 tpi. I'm sure that's what the TacSol barrel has and without checking, is what should be on the CMR. Some rimfire pistols do require an adapter...S&W, Walther come to mind.

There are a lot of folks who will shoot rimfire through their 9mm cans and have good suppression results. Again though, I would only do this with a can that can be easily disassembled as the crud will build up.

I would suggest sticking with a rimfire can for rimfire.

There are tons of adapters available should the need arise BTW.

7. Mar 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Both guns will accept the same can, with no separate endcap needed. Both are threaded 1/2"x28. A quality rimfire can would work fine on both guns. A good example would be the Silencerco Spectre II. Good luck. A quality rimfire can is an exceptional amount of fun. And remember, the best time to have applied for an NFA Form 4 is a year ago. The second best time is today. Get the process started and you'll be shooting before you know it.

I have owned a Buckmark and added a TacSol barrel just as you mentioned. It is a fine combination.

8. Mar 10, 2015 at 3:54 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! You guys really know your stuff. Now....who can source me a CMR 30? lol. I'm heading to a shop today to get the paperwork started. It's been a while since I've added to my weapons stash, but I've only kept ones that I actually shoot and have a need for (like hunting). I feel this is a good opportunity to get back to target shooting (shooting paper is boring) and "enhance the value of my collection." I'll keep everyone updated.

9. Mar 10, 2015 at 8:57 AM
    Catcrazed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    I hear the sparrow is a great 22 suppressor I think it is made by silencer co. And is 22 mag rated.

10. Mar 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I've seen the reviews on it and there is a video on youtube for it. Very nice. I'm thinking about just going all tactical solutions for a one stop shop for a 22 barrel and suppressor. They have one that is 22 mag rated too....I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. Maybe I need to do a little more research.

11. Mar 10, 2015 at 3:21 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Always happy to help a perspective stamp collector out!

I am also interested in the CMR. Prolly will wait for a bit to let them "cool off" before I get after one.

As far as target shooting....its all what you make of it. Reactionary targets like steel and flippers can take the monotony out of chasing the perfect group. I started shooting flies last summer...great fun! For my next trick I shall try driving roofing nails.

Yup, WMR rated. I just put 150 rounds through mine a couple weekends back.

12. Mar 11, 2015 at 4:22 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Good news folks....just picked up a silencerco. It'll handle the long rifle and wmr. All paid and submitted. Ordering a new Tac Solutions barrel today and have a very good connection for the keltec. Let's see what I get first....just kidding....it'll obviously be the barrel! haha.

13. Mar 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    Damn that's exactly what I was just thinking about building next. Nice set up :cheers:

14. Mar 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    Catcrazed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    Thanks.
    Shoots like a champ. I tried to expire no expense.

15. Mar 12, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Hopefully starting paperwork on 2 suppressors next week, a 30 cal can (30-06 and down) and an integrally suppressed ruger mkIII 22/44

16. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I have to ask though: Why go with integral? I'll admit I've entertained an integral 10/22 barrel, but with a can you can have multiple hosts and not spend the $200 on just one rig.

17. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Yes sir, that's why I went with my decision. 1 can, 2 different guns...and potentially more! ps. I ordered my Tac Sol 4 inch od green today with compensator and rail. Hope you don't mind me copying polymerhead!

18. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Lol, I hold no patents on it. Here's a photo of my old host (buckmark) and new host (22/45 lite).

Lite_zps9eef0fb0_23f6966dd389c009a0a7d966a1a10f6c14d3e05e.jpg

19. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good looking shooters! I had to run out of the fun store the other day....they had this behind the glass3908%201_6fe3cdc3c40ef8ea4b9d3fadbaca98f00f68312c.jpg

I will have one, but have too many projects in the works at the moment. Its frickin speedway blue!!

20. Mar 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub

Because I got to shoot one of the integral guns and I can say with out a doubt that I will eventually get one. And if I got a stand alone it would live on my ruger MKIII approximately 95% of the time. I'll eventually get a stand alone .22 can for rifles. But at this point I have no guns that are threaded for a .22 can (my .308 and my ARs are threaded

And because I know the manufacturers

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top