1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All ABS Satoshi

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HBMurphy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Pardon the mess (rough draft / no pictures) but I've received a number of messages asking for this - this write up is a work in progress - I still need the pics. If someone lives in the Huntington Beach area I would be glad to help someone make one and we'll get the pictures for this write up. - You would be a great candidate if you have a black bumper that you want to trade for a black one... ;)

All ABS Satoshi Grille

What you will need
    1 Original Equipment or Equivilent Toyota Tacoma Grille Assembly
    1 10” X 30” piece of Mesh Material (to more closely match the existing mesh use…)
    A coping saw (hand jig saw)
    1 pair of aviation type tin snips
    30 inches of 3/4 “ wide blue tape
    Pair of leather gloves
    1 toaster oven
    1 oven thermometer
    Eye dropper or disposable syringe

1 can of Satin Black see notes below labeled ‘Paint Color & Sheen’ below
    1 can of ABS solvent/glue (home improvement/hardware/plumbing supply store)
    1 ABS Pipe Hanger (Home Depot) used to mount the mesh to the grille assembly
    20 ____ Screws
    20 ________ washers
    1 8” X 8” piece of cardboard

Why All ABS
    The traditional method of making a Satoshi grille is to use fiberglass to fill in the voids that are created by removing the center portion of the grille. Fiberglass is great for repairing fiberglass – surfboards, original corvettes, fiberglass port-o-potties, etc. ABS is great for repairing ABS. This way the material will behave the same way the original grille material behaves – especially how it bonds to itself and how will handle vibration over time.

What is ABS?
    ABS is a thermoplastic, meaning that you can heat this and reshape ABS plastic and it will retain its physical characteristics. It can be ‘welded’ with a plastics welding tool. If you have one of these available to you (they can be purchased for as-low-as $40 at Harbor Frieght) you can weld the seams. On this project, we will be using ABS solvent/glue that can be purchased at Home Depor for $3 a can (more than enough for this project).

Step 1
    Remove the existing grille.
    If you have an ‘extra’ grille that you will be using for this mod, obviously skip this step.

Picture of the attachments of the grille

Step 2
    Remove the center portion of the grille. Be gentle since the part that you remove will also be used to make other parts for this mod.

Start by taping the grille about 1” away from the cut zone (optional but I did this to minimize extra scrapes in the plastic that would need to be filled and sanded).

- Pic of ‘cut zone’

Removing the Center Section
    Use caution while using the coping saw to limit the number of scratches that you put outside of the saw cut area (this leads to more work later).
    Start at the top and work towards the bottom being carefull – if you do it right, you will be making your cut clean and at the same level as ‘mouth opening’ – this is for two reasons: 1) less sanding/grinding later and 2) will allow you to form your four inserts to form the curve on the inserts to fill the void on the grille.

- Pic of cutting from top-to-bottom

Clean Up of "Mouth" Opening
    Using an electric orbital sander, smooth down the ridges where the center section was removed.

Void Inserts
    Remove the bottom two wings of the grill center

- Pic of removing bottom wings

Cut out the flat section (horizontal part of center opening) of the grille center (both sides).

- Pic of flat section

Cover the smoother side with blue tape and draw the outline of the voids in the grill surround

- pic of tracing of the insert pucks

Cut the inserts out by carefully cutting on the traced line with the aviation type tin snips - makes it very easy and creates a nice cut.

- pic of cutting puck

Forming of the Inserts
    The purpose of heating the inserts is to form the slight curve in the inserts to conform with the shape of the existing grille. Do not overheat the ABS! It will burn! You only want to heat it enough to allow you to gently reshape the insert.

With a small torch (I used the stove), heat the insert peices so that the tips will be able to be bent to conform to the curvature of the "mouth" opening of the grille. Hold in place for 30 seconds to allow insert to cool enough to retain its new shape.
    Repeat for the 3 other inserts

Cut out the Doublers
    Cut doublers (to use as back reinforcements for the inserts) from the scrap abs (flat pieces) that with the tin snips

Installling the Inserts
    Mask the voids so that only 1/16”-1/8” of the material around the voids are showing. Installing one insert at a time, wet the edges of the insert and the voids with the ABS cement (the wet bead should be about 1/16” – 1/8”)

Place the insert into the opening and hold for 10 seconds
    Wet the backside of the doubler
    Wet the backside of the grill opening ½” -3/4”

- pic of glue on backside

Hold all three pieces together for 10 seconds making sure that they are located so that the new insert is flush with the grill opening

- detail of flush

Repeat for the other three inserts and the upper disc

Filling the depressions (optional)
    Tape the backs of the depressions with blue tape as shown.
    Use the eyedropper or syringe to fill the depressions just enough to fill level with the existing material.

- pic tape of voids

Install the Screw Bosses
    Making the screw bosses take the pipe hanger and cut between the marks to make 12 screw bosses. Sand one side of screw boss as shown

- pic

Sand the backside of the grill opening in the following areas
    Apply adhesive to the sanded areas and press together and hold for 10 seconds
    Repeat for the four other screw bosses

After completing the installation of the inserts, the filling of the depressions and then allow the adhesive to dry for approximately two hours to let cure.

Trim Mesh Material
    Using the template that you made in [ ] above, cut a piece of the mesh in the same shape as Install the door ding protection around the perimeter of the mesh as shown

- pic

Now set the mesh assembly aside.

Once the ABS adhesive is thoroughly set, sand the ‘flashing’ from the glue flush with the grill opening being carful not to eat in much on the existing grill opening material with 240 grit sand paper. Once the glue and filler material is level with the original grill surround, finish sanding with 400 grit sand paper
    Sand the backside edge perimeter to make sure that it has a nice curve.

Painting the grill surround.

Attaching the Grille Insert
    Screw the mesh material to the grill assembly as shown below

- pic

Installing Your New Satoshi Grille

I cant think of a better thing to cover with a good coat of desert dust!

2. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Nice write up bud! A+

3. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    What an excellent write up! I'm more of a visual person so hopefully those pics come soon but can't wait to see them and see how it turns out!

4. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM
    calicoupe

calicoupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    I live in HB and would be able to assist. Pls let me know. thanks

5. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    Thanks for the writeup. I can't wait to see pics. I'm definitely going to try this method, since I work at a plumbing warehouse and can get my hands on all this stuff.

6. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:49 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    good write up can't wait to see it

7. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    raydey boy

raydey boy New Member

Member:
    Mililani, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Package
    Debadged and all stock
    any status on this or pix?

8. Sep 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    I just got my grill parts (mesh metal, emblem) today and I'm interested in banging this out the way youre talking about.

Edit - I also saw an abs/plastic welding kit on harbor freight for like 30$, with materials. I googled and found a few tutorials, interesting stuff.

9. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Any update on this yet?

10. Nov 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    Subscribed.

11. Nov 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  12. Nov 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    2chains

2chains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB 3" Revtek lift
    3" Revtek lift, k&n 63-9025 intake, tailgate debadge, OEM Bed mat, decals gone. helo black max 6 bs 4.5 os-12,duratrac 285 70 17,smittybilt light bar, kc slimlites, pioneer pb3300 bt, window tint, weathertech digfits, raider lorider elite tonneau, at2525xl,

Products Discussed in

To Top