1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Brushguards are worthless?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by jspadaro, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I'm looking for some place to mount some extra lights, and maybe get a bit of protection, but no need for a winch.

I'm toying around with the idea of a bunch of stuff - the artic bar, the warn trans4mer, an n-fab light bar, the randy ellis light bar, or maybe a kennesaw / arb / all-pro-type replacement bumper.

The bumpers seem like the best (super solid, tow points, winch capability for later, etc) but they look like hell, imho. :rolleyes:

Whereas I think brush guards look awesome. :cool:

There's really not a functional brush guard out there? The only way to get front-end deer/sapling/etc protection is with a replacement bumper? :mad:

2. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    WATRD

WATRD Keyser Soze

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Duvall, WA
    Vehicle:
    '01 S/C SAS TRD
    WATRD.com
    I haven't seen one that would stand up to more than tall grass yet :( I had the WAAG and loved the way it looked, but it got bent the first time it encountered a rock in even a minor way :(

I have seen a bunch of various brands on the trails over the years, but pretty much all of them feared stout blackberry bushes. They are GREAT for fending off shopping carts, but that's the extent of it.

Sorry :(

3. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I'm currently leaning towards a modular brush guard and leaving off the headlight guards. At least the brush guards mount to 4 points instead of 2 for the bull bars. The other I was thinking about was the Avid light bar.

4. Oct 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    With out a bumper, this was the last brush guard I saw that had purpose...
    [​IMG]

Bumper with brush guard, I think the All Pro, ARB and Shrockworks all look good (if it was just for looks, I would leave the guards off. For protection - get em all!

My 2c

5. Oct 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    IMG_1677_c7ea9ade0242a4bee9de79f7c3a6fc43d4b91fcd.jpg

I had this on my truck for a while. It wasn't as strong as a plate/tube bumper, but it was still a good brush guard. It saved my headlight when i ran up against a tree, I had to get the fender replaced cuz it got smashed in, but the brush guard pushed it away from my headlight. and i was off roading when my truck tripod-ed, it tipped forward and landed on the bottom of the brush guard. saved the stock bumper. so all in all, it saved me a headlight and a bumper....and moved a lot of shopping carts out of the way!

so they're not as pointless as you think.....but still not as strong as a full bumper replacement.

my .02

6. Oct 5, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I had a WAAG on my 96 and I beat the piss out of it until I replaced it with a front TJM bumper.

The WAAG stood up to a lot and it protected my front bumper valance.

The way I look at it, brush guards or grill guards are better than not having anything at all. Offroad bumpers are $$$$$$$$$$$$ and not everyone can afford them. Having a brush guard/ grill guard is better than nothing.

Products Discussed in

To Top