1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Oct 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Think you hit the nail on the head at the beginning there. The idea is what draws me in and sounds perfect, but the logistics and practicability is unknown. Probably going to end up on the trainer to get through the snowy times and save my money for the gravel bike.

2. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Adirondack Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR
    Riding in powder is unbearable. Riding in wet packable snow also isn't great, but it's better than powder. Riding where it's groomed is awesome.

I had wanted a fat bike for a long time and figured that I wouldn't get my money's worth out of it. I bought one a few years ago and love it in the right conditions. I'd say it's worth renting one if you can and trying it out for a weekend before committing. From what I see online it seems like people either love or hate their fatbikes, so it would suck to put in the money and find out that you hated it.

Gunshot-6A[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    paleh0rse

paleh0rse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB
    The Wakefield and Accotink trails should be mild enough. Maybe take them up to Rosaryville, as well?

4. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    Anyone do any 12-15 hour rides in the past?

I'm turning 30 next year and am trying to think of some fun physical challenge to prove I'm not really that old. My first idea was to run 30 miles. last marathon I ran was like 5+ years ago and it sucked. so this would take a lot of training and preparation.

my dad suggested drinking 30 beers in a day, which would also take some training and prep, but is more manageable in my opinion, and realistically would hurt about as much and running 30 miles.

but yesterday i timed myself on a local mtb loop thats pretty well known around here. this loop has taken me 20-25 minutes to do over the last few months. maybe i do this 30 times? that would be around 12-15 hours of riding. a friend has the KOM on it at around 11 minutes, so theres plenty of room for me to shave some time to bring down the overall riding time. this feat would also take more prep and training, but i think i would enjoy this the most.

i haven't done 12-15 hours in the saddle before. ive done multiple days at 7+ hours on a mtb, around 60-70 miles on those days. i think it took me around 11 hours to do 100+ miles one day touring from SF to LA, but this just kinda happened due to poor planning and i wasnt racing against the clock.

i guess im just looking for encouragement or past experiences.

5. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    doesn't look like you had the trails all to yourself..... :troll:

6. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:57 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Shoot, I also turn 30 next June. We aren't old, bro. Solid prep, then proper pacing is def the key to success.

Park City Point to Point isn't super long time wise, but 75mi and 12,000 feet of climbing will murder mortal riders.
    25 Hours of Frog Hollow is in STG, Utah. I'm sure we could get a few folks together for a team for next November if you want to run it.
    True Grit has 50 and 100 mile options.
    Crusher in the Tushar.
    If you're into gravel, Stupid Pony here in SLC is a race for psychos, but fits your time criteria.
    Kokopelli trail runs from Fruita to Moab if you want to get your bikepack on.

mrtonyd[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Second @Geoff's comment. I loved my fatbike, but riding in untracked pow is a sufferfest. Thankfully PC has some groomed trails that are a pretty fun way of getting outside. I'm sure there's a big scene in the Northeast for fat biking as well.

That said, I no longer own a fatbike. As much as I loved it, I only rode it a few times a year, and I enjoy a good ski day more.

levie125 likes this.
  8. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I turn 30 on the 30th. I’m not old, but not a spring chicken anymore. I’ve got to get back in the gym.

mrtonyd, levie125 and Gunshot-6A[OP] like this.
  9. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM
    treyfive

treyfive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 PEARL BLUE TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD
    looks sick what kinda bikes?

10. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    mrtonyd

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    bikepacking kokopelli is something i could sign up for. been wanting to drive it for awhile but bikepacking seems like it would be easier permit wise.

racing sounds fun too, but im a bit nervous with 0 racing experience. if i can build up enough of a fitness base i would like to do the pikes peak apex in colorado springs. been watching a bunch of syd and macky lately and im getting the bug.

with enough notice i'd be down to join a team for a longer race

11. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    ETBA

ETBA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road
    Most of the parts are pretty decent, would like to upgrade the fork and shave a couple of pounds with some other component upgrades. Very happy with the bike, got to take it a local trail yesterday and loved it.

ginseng27[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    Truly the ONLY thing that fights with me on my bike are the Presta valves. I'm not going up against the design. It is what it is. But I must know, please help:

WHO:

a) makes a good Presta replacement screw in valve? The ones that came with my rims are really shitty, weak, seals and threads suck (or rather blow and leak)
    b) makes a good Presta chuck? I have this Azuno Amazon special that is a REAL POS. Doesn't really work, isn't accurate worth a shit and seems incapable of 25psi+
    c) makes a good Presta pressure gauge?

Feel free to tell me I doing it wrong. I'm open minded for a solution. I just resealed the tires with ~3.5 oz of Stan's using a Kom sealant injector, and frankly that part was smooth and pleasurable. All back together and here comes the Presta fight. Thread the valve in, leave it loose for inflation and the 30 minutes of farting starts.........25 psi.......soft............shit................

Gunshot-6A[OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    When you say "leave it loose" do you mean leave the valve core or the top screw thing...? Make sure you're fully tightening the valve core with a valve core tool.

I upgrade the presta valves on all my bike wheels and then keep the originals as spares. It may seem silly, but it's pretty cheap and decent valves let air flow better and seal better in my experience. I've tried stans, muc-off, and cush core ones. I think they range from about $20-30 and you can pick fun colors! Just putting in new valve cores every year or so can also help.

a) Muc-off/Stans valves and valve cores
    b) I've not had much issue with most pumps. If you want a fancy one: https://www.arundelbike.com/product/hansel-pump-head/
    c) For the bike and truck:

14. Oct 25, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    A. Not sure theres a good mfg of presta valves. I assume they are all low QA made in china type components.

B/C. I do have good things to say about my walmart special Bell track pump that has schraeder and presta holes. It's a couple pounds off of true, but is consistent, which is what really matters

Pablo8[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Oct 25, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    LeFreakyBone

LeFreakyBone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off-Road Midnight Black Metallic
    Leopard print steering wheel cover
    I recently picked up a set of these titanium presta valves. Mainly for the neat colors, but they also sell a refresh kit that comes with new seals and cores.

Actually just found an article reviewing them, https://bikepacking.com/gear/lindarets-terske-titanium-tubeless-valve-stems/

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Pablo8[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 25, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    Top "in" valve part, must be loose to blow air in.

17. Oct 25, 2021 at 12:09 PM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    oh. you're talking about the thing you hav eto unscrew on the presta valves to pump air in. Not the core itself. Gotcha. That's fine. Check the core as well, make sure the rubber seal is in good condition and there's not any gunk on it. I had some dried up sealant on there once and it introduce a slow leak.

18. Oct 25, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    I had the cores all the way out to spurt the Stan's sealant juice in. Cleaned them and tightened them with the tool. But the slightest wiggle and I could hear air escaping. Thanks for the links and such, ordered some generic cores and some nicer assemblies.

19. Oct 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    mrtonyd

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    all this talk of presta valves got me confused.

i get the parts right?

PRESTA_VALVE.jpg

SenatorBlutarsky and Pablo8 like this.
  20. Oct 25, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle: