1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Aug 1, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    A DJ and skatepark or pump track would aid in this incredibly. Sometimes depending on turns I'll just push the handlbars to the inside of the turn.
    The reason I think a big bowl is such good turn training is it's constant, there's no lag between turns it's trying to be on it all the time. Quickest place to get lots of practice. Though I'll still be slow on the trails.

Like @honda50r said turning with the bellybutton helps. I saw that tip on a windrock video sometime ago.

2. Aug 1, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    Last time I rode a bike park I had the same issue. It was super dry and loose and I think it was a mix of not great tires and not great form. I probably wasn't high enough on the berm to actually use the advantage it gives and slowly worked down to where the loose dirt and rocks were and ate it. More speed probably would have helped which is super counterintuitive haha. I just don't ride enough big berms like that to get good at it. Rocks and roots I'm fine with, berms and big jumps I could use some practice haha

SH10151 likes this.
  3. Aug 1, 2022 at 5:29 PM
    Mindgame

Mindgame Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22' Offroad limited
    Decals removed
    Went to Mammoth, had a blast!

91455.jpg
    91611.jpg

4. Aug 1, 2022 at 5:45 PM
    y=mx+b

y=mx+b Station Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Blacksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 T4R SR5 v6 4wd
    LBS had a whole wheel + hub assembly in stock. Ended up dropping it off with them because I gotta pack my apartment up here, so everything should be ready by Wednesday!

Dr. Doom Says, backcountryj and Pugga like this.
  5. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:35 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
  6. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    I know EMTBs get some hate here, and they get a ton of hate in my shop as well, but I can't wait to see more of them. Super fun. My wife has decided she wants one as well. I took her out on a demo and she had an absolute blast.

The not a "real" bike and the "trail damage" arguments are lame.

RockiesTaco, Pugga, abacall and 4 others like this.
  7. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:44 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Same tires making contact with the trail, the trail damage argument is because it's making people that would otherwise not be willing to ride due to effort involved get to places they shouldn't be.
    Keep in mind, no one is referring to people who are in need of assistance due to health issues, but those that would never pedal a mountain due to laziness, or unwilling to get into shape to do a pedal or hike a bike.

That's my understanding though.

8. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    Dr. Doom Says

Dr. Doom Says Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    I think this is one of the best looking ebikes. If I was closer to a park that was ebike oriented id probably have one.

[​IMG]

MTB58, barelfly, RockiesTaco and 2 others like this.
  9. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    Dr. Doom Says

Dr. Doom Says Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    You need to ride with better ebikers. :p

Edit: This is not me.
    A05CF495-02C4-4B4F-A454-225685203E4A.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  10. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:57 AM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    I sort of get that. But those that are lazy are still lazy. I know most people that have come to look at EMTBs at the shops I've worked at aren't the type that are only going to ride because of a motor. They already ride and are just looking to either go a bit further, climb a bit better, or just not struggle so much.

Who are we (the traditional bike riders) to say that someone "shouldn't be" riding where they are? I can see if someone is in over their heads but we all know riders are in over their heads on traditional bikes as well. We've all heard stories (or experienced it ourselves) of people riding blacks when they shouldn't or riding too far and being unprepared.

I'm also ok with more people on the trails. It's an awesome sport and I love to see people out there. I suppose others may feel different if the trails are super busy.

I just think that the idea that there's going to be a huge boom of EMTB'ers over extending themselves is a bit overblown.

My wife for instance can keep up with me and climb hills that she couldn't before. That's awesome. She's not lazy. She only rides once or twice a month. I train 12 hours a week. There's going to be a gap in our skills and fitness and an EMTB just bridges that gap.

11. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:17 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    I love the access that people are getting with e-biking. It's a completely valid sport. Unfortunately, land owners are slow to catch on and get rules set aside. One big problem we're having here is throttled bikes (think aventon or rad power or the worst offenders, Sur Ron) are going onto areas they're completely not allowed. Essentially they're commuter or electric dirt bikes going on mountain biking trails. Some of the e-bikers I've run into have had the worst manners around me. But there have also been really well mannered ones. I think e-biking is inviting a lot of people who don't understand the unspoken rules of etiquette and it's kinda a sore spot for a lot of people.

Then there's the current argument of people saying, "well, e-biking isn't allowed on these lands but...there's no enforcement so go do it!" which also isn't helping a ton with things. :/

12. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:20 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    We don't have a say, the parks do. I honestly think the main reason they ban emtb's from certain areas is due to speed they may be traveling at since a lot of trails are multi use.

one way to end it, start handing out tickets that will make people think otherwise, a 50-100 citation isn't going to affect a lot of people, sure it sucks, but doesn't affect them.

Slap them with a 300-500 ticket and suddenly they're in distress and are going to think about their actions next time they want to take that kind of bike to that trail.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  13. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:22 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    Yeah. for sure but....enforcement. These rangers/officers/LEO either don't have the bandwidth to do this or they don't care or they can't get to these people...

edit: all that said, I love that e-biking exists and it's getting better and better. I won't be getting an e-mtb anytime soon but I do have a rad power radrover for commuting and summer-time grocery hauling. I would just love for people to become more friendly and get better acceptance. That'll have to take time and effort.

14. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I agree, best way to do it would be set up cameras in parking lots that way you can get their tag and such. Imagine opening mail one day to a print out of you on your e-dirtbike hopping on MTB trails with a 500 fine attached to it.

DarthPow and ginseng27[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    jjones.yota

jjones.yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Thisssssss

I don’t have an emtb but if they were affordable I probably would. I simply don’t get the time to bike like a lot of others so it’s impossible to keep up “cardio wise” with those who ride 50+ miles a week.

plus if I only get a couple of hours for a ride which is most often the case, then over half of it is spent exhausting myself climbing lol. Then very little time to enjoy the descents.

I say all this as someone who hasn’t run or touched his bike all year…except to move it out of my way…so there’s that…

levie125 and DingleTower[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:34 AM
    GorgeRunner

GorgeRunner Out There

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    The eWeights just arrived at the gym. They lift themselves.

17. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:40 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Guys, I have a question. 2022 YT Izzo Core 3 with Sram Code RSC and Fox 36 Rhythm for $3700, that sound like a decent deal to me, what do you all think?

It's local to me and should fit my needs. Mostly trail riding, I will probably be doing the Shenandoah Mountain either 100M or 100k on it.

18. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:50 AM
    paleh0rse

paleh0rse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB
    My only issue would be that it's slightly over-forked and built up a little above its normal weight class, but that's just opinion. Other than that, it's definitely a very sick bike and well worth that price.

Do you have a shorter/lighter fork you can throw on for the longer epics you plan to ride?

ginseng27 and 113tac[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:54 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    That's a good point, it may work fine though. It's currently at 140MM on the 36. For my local riding it might be a little much but for the race in the national forest I might be happy it has a 36. I'm racing but I'm not gonna be competitive so I think the extra stiffness will be better for the confidence than the weight it will add haha

paleh0rse[QUOTED] and ginseng27 like this.
  20. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:54 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    Hah! That would be hilarious. So, side story. Where I grew up overseas, they can't do speeding tickets by chasing you down. It's impossible in such a tightly packed large city. So they do speed cameras. But they TELL you where the speed cameras are. There are literally signs on the side that say, "speed camera, 500m" and then "100m" or whatever. And you can see the cameras. Very obviously. AND.....EVERY GPS system knows exactly where the cameras are and the system warns you. So it's commonplace to speed like crazy on the highways and then all of a sudden slow down for the camera, and then speed right back up. I was visiting once and was driving my mom's car to the airport. And I was running late. drove like 130-150 mph consistently...until we hit the speed cameras. and then back up to speed to get to the airport asap. Looking back, a bit scary. but at the time, fun. Car just shrugged at me and was like, "want to do more?". lol.

RockiesTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top