1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Oct 28, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yeah, not a great first bike for a first go! So many curves and small pieces! I still need to do the rear triangle, not really looking forward to it, but it'll be a fight for another day.

113tac[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 28, 2022 at 8:44 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    takes a lot of patience. you've got it down to frame though. it is MUCH easier in your situation compared to a full build. i've taken upwards of 4 or 5 hours before because of random curves and a full build requring some weird maneuvering. good luck! lots of patience, use a blow dryer or heat gun on low and lots of spray!

113tac likes this.
  3. Oct 28, 2022 at 8:46 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    I don't think any bike is a good time haha. Hardtails are slightly easier since there is no shock but it's still a pain haha. Like @ginseng27 said lots of spray and a good squeegee is helpful haha. Did you order the kit? I felt like the squeegee ridewrap provided worked pretty well.

4. Oct 28, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Was about to say the same haha.

Pugga, 113tac[QUOTED] and ginseng27 like this.
  5. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:00 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    yeahhh I would charge so much money to do it if I had a bike shop haha. I didn't do my entire ripley, just the downtube and where the framebag rubs.

backcountryj[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:01 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    On a separate note. There is a bike shop in town that is for sale...I would be lying if I said I haven't considered it. The whole inventory is for sale. The cool part is that its a bike and coffee shop which happen to be two of my favorite things. I know they have a solid coffee shop setup. Their supply of bikes isn't that great though.

Anyone ever own a shop? haha

7. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    I went with Invisaframe. Yes, very frustrating process. It’s a 3 hour tor at best, more like 4.

I see you went with the glossy look. I also went with glossy because my frame original finish is glossy. Your frame original finish is a satin finish, does Ride Wrap offer options of finish? Invisaframe does.

8. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yeah, I did the full kit. I made 3 batches of spray with varying amounts of the 'stuff'. I found the more diluted spray worked best. I couldn't get the edges to stick with the higher diluted stuff.

9. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:09 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yes, you can choose matte or gloss from Ride Wrap. They show a few options of what happens when you put gloss over matte and that's the option I went for. I'm happy since it really brings out the dark red color of the frame.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Dirtjunkie[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    From the bike shop owners I've talked to, its a great way to burn a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing.

Also keep in mind that the US economy is bearish right now, dare I even say recessionary, so the discretionary spending on higher ticket items like bikes is definitely softening, mixed with the fact that its a longer term asset, so you really have to have a stellar service dept to make up the difference.

Not saying you couldn't do it, but I'd prob lean more into the coffee side than the bike side and go sole-subject.

113tac[QUOTED] and backcountryj like this.
  11. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:30 AM
    Dr. Doom Says

Dr. Doom Says Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    I have a minimalist kit I need to install.

I've found that on the bigger sections - establishing a long middle strip and leaving it for a couple mints before finishing the application helps. I think its in the instructions too, but who reads those.

Pugga likes this.
  12. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:32 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    a shop near me (Twisted Spokes) that also roasted/brewed coffee and kombucha recently (end of september) closed their location and moved in with another company (SRM) and is strictly doing their coffee/kombucha/chews/CBD stuff. They didn't really do much services, was a very tiny show room (maybe twice the size of my cubicle at work), had an odd selection of parts, and mostly bike decorations/art pieces/jewelry. I kinda got the vibe that they wanted bike parts more for personal use/discounted product than to sell things.

idk if its related, but sounds similar?

13. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:37 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I've heard the saying that the only way to be a rich bike shop owner is to get rich first.

s4nsc likes this.
  14. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:59 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    yeah the economy plays into my idea too. The only way I could afford it is likely with some sort of loan unless the current owner was cool with some seller financing. There are currently 2 shops, one is closing and this one is for sale. The coffee part is a big attraction for me. The shop should in theory do well for service. It is less than a mile from the WOD (paved multi use trail) and we are around hundreds of miles of gravel roads in all directions. In my opinion, the shop had not great product choices and super weird hours. They are open from like 11-4 like tuesday through saturday which I found to be super weird hours, especially for our area where most cyclists spending a lot of money have day jobs.

A new skills/bike park also just opened like a week ago that was mostly funded by donation but had support from the town council. Right now it seems like they are cool with bikes but that could definitely change after elections this year, like the entire town government is up for election.

We have a couple coffee shops, one starbucks, one dunkin donuts, and one small coffee shop that also went through a sale recently. I would 100% lean into coffee, eventually I would add a roaster but there are a couple local coffee companies that I am big fans of that maybe I'd be able to get wholesale from. We also need more breakfast food options around here so I'd lean into that if possible too.

My main concerns are financing, bike related inventory, and overall time, I would probably need to leave my day job to do it haha.
    This shop definitely sounds similar. Idk what their deal was honestly. The guys that worked there were always nice but it was always only 1 guy there and they always seemed super bored haha.
    Yeahhh I'm not rich so I'd probably stay that way haha.

15. Oct 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    yea the few times i went to the shop near me, the guy was mostly in the back doing coffee stuff.

on a note about whole sale coffee, a friend has a food prep business in KY/TN and was telling me the cost/process to get approved for wholesale was ridiculous. they opted to "rent" space (a fridge type deal) and sell/pickup out of there. i guess the locations they do this at are cool with it. its mostly gyms around a military base. could be an option if you go through with it

levie125 likes this.
  16. Oct 28, 2022 at 10:12 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Where in VA is it located? I have a few friends that started a coffee business from scratch in old town Fredericksburg after college I might be able to put you in touch with to learn from if you aren't gonna be competitors.

Sounds like it could be a good and viable location if you made good inventory choices, and catered to the locale (similar to The Hub in Pisgah) having a pub attached and often food trucks.

paleh0rse and 113tac[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Oct 28, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I might need to look into that. I know some stuff is pretty straight forward, others not so much. It probably depends on if I would sell it as a product or brewed. Also food safety laws will be interesting. Like in Maine you don’t even need a food license or inspections if your town/county says it okay. I’ll need to look into Virginia rules haha.

18. Oct 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Im in purcellville. Up near leesburg. I think Fredericksburg is like 1.5 hours last time I drove there. Definitely wouldn’t be direct competitors.

I’m very interested in this shop. The location is solid with plenty of people coming from out of town to ride in this area. Plus during the summer there are events like every other weekend in town. I’m like super specific about what I like so I think the mid to higher end cyclist I’d have covered. I would need to think more about good budget and the needs of a parent just jumping in to buy their kids a helmet. Assuming inventory and those connections are okay to come by. I’ve been talking to the trail liaison around for the area and I need to talk to the local shimano rep for something separate so I may need to reach out to him haha.

19. Oct 28, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    geoyota760

geoyota760 Allergic to pavement

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    5.29 Nitros Bilstein ICON Kansei BFG
  20. Oct 28, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    Kenstogie

Kenstogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    19 SR 2.7 4x4
    Got my new bike... don't dig the integrated stem handlebar nor the pedals or the seat or the grips but it goes... already swapped the seat and grips and ordered a aluminum stem and cf bar. Mostly xt stuff....Should be dialed in then. Anyone know what those little rubber plugs cover?? Maybe a mount spot for luggage??

20221028_121540.jpg
    20221028_152023.jpg

jneutron and paleh0rse like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top