1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Dec 15, 2022 at 4:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I did see that on Youtube. I may have to go that route, but my immediate issue is I don't have a tube for the tires. The bike shipped to me tubeless and tubes weren't included. Might be time to buy one since it's never a bad idea to have one on hand regardless.

gdb85[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2022 at 4:56 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yes, that was how I was able to get the old tires to seat back on the bead. These new tires don't seem to want to pop though. I may have to use the tube method as a last resort, just didn't have one on hand.

3. Dec 15, 2022 at 5:02 AM
    abacall

abacall Life's too short

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    UT
    Vehicle:
    2020 VooDoo DCSB OR
    You'll love the Hayes. Some of the best feeling brakes, no doubt. The lever feel is unparalleled.
    Only thing they could improve on is the free-stroke. Other than that, it's absolutely brilliant.

whitedlite[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 15, 2022 at 5:17 AM
    Wadar

Wadar Not Well Know, But Shows Up From Time to Time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Western Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 XC TRD-OR, & ‘20 DCSB TRD-OR
    A few.
    Anybody ever mix sealant flavors? Stan’s & Orange? I can’t remember what’s in my rear tire on my Troy, and it needs a refresh. I have a stockpile of Stan’s, I figure I should use up what I’ve got.

113tac likes this.
  5. Dec 15, 2022 at 5:29 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    send it.

honda50r and Wadar[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Dec 15, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    All fun and games until the tire explodes and you look like Stormy Daniels after...nevermind

7. Dec 15, 2022 at 6:06 AM
    flipnidaho

flipnidaho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    If you decide to use starter/lighter fluid to bead that sucker, take a video. Make sure someone else lights it for you. Just kidding of course. It sounds like you may have to run a tube for a few days so the tire takes the shape. I've had the same issue in the past (non-fat tires) with new tires that have folding/kevlar beads.

8. Dec 15, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    I have PTSD from that exact scenario. Mounted a new tire on the rim, got the bead to pop in, deflated to put the sealant in through the valve stem and in that process, the bead unseated in a small section. Got my sealant in and figured I would give it a blast of air to reseat the bead while filling it up as well.

Got that gunshot pop and the tire decided to blow off the rim - I got Stans all over everything including myself. The worst part was trying to get it off my arms and it hardened up between all the hairs.

Gunshot-6A[OP] and Pugga like this.
  9. Dec 15, 2022 at 6:41 AM
    neatoneto

neatoneto Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB

10. Dec 15, 2022 at 7:34 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    uh dont do that. i personally havent but had heard many bad stories.

mountain bike radio had like a 30 min story about when they did it. they didn't even mix on purpose, just left a little and didnt clean it out good enough. the tire blew off the wheel late at night.

if you do, can you setup like a time lapse video on it or something? just for the first night? im curious if it is really a problem

11. Dec 15, 2022 at 7:47 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Same. Wife came running out of the house screaming lol

Gunshot-6A[OP] likes this.
  12. Dec 15, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    Compressor with a high flow attachment. there is a good one that kinda looks liek this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Inflator-Gun/50126453?store_code=2296 that they use as a last resort. take otu the core, blast it with this and the thing all good to go. I don't have a compressor (about time i buy one) but I have something called an "airshot". Thing works to seat my gravel tires that always get unseated. Good luck!

They'll tell you don't do it. I know one person who mixes different sealants. not sure which brands. He swears by it. I wouldn't personally do it because chemistry's get all sorts of weird. and I didn't enjoy my chemistry classes anyways. I'd be curious to see it though. Maybe worth a youtube video on sealant mixing. first outside of tire to see if there's some sort of adverse reaciton and then inside a tire.

LOL. I laughed.

13. Dec 15, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That attachment is exactly what I was using. I may need to go the tube route to set one bead, then pull it and go tubeless.

14. Dec 15, 2022 at 8:55 AM
    perlhammer

perlhammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Haven't seated any fatbike tires in a while, but for my 'normal' sized tubeless, I always use a tube to seat one bead, then compressed air for the other.

15. Dec 15, 2022 at 9:01 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Got this one as a housewarming present to myself. HIGHLY recommend. Used to be $399 pre-COVID, but easily seats beads, etc for bikes, but also potent enough to blow out sprinkler lines, so it breaks even quick.

upload_2022-12-15_10-0-41.jpg

16. Dec 15, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This one is frustrating the hell out of me. I normally don't have any issues seating beads. On my normal sized tires, I got them to seat with the floor pump. The other fat tires I could get them to catch and go with the compressor. I pulled them off to put studded tires on but I can't get the studded tires to catch. The bead seems to fold under and isn't catching air enough to push the bead out. Tried a ratchet strap, the compressor running full tilt, open nozzle and no valve core, still can't get it to catch. I ordered a tube today so I'll try that approach. Set them with the tube, break one side down and then go tubeless. Hopefully I can successfully get a single side to seat, otherwise there may be a set of tires up for sale...

17. Dec 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Would now be a good time to reiterate how much I've grown to dislike tubeless?
    I'm done w/ tubeless on road and gravel bikes. It's not worth the aggravation and I've had plenty of screws penetrate the tire that wouldn't seal. I'm much happier popping a new tube in if I get a flat.
    On mountain bikes, yea...there's still a slight advantage. But these stories remind me of why I don't bother. I couldn't get the front tire to seat tubeless so I'm running that tubed and the rear is still tubeless for now.
    I don't know if the tolerances changed over the years or what, but I used to be able to seat them w/ a floor pump. Then I got a compressor to make life easier and it worked for a little while but I'm now having issues w/ a lot of tire/rim combos.

Pugga likes this.
  18. Dec 15, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    Wadar

Wadar Not Well Know, But Shows Up From Time to Time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Western Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 XC TRD-OR, & ‘20 DCSB TRD-OR
    A few.
    Good to know. I store my bikes in my living room, the last thing I want to do is wake up in the middle of the night to a bang. Having to clean up sealant spatter doesn’t sound like a lot of fun either.

When I was in my teens I tried to make watermelon hooch. I added watermelon, yeast, and sugar, then sealed it up in a couple Carlo Rossi jug’s. :stirthepot: I was awoken in the middle of the night to one of the jug’s exploding. There was broken glass, and a foul smelling watermelon based slime scattered all over. :eek:Then I had to deal with my dad “WHAT THE F#*K IS GOING ON IN HERE?!?” As he came through my door. Almost instantly the odor hit him and I watched him turn green. :puke: Long story short, I learned a valuable lesson in carpet cleaning and home brewing.

I don’t need a repeat of that lesson. :anonymous:

chiefcrunchy, jubei, RtacomaN and 6 others like this.
  19. Dec 15, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    s4nsc

s4nsc The chicken stays…

Member:
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2023 GMC Canyon AT4X
    I will preface this with the same thing I tell the boss (aka wife), you can find what ever you want to find on the internet.

I have read that Stans and Orange Seal are compatible. Don't remember where I read that but I did find it. Both say not to mix on their individual websites but supposedly they are chemically compatible. I was looking because the shop couldn't remember what they put in my tires when I bought my bike. They thought it was MucOff but said it would have been pink. It was definitely not pink so they figured it was Stans. I drained the old stuff out, wasn't much left anyway and added Orange Seal without really cleaning. No explosions yet and this was almost a year ago.

YMMV

Wadar likes this.
  20. Dec 15, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    perlhammer

perlhammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think it depends a lot on where you live. When I was in the northeast, I never really saw a need for tubeless in my gravel bikes because I just didn't get a lot of flats. Now that I'm in SoCal with all sorts of sharp rocks and thorns and other sharp bits, I couldn't imagine running tubes.

Products Discussed in

To Top