1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Aug 20, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Adirondack Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR
    Glad I picked up new gear last year. I mostly do resort uphill first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed that they continue to allow that this year, and it doesn't explode in popularity and cause them to make changes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    ginseng27 and 113tac like this.
  2. Aug 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    The backcountry already exploded at the end of last season around here. There were numerous stupid skier triggered slides after the resorts closed down due to inexperienced people out there. I'm hoping I don't have to get up even earlier to beat crowds for dawn patrol.

ginseng27 likes this.
  3. Aug 20, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    ew. cause running is ew.

for a rear the aggressor is pretty good. So is the DHR-2. If you liked the Aggressor, stick with it with DD. I like the dhr-2 for the rear with exo+ at the very least. Assegai is super meaty and can really grip but...much rather have that up front.

hopefully not! Lucky I got all my backcountry gear out of the way last year!

What are the reach numbers and seat tube lengths? if you went a size up, you might have to get a shorter dropper post to accomodate. HOWEVER, it'll be super stable on the downhills in comparison. the smaller size will be more nimble and you could fit on it pretty good. If your reach is gonna be wonky, i'd go with the shorter reach (smaller size). It's easier to accommodate to a smaller size than it is on a larger size. I'm 5'10" with about a 32/31" true inseam and I fall into the same situation as you. I'm right in between sizes for almost every brand. My YT says I'm a Large but I like just barely fit on it. I have my 150 mm dropper all the way slammed and the reach is just perfect with my handlebar sweep. Any longer and I would hate life. My Evil says I'm a Medium but I haven't built it yet so IDK if I'll fit on it just perfectly or not. I'd imagine so becuase I was squarely in the middle of their medium sizing.

Yeah, I remember most of last year's avy's. Gotta respect that terrain. I'm more of an afternoon rider. Can't bring myself to wake up for a dawn patrol even though I would love to. :/ Let's get some turns in this winter dude!

4. Aug 20, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    DarthPow

DarthPow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4

Yea that's about what I'm anticipating. Really interesting to see how people are going to react to the lodges being closed to dining in. I'm hoping the fact that the indoor spaces being closed will keep many people away. A lot of parents and families are not going to want to go "skiing" if they can't sit inside the warm lodge at all.

5. Aug 20, 2020 at 8:39 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Blows my mind how many folks pay $105 for an Alta day pass, ski for an hour, sit in the lodge for 4, hit a run for 30 mins and call it a day.

abacall, 113tac and DarthPow[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Aug 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    DarthPow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Same thing at any mountain really. That's what a lot of people consider skiing. A Few runs a day, and then sit in the lodge buying drinks and food.

Went to whistler a few years ago, and my friend's wife, "went skiing", she took one run and then sat in the lodge every day for three days. My other friend looked at her and the end of the third day, and asked, "hey instead of taking one run each day for three days, wouldn't it have been cheaper to take 3 runs in one day?" I couldn't help but crack the fuck up and laugh.

7. Aug 20, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Savage!

I'm the guy pulling PBRs and pocket bacon out of his ski jacket and into my very frosty mouth hole. No friends, no bathroom breaks, no excuses

IMG_20180318_133909_197.jpg

levie125, abacall, Thezinz and 6 others like this.
  8. Aug 20, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Same, we don't have anything that great for snowy mountains here in the Southeast, but when I go I'm there from open to close getting my moneys worth lol.

Breaking my teeth chewing a protein bar on the lift.

levie125 likes this.
  9. Aug 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    DarthPow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    yup. Same here. My wife and I get there early (depending on how much we drank the night before lol) and stay (usually) until close. Eat a pocket sandwich and whiskey for calories, and end the day with apres beer. Anyone who can't keep up gets left behind, and found later at the bar or the cabin lol.

You sound like someone I should ski with. Maybe a Utah ski trip is in order this season. Or maybe a Kirkwood trip for you :D

10. Aug 20, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    We need to avenge your wife's bummer trip from last winter first!

at Alta, if you get there early, you can back the tailgate up to the run. Ski-by beer restocks on the way to the lift and a comfy chair waiting for canyon traffic to die down is so worth it. Or stop at Brighton and bring the fire pit :rofl:

20170401_115212.jpg

20170401_120515.jpg

BajaAsh, levie125, abacall and 5 others like this.
  11. Aug 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    DarthPow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Yea man. I'm down. I can drive there in a day, right? It'll be a long day, but I'm sure I can do it.

12. Aug 20, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    Bootselectric

Bootselectric Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stirling
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner (RIP) 2013 TRD Sport (DCSB-BRM)
    I really appreciate your input Genseg! As to your question, the reach for the 19.5” is 42.8cm and for the 21.5”, 44.2cm.
    The seat tube length is 47cm for the 19.5” and 52.1cm for the 21.5.
    and a 133mm dropper post for each.
    Thoughts?

13. Aug 20, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    fitment is hard to get sometimes. You really could go either way. I THINK you'd fit better on the L. the 2cm of reach difference is significant but it comes with a 31mm stem. If the reach isn't to your liking, you could get a 50mm stem. (the longer stem will make it less twitch though. need more steerin ginput) or you can fiddle with handlebar sweep. the whopping 5cm of seat tube length is very significant. You could put a larger dropper post on the L if you so desired. That said. botht he L and XL come with the same travel dropper.

Obviously the best thing to do is to go try both bikes. The reach differences could be significant enough for you to want one or the other. Like the saying goes, a mm on the bike is a meter on the trail. So that 2cm could be significant. My vote from a personal standpoint, is to go XL if you can. It'll be much more stable on the down's. but if you're not worried about the downhills, you'll be perfectly happy on the L. I know what numbers fit better for me but that's also for me and from trying things out. :)

I know it's not a straight answer. but hopefully it helps. I'm sure other folks here would have other thoughts and opinions.

113tac and Bootselectric[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Aug 20, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Bootselectric

Bootselectric Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stirling
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner (RIP) 2013 TRD Sport (DCSB-BRM)
    Given that my situation is a completely subjective one, your input has been solid gold, thanks for your time and thorough input!

ginseng27[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    What about on the skin track?
    1Poi_FoVuRKBOExdDYVpsjtxZNgb48tJ_U2dVDE4_8d3058e0f2b5940f3de9649c6b170d3b9abbd752.jpg

16. Aug 20, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    MattJakobs

MattJakobs Everything but a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Stumpy isn't a bad bike by any means. I've heard a lot more people are happier with the ST (short travel) vs. full on stumpy.
    Have you considered a 29er? Depending on riding type and style, a 29er may fit you better. Tends to be faster, easier to roll over things with, but some say less snappy/agile. Guessing your diamond back is a 26" wheel so it may feel a little teeter totter for you but definitely give it a go if possible.

For that price range, I'd check out some Giants. They seem to throw a little bit nicer parts at the bike - especially in the sub $3k range. But again, stocking issues.

17. Aug 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    chetterthecat

chetterthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OR
    Vehicle:
    spurt w drifter
  18. Aug 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    it’s always been that way. I’m 58 and started alpine downhill skiing at age 9. I grew up in Colorado, nuff said there as far as time on the mountain. My ski days always consist of a 6-8 hour day of skiing. Stop at an upper lodge for food and keep going. I’ve had numerous experiences with groups with a high percent skiing a couple of runs and then in the lodge the rest of the day. Unfortunately the price of a ticket these day’s turns me off of the sport. Glad I ripped it up weekly for 30 some years before I stopped the weekly trips. I still go but no way how I used to weekly. I feel sorry for those entering the sport today on a regular income.

These prices are ridiculous: http://getoutskiing.com/colorado/lift-tickets/

19. Aug 20, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    DarthPow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Yea day pass tickets are crazy. but its done like that intentionally. they want you to compare the day pass with the season pass, and think, "the season pass is worth it if I go 3 days." Then you buy the season pass, and you're locked into their ecosystem. It's got it's upsides. If you're an avid skier and want to travel, and ski more than 3-4 days a season, the season pass is great. Prior to Epic and Ikon, a season pass to a local mountain (for me it was Mammoth), was upwards of $1000. But you're right, the cost these days for someone new to the sport is a huge barrier, $600+ (at least), or a one daily pass, plus the cost of equipment rentals, and clothes, etc, is practically a non-starter for anyone on a regular, average, median income.

mtskibum16 and Gunshot-6A[OP] like this.
  20. Aug 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    I also lived in San Diego for many years. Skied Snow Summit and Big Bear a lot, Mammoth on occasion. It’s just too expensive now, unless of course you have the disposable means. I grew up always owning my own equipment. These days unless you ski several times a season it’s not with it. And the rentals, gas, food, lodging and the outrageous ticket prices. It’s a rich mans sport now.

DarthPow[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top