1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Let me know if you get a reply.
    My Friday riding may be weather pending.
    I reached out to Kanuga on Instagram and immediate reply. I’ll reach out again Thursday mid day since I’m going somewhere for the night and riding that next morning.

If kanuga is closed I imagine Bailey’s is too. I may just do a 12-20 mile loop in Pisgah or something, or I could go through knoxville and do a Friday Windrock ride. Not a fan of first bike park day being alone, but windrock is always packed so I could make a riding buddy.

I brought all my battery accessories to the office today to charge.

Gopro w/2 batteries, awesome HF handheld light, nightrider bike lights, battery pack for phone and such, AXS.

Thinking about going to get my brothers yamaha suitcase generator and borrowing a heater lol.

@SummitBound, I just edit this.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    SummitBound[QUOTED] and levie125 like this.
  2. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Anything can be a good deal for the right price! lol

mrtonyd[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    places sell the day theyre listed, for well over asking price. the price range im looking at is in the most demand. full cash offers are on the table from buyers. investors are looking to buy up to rent.

my parents sold their house over on powers/barnes and that took longer than they were expecting. so i guess its all location

levie125[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    SummitBound

SummitBound Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R OR
    Since passes are sold either only for Saturday or only for Sunday, I asked what happens if we buy a pass for Saturday or for Sunday and if it would apply for the other day if they stay closed for a day.

"Yes, your pass will follow you if we have to push operations from one day to the next. I will get in touch with you about any changes in the schedule by email.

Weather is not looking great this week. While we are in the winter season, it (the weather of the preceding week) heavily affects weekend operations. Should you want to check out the 10-day forecast you will see we are expecting snow and freezing overnights Wednesday night into Thursday."

5. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    levie125

levie125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD
    I wouldn't worry about it once you are approved. If it takes more than a couple days to sell a house here then it is priced too high. I can't blame people for trying to capitalize on their investment. I wouldn't blame you on buying a fixer upper. That is going to be the best way to insulate yourself if the bubble pops anytime soon.

mrtonyd[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Get that Jake from State Farm look for rippin the trails next season! :rofl:

upload_2021-1-26_9-54-30.jpg

upload_2021-1-26_9-54-42.jpg

Dash7, E-Paz 732NJ, iriddler and 9 others like this.
  7. Jan 26, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    DarthPow

DarthPow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I like that color on the pants. I've been really into khaki/olive/drab shades lately. I'm hoping I don't turn into some Tacti-cool looking mofo.

8. Jan 26, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    R4D4G4ST

R4D4G4ST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 LR TRD PRO MT
    Maxxis Militia
    The problem is, very few of the people I encounter ride them responsibly. The amount of poaching I see being done by Laz-E-Bikes is obscene. Not just accessing trail networks marked specifically as "no eBikes" but I see them going off trail, through the brush, and even into designated Wilderness areas by following deer trails. This isn't just the occasional thing, but anymore, every ride, I see an Laz-E-Bike participating in some sort of prohibited behavior. As someone who fought hard for access in the '90s, I find this distressing.

And because riders with less skill/fitness can now access a lot of the more technical, harder to access trails, you now have low-skill riders skidding, dragging the rear tire down trails, etc. Some of my favorite technical trails have been turned into rutted ditches of erosion thanks to Fred's on Laz-E-Bikes.

I have grown to increasingly loathe eBikes. Not because of the bikes themselves, but the riders who are drawn to them. IMHO, eBikes are great for communing or in controlled environments (like access to State/National Parks). But overall, I hate that eMTB has become a thing.

9. Jan 26, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    I'd agree with you. I'm in a similar stance about e-bike. They allow folks who can't get out there, get out there. If you watched TGR's latest film accomplice, they have a segment on paul basagoitia (former pro rider who broke his back riding red bull rampage back in 2015) who can barely even walk. He hopped onto an e-bike and found his love for bikes all over again and can ride again. He's a perfect example of folks who coudl use an e-bike. Another example would be older folks who want to ride with their kids who are just way faster uphill. Park City's laws are, no one on e-bikes on PC trails unless you've got a medical condition with a doctor's note or you're over 65 years old. Which is all fine with me. However, most of my run-ins with bad behavior on the trails has been with e-bikers who just don't understand trail etiquette and proper trail usage.

With this increase of trail usage and interest in mountain biking (e-bike and non e-bike alike), there needs be an equal rise in etiquette and safety education, which I don't feel like is happening. I would love to see bike shops start to push out pamphlets or something provided by the manufacturers about the subject. I think for now, if you run into an e-biker who's being an asshole, kindly explain to them what proper behavior is (don't be an asshole to them). Maybe even talk with the local trail associations about better signage. If you're on an e-bike, don't be an asshole and remember that you have an extra responsibility to be nicer on the trails.

just my 2 cents.

correction: PC age is 65. not 55. lol. oops.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  10. Jan 26, 2021 at 9:16 AM
    Whiskey21

Whiskey21 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DBLCB LB MGM
    Don’t forget to go walk through Target before your ride to get water and stuff.

11. Jan 26, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    R4D4G4ST

R4D4G4ST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 LR TRD PRO MT
    Maxxis Militia
    Yeah, seriously, the number of close calls I have now with eBikes climbing trails at 20+mph, faster than I'd feel comfortable descending them.... And really? Do we need more people on the already crowded trails?

Also, in PC is over 65 and you need a license https://www.parkcity.org/departments/trails-open-space/e-bikes-on-single-track-trails

12. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    Lol. yeah. 65. not 55. i always confuse the two numbers on their trails. I don't worry about the age for e-biking because...wel...i'm not that old and i dont' ride e-bikes so it's not on my mind all the time. :Shrug: i'll fix the original post. haha.

levie125 likes this.
  13. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    True, I don’t know what I was thinking.:goingcrazy:

14. Jan 26, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I called and spoke to I assume is the owner. They quit doing rainchecks during Covid.

Buy the pass, if park closes they refund, if it's open and you don't show no refund.
    Shuttle runs full time of park, so 11-5, check in is as early as 10:30, I guess if they expect to be super busy.
    So I'm thinking we get together Thursday mid day and make a decision to buy or not, if weather looks to have parks closed we could just trail ride I guess.

levie125 and SummitBound[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Jan 26, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    SummitBound

SummitBound Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R OR
    Sounds good to me!

whitedlite[QUOTED] and levie125 like this.
  16. Jan 26, 2021 at 1:40 PM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    I agree with the frustration being expressed here as it's very similar to my frustrations over the years in many other outdoor pursuits over the years (backcountry skiing, dispersed camping, rock climbing, fly fishing, etc). I try to keep another view point in mind as well...

The more people that get outside and embrace these activities, the more support we get to preserve wild areas, update/build better trail systems, etc. There's tons of development going on around SLC; corner canyon, EaMo, Avenues foothills are all getting new activity specific trails put in right now. The amount of support for Utah Avy is tremendous these days, and the forecasting and resources that group is putting out there is really amazing. There are also great new off-roading apps/maps being developed with the aim of supporting proper use of those trail/road systems.

I know those one on one interactions can be frustrating, and we should absolutely try to educate people, but also just remember the bigger picture. These are all public spaces that we're using (or private spaces that allow public use) and the more people that appreciate them, the more support we get to preserve them. Just my attempt at putting a positive spin on these situations over the years...

17. Jan 26, 2021 at 1:50 PM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.

You're absolutely correct. We have seen an explosion in support for utavy and trails associations. I would love to see more and more for sure. (I dont' feel like we've grown in support proprotionate to the explosion of interest in activities). But you're absolutely right. the more people, the more support. Maybe the support for associations/trails..and the education will come through in a little bit. Just lagging behind the increase in use. :shrug:

18. Jan 26, 2021 at 2:02 PM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I think most don't like the surge because it makes MTB not the "hip" thing to do anymore. Some people gawk and look down on newcomers.

People need to realize though frustrating not being able to get the bike you want these record sales may make for quicker advancements in technology since companies probably made record high profit this year. Sales are good, people buying latest and greatest are good. People investing money into the sport is good.

The complaints on new people not knowing what to do and being pissed at them without knowing if anyone has taken the time to educate them isn't fair, for all we know they may have reached out and the person they reached out to didn't care to help them.

19. Jan 26, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    DarthPow

DarthPow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    my experience is that most people are courteous and willing to learn, no matter what activity they are picking up. This is true in mountain biking, but the increased accessibility from e-bikes has increased the sheer number of people in the minority that aren't courteous coming into the sport. Unfortunately these are the loud and apparent minority, the proverbial bad apples that ruin the bunch.

whitedlite, 113tac and ginseng27 like this.
  20. Jan 26, 2021 at 2:22 PM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    yeah... "loudest minority", "proverbial bad apples", "apparent minority", etc. loudest voices getting the most attention.

DarthPow[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top