1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Mar 19, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Ordered a Feedback Sports Stand.

Reasoning, they support the sport even if outsourcing.
    Too hard to find anyone who doesn't outsource.

BTW, I'll probably go RideGG on next bike when they go carbon rear on the Gnarvana.
    I think it's cool that they're made in house in Co. Honestly if I could buy the bike fly out there and get it enjoy the week that'd be the coolest vacation.

bassmusic, honda50r, Cnickgo and 3 others like this.
  2. Mar 19, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Good call on the feedback spots stand. That's what I have and it's super good quality and folds down pretty compact. I have the sport-elite one. or whatever you call it. With the quick release clamp

3. Mar 19, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I’m excited to not flip bikes over when working on them lol.

I’ve been ordering from this company in CA on a few different things trying to help actual bike companies instead of REI and such. Plus no tax for me and free shipping this way.

bikebling.com

EE56C85A-0F91-4514-B3AC-5C4A0E7547BE.jpg

4. Mar 20, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    flipnidaho

flipnidaho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    This is what I use: https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/pro-elite-repair-stand/

I've had the Park stands before (still have them actually). The Feedback sports are better for the home mechanic. FYI- I'm a bike tool whore and while a number of my tools are Park, i've begun replacing them with better quality tools made by Abbey or Wera.

backcountryj and 113tac like this.
  5. Mar 20, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    So you have the Pro Elite model? My brother in law has that one. I borrowed it and loved it. I then went and bought the next model down and saved $100 bucks, the Sport Mechanic. They make great stands for sure.

C6BFD701-0B65-44AF-A974-E705DEC25444.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    113tac likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Good on you! Buy with purpose! The world is drifting towards an Amazon economy...

whitedlite[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 20, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    I was there for their grand opening in 2008’ish when I lived in San Diego.

whitedlite[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    bassmusic

bassmusic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spicoli
    Being on the east coast, I cringe when I have to order from CA - only because it takes so damn long to get here. I don't mind REI - they're a decent company I think. Amazon to me is the root of all evil because they crush everyone who has brick and mortar.

My buddy runs a skate shop in Milwaukee and the stories of kids coming in, looking at it, then going home and ordering online are all too familiar. Does nothing for him, and hurts the community long term.

I've tried to cancel my Amazon account but during this damn lockdown BS, there's just some things I can't get anywhere else. I'll use Amazon to shop for the item, then buy it somewhere else online.

9. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    REI supports Sierra Club who wants to kick mountain bikes off trails.

Dirtjunkie likes this.
  10. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:23 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    They also support the MORE which builds trails on the mid Atlantic. I’d be curious to see what the local chain bike shop vs small shop vs REI breakdown of donations to cycling non-profits is like.

11. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    bassmusic

Member:
    First Name:
    Spicoli
    The Sierra Club is nuts.

The problem is, you can't find a morally ethically pure company - no matter how hard you try, if you shoot everything through a political prism you won't be able to shop anywhere. I shop where I get good service and if I can help my local shop owner, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

Millions of people say "Shop local" and still have Amazon accounts. I'm guilty too, BUT I do it as little as possible.

Bezos always claims there's competition to Amazon and points to Walmart. Walmart is hardly on Amazon's level when it comes to online retail.

backcountryj, 113tac and jjones.yota like this.
  12. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    jjones.yota

jjones.yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    A lot of brick and mortar stores sell ON Amazon.

a lot of small stores sell ON Amazon.

a lot of stores only exist because OF Amazon.

So before you all keep bashing Amazon and any of its customers, think a little.

I support Amazon because they actually have great customer service. If I find a small business competitive on price, same or better customer service, and not available on Amazon then I’ll go to them.

get off your high horses lol. Ain’t nobody gonna spend twice their money all the time to support small business, just not feasible.

13. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    neatoneto

neatoneto Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB
    levie125[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    neatoneto

neatoneto Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I'm also on the anti-Amazon bandwagon but this is correct. I just wish they were more vocal about supporting small businesses.

jjones.yota[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    bassmusic

Member:
    First Name:
    Spicoli
    I honestly don't think you're saving 50% on most items by using Amazon. Maybe on some things. And yes a lot of "brick and mortar" supposedly sell on Amazon. We acknowledge the advantages of Amazon, but they're doing more harm than good. How big should we allow Amazon to get? They own Whole Foods, they do cloud and digital services - maybe in your mind we should let Amazon take over more industries?

I think you also forget that the algorithms Amazon use are pitted against these "brick and mortar" sellers.

Amazon's dominance makes the 90s Microsoft Antitrust case look like a joke by comparison - I'm not pro regulation for the most part but when does Amazon cross the line?

16. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    jjones.yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    I feel like they are. I can sort by small business, they have small business day, and they don’t force their own Amazon products on me and allow the small business items to show up just as frequently.

17. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:35 AM
    bassmusic

Member:
    First Name:
    Spicoli

Do we think Amazon is done expanding into diff industries? I'm old enough to remember when Amazon was JUST BOOKS.

How long before Amazon sells cars like Carmax aka Best Buy?

Talk to small business owners some time is my advice to pro Amazon people. Ask them if they feel harmed by Amazon.

Next time you're in your local bike store, ask them how their accessory sales are. Or your local ACE hardware. I personally like the personal in person service. That's just me. I also don't like that if I don't have PRIME, I buy an item, Amazon sits on my money for 3 or 4 days, then ships the item. I remember before PRIME - you'd order from Amazon and it would ship the same day.

18. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    jjones.yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    No idea, and not my place to decide. I gave you my reasons for supporting them.

until someone can give me reasons to not support them that beat my reasons TO, I’ll continue to.

Take handup for example. They’ve got some stuff on Amazon. But it’s the same price, so why would I shop on Amazon? Then I’d pick the store.

but for a bike stand, I can get one really cheap on Amazon. Really really cheap. And it serve 99% of the same purpose a 200$+ serves. But I can’t find a really really cheap one elsewhere that does that. So you’re gonna say I’m a bad person for saving over 100$+? What if I spent that 100$+ at my local bike shop who doesn’t sell bike stands but instead they sell some parts I need immediately?

savings helps everyone. Amazon, small businesses. That’s just fact.

you could do the research on how much Amazon gives back, gives away, and whatever else. I bet it’s a pretty good number.

19. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    bassmusic

Member:
    First Name:
    Spicoli
    This is false - there were investigations that proved the alogrithms were pitted against the small business sellers.

https://www.mhpbooks.com/yet-more-e...sinesses-with-proprietary-ranking-algorithms/

https://stillnessinthestorm.com/201...-algorithm-to-favor-more-profitable-products/

"Amazon has steadily gobbled up market share even as small businesses around the country have struggled to survive the Covid-19 pandemic. Amazon's stock is up 77% over last year and it has already hired 175,000 people during the pandemic.
    Meanwhile, according to Yelp, as of August 31, 163,735 US businesses have been forced to close, and some estimate that 60% will not reopen. The loss of a small business is never merely economic; it is a loss for the community. A thriving local community is inseparable from a thriving local economy." - Mark Mitchell-

20. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    jjones.yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Well it’s not false, for me. Your experience may vary. It’s easy for me to find small business on Amazon. Also, the pandemic isn’t a reason to hate Amazon. If mom and pop could provide an online presence and shipping as well, then they’d have a better chance. But most dont. So they’re stuck with people coming in.

was someone risking their life so that mom and pop could have a store worth it just to stick it to Amazon?

Products Discussed in

To Top