1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Apr 16, 2021 at 9:53 PM
    ssd_dan

ssd_dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    shell, skids, sliders, suspension, bumper, winch
    It is well to consider when newly purchasing or considering various bikes:

For rear tire width, you are usually limited by the gaps in the frame at the seatstays/chainstays, not necessarily by the rim, much less the fork, lol.
    No cmc available here so choose wisely. <<laughing-rolling head emoji>>

Lots of dropper discussion a few pages back.
    TL/DR: you really should get one, you will find riding with one tremendously enjoyable.

When considering what travel class/type of bike to get- broduro vs downcountry vs triple crown sleds-, take stock of the type of riding and analyze the type of trails you will likely want to ride in your area. Then Buy a Hardtail!

Older/lower end bikes tend to be harder to upgrade later should that be a concern.
    OTOH the used market is hot hot hot, as you will know/learn as a buyer, particularly in the older entry level/lower end market.

Going tubeless is vastly overrated.
    Messy. Expensive. Overly complicated. Minimal at best purported gains.
    I mean you have to pour a bunch of sealant in there every few months, so are inner tubes really the source of such a great weight- rotational or otherwise?
    Honestly I cannot remember the last time I flatted on rocks or sticks and it was not operator error (e.g. pinch flat).
    For that type of reason, you will want a way to reinflate a de-beaded tire on the trail. Not exactly straight forward on tubeless if you run out of CO2.
    I find a spare tube or patch kit and mini pump pretty failsafe*. But only until the pump runs out of Earth's atmosphere.

*I have run out of spare tubes (but not patches also). I also had a cheap pump fail so while a grain of salt may be in order with my 'failsafe' claim, it arguably user error if one knowingly carries around cheap tools!

2. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:07 PM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested

Tubeless is such a leap forward compared to tubes. It's not about weight, it's about durability and reliability, though they are marginally lighter. Get a thorn in a tube, game over. Pinch flat, game over. Tubeless seals itself for small punctures and is impossible to pinch flat. Larger holes that won't seal can be plugged without unmounting the tire or a tube can be installed into a tubeless tire to limp back to the trailhead or elsewhere. It might be in my head but tubeless seem to be more compliant, too. Maybe it's because the tire pressures can be lower without the risks that come with lower pressures when using inner tubes.

I rode tubes for 20 years on my mountain bikes and had some of the same thoughts as you when tubeless came out, along with the reliability and sealing issues that were apparent when tubeless was still an immature idea, but about 10 years ago I switched and it's nothing but better in every way. On a quality tire I don't even air up as often as I did with tubes and instead of getting a flat every few hundred miles I get a flat, well, almost never. I've burped a couple times but after a quick air up it's good to go. Now that I think about it, it's probably been almost 10k miles since I've had a full on flat and that was a sidewall tear from a rock that would have taken out any tire, tubes or otherwise.

That said, if I'm riding further away than I care to hike, I carry a tube, pump and tools so that I can inflate a tie that losses it's air for whatever reason because like you said, getting a tubeless bead to seat with a hand pump or even CO2 is unlikely to happen on the trail.

If tubeless was such a hassle for no gain, the fad would have passed long ago. The same "complicated", "minimal or no gains", etc argument was made about full suspension bikes and disc brakes when they were new. Sure, they had issues when they were new, just like tubeless, but once they matured they were a huge advantage.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    honda50r and paleh0rse like this.
  3. Apr 16, 2021 at 11:13 PM
    ssd_dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    Ok, respect for the differing experience :thumbsup:. Sounds like we've both dialed in our style.
    Not flatting is part of becoming an experienced rider (knowing proper tire pressure for our weight and tire size, for example). And it's not too thorny in where I ride, luckily.

To be fair, suspension was really bad in the early days but has improved vastly since.
    Disk brakes were alway superior to rim brakes, and steadily gotten better. But weight weenies and a cultural bias against braking slowed their adoption across the industry.

Ok, so like all tires are tubeless compatible these days so maybe that's changed.
    But isn't a tubeless set up just a 'special' stem, extra tape and the goop?
    Same as day 1, no? Enlighten me!

Punctures aside, I don't think there was a noticeable difference in my tubed bikes vs my one set up tubeless. I have to run my tires (2.4 and 2.35) @~28-35psi. They start to get too mushy in the corners below that.
    Mushiness aside, running pressures as low as tubeless allows would put me at risk of surviving a pinch flat but damaging my rim!
    Whiiiiiiizzzzzzz--KANK!

4. Apr 17, 2021 at 4:10 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    I used to ride close to 30 psi on a 2.3 tire tubed, now I'm riding about 24 front 25 rear 29x2.6 with a 31mm rim on a hardtail and I'm 215lbs. I can go as low as 22/23 before I start rolling the carcass over the rim when really railing corners. The rim width makes a huge difference in supporting the tire and allowing lower pressures.

Disc brakes were definitely not always superior to rim brakes. I remember mid 90s working at my LBS the early rock shox branded discs (I think they were made by formula or some other motorcycle brake manufacturer) and they were so bad. When they worked they were just ok. Any amount of dirt or anything plus a little heat and the pistons would get stuck in the bore. There were others that were unreliable or just plain not effective around the same time and after. It only took a few years and they all got better quickly.

Tubeless setup is mostly the same but wheel manufacturers and tubeless parts suppliers (often the one and the same) make things like rim strips that just plain work. The "goop", or sealant and it's called, is just latex dissolved and suspended in a carrier liquid. It's more like water than "goop". One thing that has changed since the early days is tools to setup tubeless. Syringe injectors that go through the valve stem make injecting (and removing) sealant a cinch and mess free while allowing precise measuring of quantity.

I'm not going to try to say you're wrong for not going tubeless, etc, but I guarantee if you tried a proper tubeless setup you would spend less time overall messing with your tires (I only mess with them when I change tires) and would get a better, more reliable and more compliant ride.

5. Apr 17, 2021 at 4:11 AM
    gdb85

gdb85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    If your budget will allow or you could find a way to stretch it, that is a solid deal. Really good bike to start back with and quality enough to grow into as you get more experience and skills. Very worth while to upgrade as things wear out or if you just want better components. Plus tires are nice on a hardtail to start with and if you find you are really digging MTB again you can throw on a set of 29er wheels and really up the game a bit.

stinger86[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 17, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DCSB TRDOR 4x4 Quicksand
    I don’t think tubeless vs tubes is really a debate. Tubeless is superior in many ways with little to no downside. I’d probably stop shy of saying it’s a game changer (though it is for some areas and situations) but it’s a solid improvement with really no downside.

levie125, Coolerman and backcountryj like this.
  7. Apr 17, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    ssd_dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    I'm gonna hafta hand you the one about the very earliest disc brakes, which were heavy and weak. Busted. :anonymous:

I had a shop set up my new Litespeed, and they refused to put inner tubes in it, lol. My other bikes are tubed. So I ride both.
    So I am saying tire pressure is similar in all my bikes- it is as low as I can go before I 'start rolling the carcass' or casing my rim... Doesn't matter if there is sealant or an inner tube in there- it's the actual air pressure doing the hard work between the tire and rim. So again, not sure how tubeless is working better for me when the pressures are more or less the same.
    Is there some special secret to the 'set up' beside holding the desired air pressure?

OTOH I never have had an 'unreliable' tube. Nor have I had to adjust any tube. I have never had a tube slowly wear out and have to be periodically refreshed. No special syringe required for applying an inner tube. Going tubeless to fix problems that don't exist with tubes is silly.
    I don't have to carry an extra container of liquid or disposable canisters of cg when I ride. Just a patch kit or add a spare tube if I want to be lazy on the trail.
    And I am still waiting for someone to (re)install a tire without a tube, trailside. (brake cleaner and a match anyone?)

Now the unspoken elephant in the room is riding style. I have no style. I am ~175lbs geared up and 0lbs of finesse. I am hard on my wheels- I plow through the chunder, case landings, gleefully scrub speed/course correct with the sides of ruts, and the like. And I must have a firm response in the corners. I never run sub 20psi, therefore I don't reap reward from tubeless.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    levie125 likes this.
  8. Apr 17, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    ssd_dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    Look, you can't just say something is better and leave it at that.
    You have to back it up with evidence, cite personal experience, or say 'It is known' first.
    Sheesh!

levie125 and GrundleJuice like this.
  9. Apr 17, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
  10. Apr 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    ssd_dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    iriddler and Bannerman[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Apr 17, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    paleh0rse

paleh0rse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB
    yeah, that situation annoys the hell out of me. Wondering how dumbed-down it will be when it opens back up. I don't think they'll mess with the XC trails, but the jump lines will probably all be small rollers when they're done. Very lame.

Bannerman[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 17, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    #rocklessrockgarden

paleh0rse[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 17, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DCSB TRDOR 4x4 Quicksand
    I mean there is a reason that it is the industry standard for both recreational and professional mountain biking. I don't have to explain why disk brakes are better than rim brakes either because it is an accepted fact across the industry, and anyone who has used both extensively would agree. I literally don't know anyone who has used a modern tubeless and decided to go back to tubes. There is really no legitimate downside to tubeless and only upsides. So IMO the burden of proof is on you when you are trying to make a claim that goes against common knowledge.

14. Apr 17, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    This shifty bastard was hiding in the woods and tried to take off on my bike while we were taking a break and freeing up my buddy's rear wheel that was caked with mud......................probably because it is tubeless and has disc brakes.

20210417_085903.jpg

the stuff you run across out on the trail in the middle of nowhere........

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  15. Apr 17, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    Complex

Complex Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma TRD PRO
    Anyone know if a tailgate pad that doesn’t cover the backup camera on 3rd gens?

16. Apr 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM
    RockiesTaco

RockiesTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    2021 JLUR
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  17. Apr 18, 2021 at 3:20 AM
    neatoneto

neatoneto Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I got my buddy to buy that same bike last year and I’ve been trying to buy it off of him since. Very solid platform and a frame that has endless upgrade opportunities. That being said don’t break the bank. The Coop 1.1 is still a solid bike. Even if you end up upgrading at the end of the year to something better you’ll probably keep it around for your buddies to join you. It’s a contagious sport!

18. Apr 18, 2021 at 5:17 AM
    Jkinz11

Jkinz11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sk
    Vehicle:
    13 limited DC
    3472CC42-D8B4-4893-8BF9-DA129690E394.jpg
    First time posting here. This is my 2018 Kona Wo, just curious if anyone else has had this issue on any bike before? Mostly city commuting year round in Canada

19. Apr 18, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    gdb85

gdb85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I have not had that happen but...by the looks of rust and corrosion it appears to have been an unnoticed crack for awhile. That is not a "just happened while I was riding along" kind of break. Not implying anything just responding to the info presented...

20. Apr 18, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    As I’m going down for ankle surgery, wanted a place to throw the 1up rack and their wall mount wasn’t priced bad at all. 3 lag bolts and it’s done. 10 minutes!

@Bannerman

A9C47CB1-CB8D-4CB1-876F-451AD9A25F17.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top