1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Our local club that maintains trails had a group ride tonight. I didn’t join, but did ride tonight, still on mountain resting right now. Waiting on sun to get out of line of sight. These trails are becoming more and more raw up the mountain and I love it. Climbing is getting harder and downhill is getting wilder.

Edit. This was supposed to post about an hour ago. I’m in truck now. This is first day without severe flood warning since the tropical storm.

BFC7127F-C32D-4A22-97B9-F43D0E72468E.jpg
    5526DDB3-D8C0-485E-AF50-816C5C501CE7.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  2. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    That looks like some fun!

Pablo8 likes this.
  3. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    What general region?

4. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    A club that doesn’t absolutely bash you for riding certain trails when wet is a huge plus. Of course don’t ride the flat trails at the bottom that are nothing but a mud puddle, but these raw trails with streams going across them with water off the mountain no one bats an eye.
    Alabama, it’s the foothills of the Appalachian mtns. Oak Mtn Pelham AL

5. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    str8edgMTBMXer

str8edgMTBMXer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DCLB; midnight black metallic
    I have had the double Super Duty, with 2 extensions, for 5 years now. Used to be on my RAV4, and it was way more wobbly with 4 bikes than on my truck. The hitch on the RAV4 was Reese 2" that I had put on. I think it's recievr was a little wider than true 2" b/c I had my normal hitch wobble a bit too on it.

In fact, it does not move vertically at all on the truck, and it barely moves horizontally when I take graded turns or curb check sometimes. It is super solid. I do load heaviest bikes closest to the hitch. It is on the truck 24/7...and was also on the RAV4 24/7...

6. Jun 23, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    dwphoto

dwphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Toyota Guy
    Solid score for sure.

Pablo8[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 23, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    jjones.yota

jjones.yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    My favorite color is green…but this cannondale Jekyll in purple haze is sick

09E4E00B-29DE-4618-BACC-D19401F08D21.jpg

E-Paz 732NJ, piff, Pablo8 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jun 23, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    I was actually thinking the Alta rack is better regardless of the number of bikes. It seemed at least as sturdy as the 1up (includes an integrated anti-wobble), easier to load, and doesn't need to be folded up when not in use. The ability to carry 6 was just a bonus, especially since the tailgate pad isn't an option for me.

I still love my 1up, but seeing the new Alta Rack has my curious.

9. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.

Yeah, with 2 bikes, the thing is rock solid and i don't notice any problems. with 4 bikes, then it just moves vertically. horizontally, there is absolutely no play. Like I said, I'm not too worried mostly because the whole thing moves as a single unit. But, it does look disconcerting. I've though about trying to tighten thing up or even putting a bar along the bottom to keep things all together. But, they all feel hackish to me.

I've looked at alta racks. the big one everyone is buying is velocirax. Similar concept. More availability. The thing I LOVE about my 1up is, well, it folds up REALLY slimly and I can park in my garage. I'm not entirely sure I can do that with alta or velocirax. If i'm carrying 4+ bikes, I'll just use my tailgate pad.

abacall[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    BattleKat

BattleKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Offroad 4x4 - Army Green
    6112/5160s Icon RXT Leaf Pack (Option 2) Cali Raised 0-Degree Rock Sliders Cali Raised Bed Stiffeners Talon's Garage Cat Shield TRD Skid Plate ARE MX Interchangeable Yoda Dashboard Buddies
    I'm on the wait list for a 1UP 2 bike carrier hitch rack. What do you do for security of the bikes since the arms don't have a lock? At least I believe they don't.

The hitch rack used to not have a lock for the b=hitch either but I believe the added it. The secutiry of the bikes themselves has me a little concerned. Do you just put a big old chain/cable type lock wrapped around them and the carrier?

11. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    Anyone follow the Pikes Peak Apex? Its a XC? race in Colorado Springs. This is the second year they're hosting it.

They have been hiding canisters with goodies around trails for people to find. The last 2 were in Colorado Springs, but the current one is near Slaughter Pen according to the IG post.

I'm not sure where that is, but thought I saw it mentioned in this thread. Maybe one of you guys go can find it?

abacall and levie125 like this.
  12. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    They have a hitch lock as well as locks for the bikes on the arms that you can buy. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks-qtr-turn/

if you put all your locks on one order, then it all comes keyed the same.

That said, someone could still just undo your wheels and theoretically take the bike. Kinda a bit annoying to do it but it is technically feasible.

I also have a really long thick steel cable that's locked to my truck bed that i run through my wheels and frames and then u lock again to something.

I also have a kryptonite chain lock that I use to either lock my frame to the rack or lock several bikes together. Someone would have to defeat at least 3 different locks to get any bike off my rack.

BattleKat[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    I kinda did not know exactly at the time and still I can only look up list prices after the fact and such but the carbon rims alone are like $1500-$1600(?) Sure Marzocchi isn't top line, but good enough for me. Frame?? $3000?? That sort of give and take. Just right at $5K is what it set me back and I am guessing over $4500 to build it myself, so OK deal in these crazy times

14. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    BattleKat

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    6112/5160s Icon RXT Leaf Pack (Option 2) Cali Raised 0-Degree Rock Sliders Cali Raised Bed Stiffeners Talon's Garage Cat Shield TRD Skid Plate ARE MX Interchangeable Yoda Dashboard Buddies
    Ah thank you, I forgot about theses. I saw these on the website and then forgot about them.

ginseng27[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    Lol. it happens. Their website isn't the best to navigate but at least their stuff is well categorized. :D

16. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    dwphoto

dwphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Toyota Guy
    Cruised up to SkyPark Bike park in Lake Arrowhead over the weekend...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allegedly it was the park's 66th birthday?.. So they had the local news up there....A buddy and I both had our little guys ripping the little pump track on striders. They asked if they could film them riding in a few mins... we agreed, kids continued riding. a few mins before they went live my son dropped in and sent it OTB pretty bad. Everyone was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

He gets up, dusts his hands off and picks up his bike up, and continues on for 30 ft or so... looks down at his elbow bleeding and completely melts down haha... Got him calmed down, we walked down to first aid to clean it up and got a couple bandaids...he missed his 15 mins of fame. No big deal. He was ready to go back up and shred....

As we are walking back up to where everyone was, a few of my buddies were like DUUUUUDEE you missed it.. The news lady... Sent the body, OTB on live TV...:bananadead:

link to video on IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQY24ttB5Xg/

haha she was actually a pretty good sport about it. She came up to make sure C was okay and told him that she fell too.

Rest of the day was awesome getting some laps in with the boys. SkyPark has a bunch of skinnies,wood features, flow trails, jump lines.

Little edit off the go pro quik app.

That garbage song selection.... you're welcome.

Had a post-ride feast with a few too many sport sodas.:anonymous:

[​IMG]

Can't wait to go back up there.

oh and the new meats on the bike felt great.
    [​IMG]

17. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    I promise I enjoyed your whole post and that's hilarious the news lady did that. But meanwhile your first picture you parked your truck...on the porch? Was it a deck or was it reinforced?

18. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    BattleKat

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Great post! I have Skypark on my list to hit up on a fall camping trip up to Big Bear. How does it compare to a day at Snow Summit Bike Park?

I am not a super aggressive rider. 54 yrs old, been Mountain Biking for 30+ years (ack!), and have always been more of a cross country rider. Like at Snow Summit, I ride two trails mainly - Going Green and Turtle. It is a fun day for me but I don't do jumps, etc.

Is Skypark worth a stop for 1/2 a day on my way up to Big Bear? I think a day ticket is like $58?

19. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Transit by Axis Vehicle Outfitters
    I've heard less than stellar reviews on the velocirax; apparently it's not as sturdy as Alta rack.

20. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    Huh. I've heard the exact opposite. :/

Products Discussed in

To Top