1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Jul 15, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    ridge

ridge One Gear; No Fear

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCSB M6
    MESO!
    :evil:

It does make for a very versatile riding platform.

IMG_1451.jpg

2. Jul 15, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    Yeah that makes it hard because they don't allow dogs. We were visiting my parents in Thompson Falls so we left the dogs at their place for the day. Then left them alone while they met us in Murray for the best pizza in the PNW. I haven't tried it all, but I won't argue. Damn good pizza and beer.

3. Jul 15, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    Goathead swapped owners or something not too long ago if I remember right. I guess Chris and his gf had a falling and and Chris got out? All second hand news, my friend is closer to the original Goathead guy.
    I still have their v2 derailleur hangar tool though. Not terrible, but I wouldn't have been mad if I got a park tools hangar guide either

levie125[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 15, 2021 at 10:51 AM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    This is my first season on a bike with any sort of suspension. 150/140mm on my Instinct. It's a bit of a learning curve to trust the bike to float over things instead of hanging on like a bronc-rider. Ha. My FS is such a foreign sensation sometimes.

When I finally do let it do it's thing though....damn you can rip through some wild stuff with such disregard. I love it.

mrtonyd likes this.
  5. Jul 15, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    There's a section on the path I ride on with my road bike where the geese hang out in the pond and then walk across and eat in the yards or whatever. Anyway, the stretch is always littered with goose shit.

Someone named the stretch in Strava.

upload_2021-7-15_14-28-14.jpg

6. Jul 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    ridge

ridge One Gear; No Fear

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCSB M6
    MESO!
    [OldFartSoapbox] Learning to ride a hardtail fast and smooth makes you a more efficient rider on any pedaling platform. Riding a HT fast and smooth means looking further down trail to read the smoothest and fastest line, really understanding your body's engagement with the equation between the bike's stability and the trail surface, as well as reading the trail in an instant. If it feels like you're riding a bucking bronco; you're doing it wrong or riding a trail that was never designed for a hardtail.[/OldFartSoapbox]

jjones.yota, honda50r and GarlicFarts like this.
  7. Jul 15, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    I love the hardtail. But I started in the BMX world. I don't like full suspension as much as I thought I would, even the 27.5 still feels like a trail dozer instead of riding the trails. That said, I am selling my HT. The full squish is more suited for what I want to do and go forward with, vs my 26 hardtail. Let alone a 29 full suspension it's not really riding the trails, it's just driving over the obstacles, from what I see a lot of modern riders doing (amateurs like me and others riding my rinky dink trails, not pros).

ridge[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 15, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    ridge

ridge One Gear; No Fear

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCSB M6
    MESO!
    Without a doubt, you should ride the bike most suited to the trails you ride most often. Around here, with our elevation; most FS are really overkill and I'd wager a keg of beer that they're purchased primarily so the riders can just ride over the trail chunder without giving much thought into line choice. Many of our trails have roots, rocks, loose gravel, and are a holdover from once being bandit trails later converted to officially supported trails. The newer trails and systems are being constructed with long-term sustainability in mind and catered more to adding flow where it makes sense but keeping technicality in places it doesn't. If I show up to the local evening MTB rides; I will be one of maybe two riders on a HT and I generally stay to the front or leading when it gets technically fast because I can hit the fastest lines from riding them so often. The other bikes in the group are typically 130+ FS bikes such that the riders are struggling on the short, punchy climbs so frequent to our trails. Being in central North Carolina though; it's just a couple hours drive to Pisgah trails and the longer travel bikes make more sense, but you'll still see a fair number of HTs out there as well.

I mean; I'm looking at a FS purchase at some point this year so I can go hit some of the more technically challenging descent trails out west and in the western part of the state, but I won't be giving up my hardtails any time soon. They're just too much fun and I know I'm a more proficient rider for having them as the primary weapons in my quiver.

GarlicFarts[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 15, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Wow. I had no clue Nox wheels were based out of Knoxville. I like that.

jjones.yota likes this.
  10. Jul 15, 2021 at 12:35 PM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Oh yeah! I mean, sort of, they're chinesium wheels but they are assembled and decals applied here in K-Town. Pretty much like all the other brands

11. Jul 15, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    DingleTower

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    You read that wrong. The hardtail is relatively a bucking bronco vs the FS. I wasn't being that literal.

No need to question my smoothness. Ha. My go-to was a rigid SS Kona Unit for years. I was just speaking to the fact that the FS can take whatever line with much more ease. I don't need to be as careful picking lines anymore. Which is good.... Now that I'm an old fart too.

ridge[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Chinesium. I’m gonna use that.

Yea I figured ‘based out of’ was likely to be more accurate than anything else.

13. Jul 15, 2021 at 1:08 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    [OldFartResponse] I tend to agree and disagree. Riding a hardtail fast on a rough trail definitely improves your overall skills. But, I find that I ride differently on a HT than I do on a FS. On a HT, you know your back tire is not always going to have the same amount of contact as your front (assuming you are running a suspension fork). Maybe not bucking like a bronco, but definitely not always giving you full traction. I tend to ride the front wheel more on a HT, and stay light and agile on the back letting my legs be the suspension, let it do what it wants to a point. On a FS, I ride more balanced and tend to like a very neutral bike. But, it took a while to get used to a FS. I can't imagine never riding a HT and trying one after only riding FS, though, that would definitely be trickier.[/OldFartResponse]

When I moved to Bentonville and saw all the big jumps and drops, I moved from a Trek Fuel (130/120) to a Remedy (160/150). I used to have an Iron Horse 7.7 (180/180) with that massive RockShox Totem fork, and it would eat up everything. It was a pig to pedal, well, anywhere, but it rode like a Cadillac. The Remedy was much better to pedal and was brilliant on fast, rough downhills, but it wouldn't really "wake up" until you hit 15 mph or more. Most of my riding involves pedaling, mostly under that speed, and I never really used more than 75% of the travel, so I knew it was more bike than I personally need (I am older now and avoid the really big, dangerous stuff so I can live to ride another day). The newer Fuels went up to 140/130 travel, so I went back to a Fuel. It's as good as the Remedy was on the fast, rough stuff, but way easier to handle for the bulk of a ride. I think the 140/150 range is a good sweet spot -- enough for most riders with some cushion to spare without being overly awkward.

jubei, honda50r, neatoneto and 3 others like this.
  14. Jul 15, 2021 at 1:25 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    We all make mistakes.

15. Jul 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    ridge

ridge One Gear; No Fear

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCSB M6
    MESO!
    Goodonya; keep ripping then! :cheers:

levie125 likes this.
  16. Jul 15, 2021 at 2:36 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    All right now, what is that supposed to mean? I like it here.

levie125 and GarlicFarts[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Jul 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DCSB TRDOR 4x4 Quicksand
    It seems most people who have visited or live there like it. It's the ones who haven't that get a bit jealous they don't live in an area built around mountain biking.

levie125 likes this.
  18. Jul 15, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Well, it's not for everyone, but suits me and my family just fine. Wondering if he had a bad experience here, and why.

Someone made the comment that they never run into any locals on the trails when visiting here. I've noticed that as well -- most of the people I run into on the major trail systems are visiting. I may have found a reason for this. They are always building new trails and don't advertise them broadly until they are well-ridden and ready. I found out there are some new ones right behind my house that aren't advertised yet, so I went exploring over the holiday weekend. They were obviously being ridden, although new, and all I ran into were locals! So I guess I gotta keep secrets like the other locals.

levie125 and backcountryj like this.
  19. Jul 15, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    DingleTower

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    I'm coming down to Bentonville at the end of January for Cyclocross Worlds in Fayetteville. Can't wait to check out the trail system, drink the beers, and eat the BBQ.

I've missed being able to come down to the US! This is, of course, assuming the border is open by then. Also assuming weather will be cooperative.

levie125 likes this.
  20. Jul 15, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    Harry P. Ness

Harry P. Ness Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 silver double cab trd off road
    Riding some dirt tomorrow. Still undecided if it will be single track or some gravel exploration.
    EB60FA1E-2CFB-4EC1-9126-E8FDEC1EB78B.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top