1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Things Bikes and Tacos! (...and every vehicle imaginable)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Aug 19, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    medicfung

medicfung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4 6ft bed quicksand
  2. Aug 19, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    medicfung

medicfung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4 6ft bed quicksand
  3. Aug 19, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    That trail looks hella fun!

4. Aug 19, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    MGM3Pedal

MGM3Pedal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Appalachian Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB 6MT TRD Sport 4X4
    FSR-ROSCOE.jpg

More riding in Wilkes. First time doing Warrior Creek (backwards by mistake). Photo Op at lunch after the ride...

abacall, E-Paz 732NJ and paleh0rse like this.
  5. Aug 19, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    flipnidaho

flipnidaho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I might be into that if the timing is right. When is that meetup?

6. Aug 19, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    dynamicweight

dynamicweight Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love my local bike shops and I am happy to go buy stuff from them, but this is simply not true. All sports products generally have 30-50% profit margin and bike shops are no different. Most other industries have to deal with 10% margin. Now, bike shops do offer service that other places don't. And, in general, their employees have more knowledge than other shops. Also, there are labor costs in setting up a bike. I get that no one is getting rich selling bikes, but to say they are low margin is silly.

I didn't believe it either talking to shops until I found a place that let me go through their catalog (I didn't ask, they offered, I am not cheap, I am happy to pay for things I want and to support those who make them available). Sure enough, a $900 frame cost them $500 bucks. A $1400 complete cost them like $800.

Even comparing to Amazon you can see they have huge markups. I just bought a rear cassette from my LBS actually. 25 from them. 18 on amazon. Yeah I paid the extra 7 bucks because I like having a shop close by. Plus they are generous with advice and small parts.

113tac likes this.
  7. Aug 19, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    paleh0rse

paleh0rse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB
  8. Aug 19, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    IllTrucko

IllTrucko Well-Known Member

Member:
    From what I hear, it used to be! Unfortunately, it's been left/forgotten for a few years, so it's getting sketchier as time goes on. The trail system is coming back up though, so we'll see if we can jump in on the labor/donations to get it back up to snuff. Based on the feeling I got riding that part, I'm gonna want to step it up to the rest of it, so I need it to get spruced up ASAP!

9. Aug 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    We had a trail system like that. Used to be pretty dead and sketchy, then it REALLY picked up last year, there's a bike skills area / jump line being built, etc. Really great to have it come alive again, and is actually one of the more popular riding spots around the valley these days.

10. Aug 19, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    abacall

abacall Life's too short

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    UT
    Vehicle:
    2020 VooDoo DCSB OR
    Damn man, that’s a hard hit. Glad you’re ok, that could have been worse.
    Maybe a squishy fork and flat pedals could have saved you :anonymous: I kinda kid...

Damn that looks fun. Big bear? Might have to get out that way soon.

That’s not a profit margin, that’s mark-up. Bike shops are definitely low profit. Like you said, no ones getting rich selling bikes.
    Yes, it’s generally a 30-40% markup, but there’s a reason brick and mortar shops are closing. They’re getting undersold by online shops that offer the convenience of sitting on your ass and getting shit to your door for less.
    All I’m saying is that for a few extra dollars it pays in the long run. I know it’s important to me to have a local shop. That shop stays in business when I shop and service there.
    I’m a teacher, and the money is hard earned. I’m frugal on a lot of things, but I try to buy local, support smaller companies that do shit right, and donate to trails.
    If you care about something deeply, you support it.

11. Aug 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    I really appreciate the input on the bike purchase. All this has helped me huge!
    If only I had not seen the MegaTower my decision would be easier ;)

Big Up to this thread!

abacall[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM
    Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 6spd
    5E8762EC-BBBE-46BA-A1FA-3B79BC22097F.jpg F7D215AE-3955-470E-BD63-029F073CEBEB.jpg 24.3 glorious miles today on my new acquisition. Mix gravel/pavement. This geometry really does soak up small bumps. I did some seat and stem fitting and tuning. I used to have a lot of issues with hands going numb on my converted road bike but it was held in check today. Set several PRs on the lake loop today. I’ve heard reports of people shedding a pound on this bike by dropping the tubes. I’ll get around to that this week hopefully.

DarthPow likes this.
  13. Aug 19, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    weldertaco

weldertaco Mr.13%bodyfat

Member:
    texas
    Vehicle:
    TrailRunner
    4wd to 2wd conversion
  14. Aug 19, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    FirsandFire

FirsandFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    No more Taco. A 2500HD and a Bronco sport
    Not all shops gouge like that so don’t paint with such a wide brush. MANY local bike shops are low-margin, it’s not silly to say. Generally the higer-end the bike, the lower the margins are. Looking through a catalog at one shop isn’t enough data to label brick and mortar shops as greedy. I’m glad you acknowledge that the service and knowledge at a LBS is worth something though. Unfortunately D-T-C companies and the internet is killing smaller shops (not just in the bike world). Everyone is more concerned with saving a few bucks than helping support the community they live in. Amazon and Walmart don’t sponsor local little league teams, OR trail cleanup days, races, skills camps etc. they’re trying to make a living and keep their employees paid. (There is also a TON of politics within the cycling industry but that’s a whole different conversation)
    /rant

abacall likes this.
  15. Aug 19, 2019 at 8:09 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I hate to pile on this topic, but markup on a bike is not the same as profit margin. If (and that’s a big if) the LBS sells at list to get that markup, they probably paid for having the bike shipped to them, they paid someone to assemble it and provide a first free tuneup, swap stems/bars/saddle so it fits you, not to mention paying rent, utilities, taxes etc etc. The bike distributors also usually have a required minimum order, and they also have rules about what prices their dealers can advertise. Owning a bike shop is not a great path to wealth.

JagoTaco, paleh0rse, abacall and 3 others like this.
  16. Aug 19, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    weldertaco

weldertaco Mr.13%bodyfat

Member:
    texas
    Vehicle:
    TrailRunner
    4wd to 2wd conversion
    Off/on topic. I was in my LBS the other day and this dude thoighjt he would be slick and decided to buy a bike online and put it together when he got it.

He had to talk it into the bike shop cause he couldn’t get anything right and he had to pay them to fix it all Hahahaha. Felt bad for the chap but one thing I’ve learned with life is if you cheap out, you’re gonna pay for it twice. So might as well just do it right and pay for it once.

JagoTaco, abacall, 113tac and 2 others like this.
  17. Aug 19, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    That def sucks for that guy...at the same time it pays to understand how your bike works and how to repair it. In the DH realm you would be potentially waiting forever on a mechanic to fix things that could be addressed in a half hour if you have the tools and some common spare parts. I have to admit it takes ALOT for me to get a mechanic to wrench on my bike besides taking off a pita new tire.

abacall likes this.
  18. Aug 19, 2019 at 11:31 PM
    Jukas

Jukas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand DCSB TRD Off Road
    He may still have come out ahead for all you know. I bought my original bronson from competitive, and they gave me such a smoking deal on a cc x01 build I couldn't pass it up and my lbs said they couldn't even come close to touching it. When it arrived it said it the blimit and gears had been indexed, but they obviously hadn't. I took it to the shop, and gladly paid them their labor to fix it and to my surprise competitive reimbursed me the shops labor rate. I still go to that shop for labor when I can't figure something out, and softgoods as needed. When I'm ready for a new bike I know they'll give me at least 10% off (standing 10% discount for anyone who's a member of the local cycling club) but I will still check online to see what the options are.

paleh0rse likes this.
  19. Aug 20, 2019 at 12:38 AM
    Northshorepro

Northshorepro Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2018 black TRD Pro
    Lights bd s2 pro, 33s, kb voodoo rack, smitty built tent, raptor lights, kc cyclones in engine, sound proofed cabin, power tailgate lock, alpine entire upgrade, meso puddle pods, etc …
    Mt shasta on a bike trip this month from BC to Cali

8B177BDB-CE15-4BF0-831C-CBFCEBF91382.jpg

PNWskibum, Alden, paleh0rse and 3 others like this.
  20. Aug 20, 2019 at 5:11 AM
    abacall

abacall Life's too short

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    UT
    Vehicle:
    2020 VooDoo DCSB OR
    Interesting how MTB is influencing gravel these days.
    Shedding a pound on tubes is a great way to make a significant improvement. All that rotational mass is easy to feel. Do it!

Never noticed that the new Spartan 29 has such a similar colorway as the last.

E5E0B188-ABAE-4A37-AF72-9B06421D100B.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top